Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Are houses being burned purposely in Detroit

A relative told me that the City is burning houses purposely in Detroit, and it's an effort to drive people out of their homes.

Oh, you think so?

What's stands out bitterly is when you watch the difference between response times depending where you live.

No question they're letting them burn out if they are not occupied and in certain areas.
    Last edited by softailrider; August-22-15 at 09:25 PM.

This is news? It's a Detroit tradition...it's just that the city is letting it happen,now.

First off, what source did you even cite that mentioned that the city was intentionally burning them down?

I recall a few days before Halloween [[many years ago) seeing a giant, nice occupied house overlooking 94 as one goes further east burning at the top floor. I pulled over, and got on the cellphone to call 911. The agent apathetically said that "They knew", that lots of others have called [[I saw two other cars pulled over to watch it), that folks need to stop calling, as they will handle it.

I waited over 45 minutes as it burned out of control, and no units or engines showed up to handle it.

It's not so much a matter of the "city" itself sending out any kind of "orders" to burn down houses. It is a fact that more than 80% of all fires in the city are suspicious [[arson), and most of those are from sheer "boredom" and the fact that the odds of ever being caught is next to nothing. The fire department will show up to all fires [[and false alarms) an actively fight those fires where the structure is: 1) occupied; 2) next to existing structures [[occupied or not); 3) in a remaining neighborhood that is still relatively populated.

The issues now are whether or not the fire-hydrants in the surrounding area are functional, as there have been two fires in the last week which both damaged surrounding structures because of non functioning water. Another one is that the equipment the DFD has is in major disrepair, not to mention the thinned out work-force is busy fighting an arson case four out of every five fires. Do they let fires burn? Sure, the ones that don't meet the criteria above, but you will probably find efforts to save any building granted proper conditions.

I do recall a fire-fighter telling me a couple years ago that he wished people would stop calling in fires at the Packard plant, which were perpetual and required constant baby-sitting when the DFD would show up. [[There is a station 4 blocks west). These took up time and resources which could have otherwise been used to deal with other situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    It's not so much a matter of the "city" itself sending out any kind of "orders" to burn down houses. It is a fact that more than 80% of all fires in the city are suspicious [[arson), and most of those are from sheer "boredom" and the fact that the odds of ever being caught is next to nothing. The fire department will show up to all fires [[and false alarms) an actively fight those fires where the structure is: 1) occupied; 2) next to existing structures [[occupied or not); 3) in a remaining neighborhood that is still relatively populated.

The issues now are whether or not the fire-hydrants in the surrounding area are functional, as there have been two fires in the last week which both damaged surrounding structures because of non functioning water. Another one is that the equipment the DFD has is in major disrepair, not to mention the thinned out work-force is busy fighting an arson case four out of every five fires. Do they let fires burn? Sure, the ones that don't meet the criteria above, but you will probably find efforts to save any building granted proper conditions.

I do recall a fire-fighter telling me a couple years ago that he wished people would stop calling in fires at the Packard plant, which were perpetual and required constant baby-sitting when the DFD would show up. [[There is a station 4 blocks west). These took up time and resources which could have otherwise been used to deal with other situations.
    I'm sure all of the above is true. However, there's no question in my mind that they are treating not occupied houses in certain areas differently then they did 3 or 4 years ago by letting them burn out or burn through the roofs where in the past there was more effort to extinguish them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    ... Another one is that the equipment the DFD has is in major disrepair,....
    Help is on the way!

Detroit shows off its [5] new, shiny fire trucks

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    A relative told me that the City is burning houses purposely in Detroit, and it's an effort to drive people out of their homes.
    Your relative may have been referring to the investigation that Steve Neavling [[Motorcitymuckraker.com creator) did earlier this year. Here's a sample:

http://motorcitymuckraker.com/2015/0...gs-in-detroit/

As yes, the sheer joy of shrinking pains...

Does your relative have some documentation supporting their statement?
    Does your relative have contacts or insider information within the COD from which this information was passed on?
    Does your relative reside within the City and has been an eye witness to said events?

Tain't nuttin but triage concerning real estate....

Risk little to save little. Risk a lot to save a lot. Said every fire academy instructor I ever had.

DetroitBoy Guest

Most of the fires are arson. Your neighborhood should be policing their hoodlums instead accusing the City for doing something as dumb as this. I'd rather see an arson fire burn an isolated house down than have firefighters risk their lives on a fire like that.

The firemen in the City work hard, are understaffed with old equipment and have stations that are dumps. I know it is asking a lot for the ghetto people to do because the world oppresses you so much, but try to have some respect for the police and firemen who might save your life one day. And by the way when they do come to your neighborhood, don't steal equipment other things from their trucks while they are doing their jobs.

Default Purposely burning out ppl in the D

If there's actually background info to support this- that would definitely be a story worth investigating- I will jump all over it. I haven't yet noticed any city employees helping Mayor Nero spread the fires of Rome- nor have I noticed any lack of activity within Detroit's FD when their equipment is functioning...

As others have already mentioned- when fire fighting resources are scarce- saving ppl will always trump any lvl of property salvation [[especially derelict properties).

I can tell you guys this, the Detroit Police Department set 4 houses on Derby St. on fire earlier this spring after rousting one of the local block sets [[who has since set up shop in another spot that will soon meet the same demise I'm sure). The entire neighborhood and some surrounding business owners witnessed it, just like they've seen them set dozens of other dwellings on fire over the years for a myriad of reasons. There's no conspiracy, no need for citation, this is open-air policy off of the books and it's been going on, at least in that hood, since the formation of heavy handed anti-drug task forces with financial incentives and no real oversight.

The fire dept. does show up though, if only to make sure the fire doesn't spread to an occupied dwelling. And there aren't a whole lot of those left over there. Like circling the drain....

a tragic fire in my neighborhood today. Hope for the best for the surviving family members- http://www.wxyz.com/news/man-killed-...oit-house-fire
    DETROIT [[WXYZ) - An investigation continues into a deadly fire in Detroit.
    It took the life of an elderly man sleeping in his home on Yellowstone Monday morning.
    Investigators are interviewing witnesses and collecting evidence – to find out what happened.
    Sources tell 7 Action News the fire started this morning in a first floor bedroom in the house in a neighborhood not far from Livernois and the Jeffries.

Three people lived there. An elderly couple sleeps in the room where the fire started.
    The husband is the one who lost his life. His wife is in the hospital – rescued by firefighters.

The couple lived with their son- who has the bedroom upstairs.
    Neighbors say the loss could have been multiplied – but a young woman who lives nearby heard cries for help, told her dad—and her dad ran to the rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    I can tell you guys this, the Detroit Police Department set 4 houses on Derby St. on fire earlier this spring after rousting one of the local block sets [[who has since set up shop in another spot that will soon meet the same demise I'm sure). The entire neighborhood and some surrounding business owners witnessed it, just like they've seen them set dozens of other dwellings on fire over the years for a myriad of reasons. There's no conspiracy, no need for citation, this is open-air policy off of the books and it's been going on, at least in that hood, since the formation of heavy handed anti-drug task forces with financial incentives and no real oversight.

The fire dept. does show up though, if only to make sure the fire doesn't spread to an occupied dwelling. And there aren't a whole lot of those left over there. Like circling the drain....
    I'm sorry, but if I was witnessing the DPD starting house fires, you can bet the cameras would be rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I'm sorry, but if I was witnessing the DPD starting house fires, you can bet the cameras would be rolling.
    Roger that! I would hope that if an entire neighborhood watches a DPD employee light structures on fire that more evidence would be available- because it really isn't an 'off-the-books' operation after the entire hood sees it...

Not sure what you mean by "local block sets" I'm thinking you mean a drug house. As far as the "financial incentive" goes do you mean they were not paying off the drug task force so that's why they got burned out?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    You would put your face on the news? Or your name on a police report to tell the very same people that did this who you are and where you and your family can be found? I can tell you this, you are braver than I, because it wont be me nor anyone else over there, as they've seen what can happen first hand. Call me a no-snitcher if the shoe fits, but I value the lives of my loved ones.

People would assume that "of course" something heinous like the police setting fires to homes is something that would be front page news. Much worse has happened in this area for decades yet no one blinked an eye, not the people who were entrusted to do something about it nor the institutions people complained to when they did say something. No one gives a shit about dope neighborhoods until there is a career to be made or someone with power wants the land, and the city leaders would just as soon light the fires themselves if it means clearing out a section of town with the potential to create significant revenue or decrease the spending of public funds. I call this "Scorched Earth Policy."

SoftTR: The local block set is the crew who controls the movement of dope on that block. They do not claim a unifier other than that block and aren't big enough to be considered a gang or "organized crime." But they are small enough to stay under the radar until either another set moves on them or someone snitches and they get picked up by the raid van. Someone else in their crew opens another spot, probably on the same block, and it's business as usual. This is one reason why drug neighborhoods burn up so fast, whether its the cops or the guys themselves, or one of their pissed off girlfriends [[I've seen that a few times too).

The financial incentives I referred to are all encompassing, pay-offs by the dopeboys to the police, government money for fighting the war on drugs, and asset forfeiture funds.

DetroitBoy Guest

You would put your face on the news? Or your name on a police report to tell the very same people that did this who you are and where you and your family can be found? I can tell you this, you are braver than I, because it wont be me nor anyone else over there, as they've seen what can happen first hand. Call me a no-snitcher if the shoe fits, but I value the lives of my loved ones.

People would assume that "of course" something heinous like the police setting fires to homes is something that would be front page news. Much worse has happened in this area for decades yet no one blinked an eye, not the people who were entrusted to do something about it nor the institutions people complained to when they did say something. No one gives a shit about dope neighborhoods until there is a career to be made or someone with power wants the land, and the city leaders would just as soon light the fires themselves if it means clearing out a section of town with the potential to create significant revenue or decrease the spending of public funds. I call this "Scorched Earth Policy."

SoftTR: The local block set is the crew who controls the movement of dope on that block. They do not claim a unifier other than that block and aren't big enough to be considered a gang or "organized crime." But they are small enough to stay under the radar until either another set moves on them or someone snitches and they get picked up by the raid van. Someone else in their crew opens another spot, probably on the same block, and it's business as usual. This is one reason why drug neighborhoods burn up so fast, whether its the cops or the guys themselves, or one of their pissed off girlfriends [[I've seen that a few times too).

The financial incentives I referred to are all encompassing, pay-offs by the dopeboys to the police, government money for fighting the war on drugs, and asset forfeiture funds.
    Everything that you just wrote about your neighborhood, the type of people that live there and their activities, and your unwillingness to take ownership for the problems that go on there is appalling.

So what do you want? Have the police come in and try to shut down the dope houses while all of you sit there and refuse to cooperate with the police to lock them up? Then you accuse the same police department of burning houses in a neighborhood that you and everyone else that lives there doesn't seem to care about enough to be part of saving it?

Are you and the rest of your neighbors not responsible for anything that goes on there?

Quote Originally Posted by acer_ventura View Post
    Roger that! I would hope that if an entire neighborhood watches a DPD employee light structures on fire that more evidence would be available- because it really isn't an 'off-the-books' operation after the entire hood sees it...
    This happened in broad daylight, and I'm told that the police had people stretched out for over an hour, which is the only reason there were so many witnesses. Drug raids have always been more common in the summer months, especially during the buildup to the State Fair, but it is uncommon to have half of one side of the block burn down during the process. That's enough to scare the shit out of anyone who might run the mouth.

I'm told that this raid was in response to murder that occurred on that corner the week prior.

This happened in broad daylight, and I'm told that the police had people stretched out for over an hour, which is the only reason there were so many witnesses. Drug raids have always been more common in the summer months, especially during the buildup to the State Fair, but it is uncommon to have half of one side of the block burn down during the process. That's enough to scare the shit out of anyone who might run the mouth.

I'm told that this raid was in response to murder that occurred on that corner the week prior.
    So you're saying DPD has a secret program where officers pour gas and then light it on fire? Why would they do this? And why is it secret?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast