Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Jimmy Cahhtah

Default Jimmy Cahhtah

I just felt like praising your President Carter who was recently diagnosed with cancer. What a great statesman. One of the great low key individuals who have made a difference in our time. I hope we can capture some of the sober but inspirational strength from another leader in the present race. I am saddened by the artifice around Trump and don't want to believe the Donald will end up behind that pulpit in the press room. Jeeziz help us.
    Last edited by canuck; August-20-15 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I just felt like praising your President Carter who was recently diagnosed with cancer. What a great statesman. One of the great low key individuals who have made a difference in our time. I hope we can capture some of the sober but inspirational strength from another leader in the present race. I am saddened by the artifice around Trump and don't want to believe the Donald will end up behind that pulpit in the press room. Jeeziz help us.
    I agree. I could always take or leave Mr. Carter, but a few years ago, the DFT ran a film, a sort of "slice of life" biography, of what he was into and how he lived his life. I became very impressed with the man. He was globally respected, forged alliances with dignitaries around the globe, and opened doors for negotiations not thought possible. As far as Trump, his growing snowball campaign has me bewildered.

Yeah. I was also taken by surprise by Trump's success. Trumped shall we say. From the French, "to deceive"...

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Yeah. I was also taken by surprise by Trump's success. Trumped shall we say. From the French, "to deceive"...
    Being deceived would be one thing, but he's being blatantly stupid and people are saying "Yeah, GOOD idea!"

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Being deceived would be one thing, but he's being blatantly stupid and people are saying "Yeah, GOOD idea!"
    Wait. Could it be contagious?!

I always liked Jimmy Carter. I'm too young to comment on his presidency, but I always felt he was a classy and dignified man. He's definitely from a different era of politicians. I hope he has many more birthdays to come. If not, I hope he's already received his roses. A man like Mr. Carter deserves to know what a positive effect he's had on the citizens of this nation.

I've been pondering whether that cancer diagnosis influenced his recent startling comments on Thom Hartmann's show. [[I don't mean to suggest his comments were a product of a diseased mind but rather that mortality sometimes has a way of freeing people to speak bluntly.)

DetroitYES Home » Non Detroit Issues » Thom Hartmann » President Jimmy Carter: The United States is an Oligarchy

If others had said that, it might have been dismissed as hyperbole but listening to Carter's voice, you can tell that he meant it sincerely.

Here's a former president expressing objection to a nascent problem that almost no one else has the courage to even mention, let alone confront. He didn't seem like he wanted to rock the boat [[former presidents seem to avoid that) but it was a startling comment nonetheless.

Many folks hardly click on links provided or they just give it a glance enough to get "the gist" [[guilty here) and maybe wrinkle their nose. I'm going to sincerely ask folks to click this link http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/...d.html?start=1and read what one wrote about Randall Balmer's [[a theologian and frequent guest on the Daily Show) assessment of Carter. He truly felt that as far as "Christian" politician's go-Carter was the most recent to demonstrate thoroughly a genuine commitment to his professed faith and how it related to his bettering of others.

Even if you are not a Christian, just take some time and read it, because it touches on various cruxes and aspects from Bob Jones, Billy Graham, and Falwell to the perspective of Hunter S. Thompson that can't be ignored.

Oops. My bad.

while that article is indispensable, I forgot to add this one http://www.mcall.com/opinion/yourvie...820-story.html[[as it has the the Thompson mention). I'll make it up to you all with thesehttp://www.livingroomcandidate.org/commercials/1976/bio and this slice of '70s kitschhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h874BPSnbWc

I pulled this link out of Jimaz' post, it's the one where Jimmy talks about our government as an oligarchy, good words.

I pray for Jimmy Carter, but he really needs no help from us to walk on to his reward in the next world. He has lived an exemplary life, one we can all learn from. To read those nasty comments from tiny minded people celebrating his impending death sickens me. He was not strong enough to keep from being swift boated by a swamp rabbit. More ado was made of that than any other president's humorous misfortune, like GWB falling off the Segwe. Then along came Reagan, undermining him as part of his own campaign. I feel so sorry for us all that skullduggery overcame the purest integrity in that election. Had we been awake and pulling hard together, this may well have been a different America today.

Three presidents who can be considered to have "failed presidencies" redeemed themselves by a long post-presidential career of public service and statesmanship.

John Quincy Adams
    Herbert Hoover
    Jimmy Carter

Most presidents just "fade away" after they leave office.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Three presidents who can be considered to have "failed presidencies" redeemed themselves by a long post-presidential career of public service and statesmanship.

John Quincy Adams
    Herbert Hoover
    Jimmy Carter

Most presidents just "fade away" after they leave office.
    What about Dub-Ya? He just visited New Orleans on the 10th anniversary of Katrina.

What about Dub-Ya? He just visited New Orleans on the 10th anniversary of Katrina.
    Excessively humorous.

WhoopDeDoo.

Immediately after Hurricane Betsy, President Johnson visited New Orleans by mid afternoon except, unlike George W., President Johnson actually landed instead of just flying over.

"Dub-Ya" is 10 years too late to claim any credit for his response to Katrina. Remember "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job."?

The 50th anniversary of Hurricane Betsy hitting New Orleans is coming up on September 9th. That article ranks Betsy a notch worse than Katrina.

Our family survived Hurricane Betsy with little damage. While returning from the shelter, I have a grotesque recollection of more experienced adults advising our parents to prevent us kids from looking up out of the windows of the car because "the bloated bodies often end up perched in the trees after the water recedes." [[Makes sense since they'd float until they wouldn't, supported by the tree limbs.)

I doubt George W. Bush has ever had to grapple with such a vision in his life.
    Last edited by Jimaz; August-30-15 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    WhoopDeDoo.

Immediately after Hurricane Betsy, President Johnson visited New Orleans by mid afternoon except, unlike George W., President Johnson actually landed instead of just flying over.

"Dub-Ya" is 10 years too late to claim any credit for his response to Katrina. Remember "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job."?

The 50th anniversary of Hurricane Betsy hitting New Orleans is coming up on September 9th. That article ranks Betsy a notch worse than Katrina.

Our family survived Hurricane Betsy with little damage. While returning from the shelter, I have a grotesque recollection of more experienced adults advising our parents to prevent us kids from looking up out of the windows of the car because "the bloated bodies often end up perched in the trees after the water recedes." [[Makes sense since they'd float until they wouldn't, supported by the tree limbs.)

I doubt George W. Bush has ever had to grapple with such a vision in his life.
    It was sarcasm. NPR's coverage of his "visit" interviewed New Orleans residents who weren't too thrilled about his return. Remember this photo from that time period?