Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Aretha: Night Club Owner

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ent...enue/32047147/

Aretha Franklin wants to open an upscale dining/entertainment venue downtown. Not much to the article yet. It will be interesting to see if this comes to anything.
    Last edited by gencinjay; August-20-15 at 02:31 PM. Reason: I can't spell

Quote Originally Posted by gencinjay View Post
    http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ent...enue/32047147/

Aretha Franklin wants to open an upscale dining/entertainment venue downtown. Not mush to the article yet. It will be interesting to see if this comes to anything.
    She loves Detroit so much she bought a home in Bloomfield Hills.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I don't live in Tuscany. That doesn't mean I don't love Tuscany. Similarly, anyone can love Detroit regardless of their permanent residence.

Maybe this is why she moved....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._L._Franklin

As for a location for a 5 star nightclub.... the National Theatre could be a spot.... remove seats, and grate the floor to terraced seating with dance floor [[like the Fillmore). Only problem [[besides it would need a severe makeover).... is that there is no ancillary space for kitchen or other needed space... or a museum.

The United Artists Theatre would make an even better space. Before it closed its' seating was reduced from 2070 to 1488.... with flattened dance floor, and again terraced seating... it could still have stadium seating in the balcony and fancy seating in the mezzanine. Again the devil is in the details.... very expensive to restore... although the neighboring former bank could make an interesting museum. And it could encourage someone to develop apartments in the 18 upper floors.
    Last edited by Gistok; August-20-15 at 02:39 PM.

^^ That's funny.
    Aretha has had a lot of pie in the sky plans, if you read her biography. I wouldn't put money on it.
    BTW, what happened to that record company she had a few years ago?

This would be something I could get behind. I hope it works out!

DetroitBoy Guest

Don't try to RAGE The Queen of Soul. She and her father are major contributors to the history of Detroit. She should be worshipped and adored as a living legend. Save your RAGE for Miss Ross when she returns to open her theme park where the Brewster projects used to be.
    Last edited by DetroitBoy; August-20-15 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    Save your RAGE for Miss Ross when she returns to open her theme park where the Brewster projects used to be.
    i agree!!! left and never looked back. "i love you detroit"

HoorYAY for the Aretha!!

I think she owns or owned a house in the Detroit Golf Club neighborhood. She also owned commercial property in the city.

Is there still a market for veal and the big band sound? She better open soon before the last of the WW2 generation dies off.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Is there still a market for veal and the big band sound? She better open soon before the last of the WW2 generation dies off.
    Yes!

I love veal,
    Surprising?
    I think so.

Big band:
    I doubt it.

Nowhere near off.

Aretha.

~b

DetroitBoy Guest

The Queen has restaurant experience. The pink house slippers are optional at her new place

http://youtu.be/cGXU7268Z50

I love A reefer.

Also, I bet you anything her vocal coach wasn't Tiny Tim.

Based on her past history,any contractor working on the club better demand payment upfront.

I really doubt she has any idea how much money [[at least a couple of million) would be required to open a full-service restaurant with entertainment space, never mind a museum attached. If she was serious about helping the city, she would call Dan Gilbert and ask if there is any type of retail space that might be a good fit for her to invest in based on his company`s research.

I really doubt she has any idea how much money [[at least a couple of million) would be required to open a full-service restaurant with entertainment space, never mind a museum attached. If she was serious about helping the city, she would call Dan Gilbert and ask if there is any type of retail space that might be a good fit for her to invest in based on his company`s research.
    She would get more help from DIBC then Mr. Gilbert,no way in the world he is going to give up any of his companies research.But he would be happy to invest her money for her at a price.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    She would get more help from DIBC then Mr. Gilbert,no way in the world he is going to give up any of his companies research.But he would be happy to invest her money for her at a price.
    A better play would be for her to find an investor willing to build a restaurant. For a piece of the business, she could attach her name to it. Minimal investment for her, and the restaurant gets a great brand.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I think she owns or owned a house in the Detroit Golf Club neighborhood. She also owned commercial property in the city.
    Back in the late sixties, she owned a home on I believe it was Sorrento off W Outer Drive. My kids went to McDowell Elementary School with her son's Clarence and Edward.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; August-21-15 at 01:46 AM.

DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Back in the late sixties, she owned a home on I believe it was Sorrento off W Outer Drive. My kids went to McDowell Elementary School with her son's Clarence and Edward.
    19346 Sorrento St, Detroit, MI 48235
    http://goo.gl/maps/zg9ZK

There is an article from the late 80s saying she wasn't maintaining the property. Today, the place looks kind of ghetto while the rest of the houses around it are nice and well kept. Not sure she still owns this house or not.

DetroitBoy Guest

The Queen made the news this morning today about a film she made during othe 1970s.

Check out this article from Detroit Free Press:

Aretha Franklin considers legal action to halt film

http://www.freep.com/story/entertain...onto/32078407/

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    The Queen made the news this morning today about a film she made during othe 1970s.

Check out this article from Detroit Free Press:

Aretha Franklin considers legal action to halt film

http://www.freep.com/story/entertain...onto/32078407/
    She loves Detroit, but hires a Bloomfield Hills attorney.

Did she even consider a car wash or liquor store in da hood?

Already have the Roostertail, nuff said......

Aretha bought Patricia Hill Burnett's house on Hamilton Road on the Detroit Golf Club in the 1990's.

I believe she owned that house and another in Bloomfield at the same time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast