Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit urban explorers find $1 Mil sports cards in 'abandoned' warehouse

This appeared in the UK's Daily Mail. It seems astonishing that something of such value could be left and forgotten, it it truly was.

"A collection of sports cards estimated to be worth more than $1million has been discovered in an abandoned warehouse in Detroit.

Millions of the Topps cards were packed away in dust-covered crates, with thousands more strewn over the floor of the derelict building.

The mint-condition collectibles, dating from the late 1980s and 90s, were discovered by a team of urban explorers whose hobby is to venture into forgotten man-made structures.

While only estimated to be individually worth between 99 cents and $5.99, the collective haul of hundreds of cases would potentially fetch millions if ever put on the market."

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    This appeared in the UK's Daily Mail. It seems astonishing that something of such value could be left and forgotten, it it truly was.
    "A collection of sports cards estimated to be worth more than $1million has been discovered in an abandoned warehouse in Detroit.

Millions of the Topps cards were packed away in dust-covered crates, with thousands more strewn over the floor of the derelict building.

The mint-condition collectibles, dating from the late 1980s and 90s, were discovered by a team of urban explorers whose hobby is to venture into forgotten man-made structures.

While only estimated to be individually worth between 99 cents and $5.99, the collective haul of hundreds of cases would potentially fetch millions if ever put on the market."

That's wonderful, Lowell. Now you're going to have "Teams Of Urban Explorers" not only breaking into abandoned warehouses, but also into some that are not so abandoned.

Now that I look at that picture and the others, I am starting to get the feeling that the cards may have been arranged. The cards seem too evenly spread out and appear evenly new and clean. Also the windows in that 'abandoned' building are remarkably unbroken.

If one of you guys aren't busy Saturday, I seem to be missing my 1985 Barbaro Garbey.

There's still a Honus Wagner card out there somewhere, right?

Cards for sorrow, cards for pain........

whose hobby is to venture into forgotten man-made structures.
    Also known as trespassing...

"While only estimated to be individually worth between 99 cents and $5.99, the collective haul of hundreds of cases would potentially fetch millions if ever put on the market."

I question this statement. These cards really aren't worth anything, excess inventory killed the card market for 80's and 90's Topps cards. I wouldn't pay 50 grand for all those valueless cards. They're only "worth" what someone is willing to pay, although theres a sucker born every day so...