Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My thanks to Randy for all of his great work at DetroitFunk over the years. Wonderful stuff that I, and many other people I know, have often enjoyed.

What WDIV did is disgusting, and sadly typical of the lazy and bullying behavior of much of our corporate media in these days of the so-called "sharing" [[ie, stealing someone else's labor) economy. Don't want to spend money to send a guy out with a camera to take a picture of the damn monument? Just Google up a picture of it and steal it! What are they going to do, sue us? Hahahaha...

I'd love to see him back posting his interesting and beautiful photos and telling his own story about our area, but I certainly understand his discouragement.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; August-22-15 at 12:29 PM.

Randy & Staff: This is an out-right theft of intellectual property. A good lawyer of that particular specialty is needed here...even if you need to establish a "GoFundMe" site. Oh, yeah, and lots and lots of publicity. Please don't just take this lying down. You have a spectacular case. All of us creative-types are rooting for you.

When he speaks of the person "chuckling at the invoice" it makes me think of that case in Seattle where the guy sued his neighbor because of the distress of a barking dog and reeled in $500,000 b/c the neighbor didn't show up to court resulting in a default judgement. I say take this to court. The big media companies complain about people stealing their stuff, but are known to take from the little guy.

Also check out this story of a Buffalo lawyer suing CNN and BBC for using his timelapse photo:
    http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...ement-20150818

"This site was ended on 8-18-15 after a photograph was used without permission by WDIV/Local 4/Click on Detroit"

To quote Legally Blonde, without paying them royalties, "If you're going to let one stupid prick ruin your life...you're not the photographer I thought you were."

Ken Haddad, Social Media Producer at WDIV, emailed me to say that Randy was paid for his work. I wonder if this is actually true, given no word from DFunk? And, if so, I wonder if it was done only in response to the little public fuss Randy kicked up, and if they paid the whole $100 they were billed by him?

If it is true - it would be nice to see WDIV sue him back for libel [[defamation) if he doesn't take down that rhetoric on his website.

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    If it is true - it would be nice to see WDIV sue him back for libel [[defamation) if he doesn't take down that rhetoric on his website.
    In what possible way would it be "nice" to see him sued by WDIV? "Giant media corporation steals content from longtime local artist/blogger, pays him belatedly [[reportedly) after repeated billings, then sues him for defamation." Yeah, that's a real feel good story right there.

Anyway, since pretty much all of what he said was provably true I very much doubt they'd have a serious case for libel. [[Of course, having a case with little or no chance of success has not stopped some corporations from using such lawsuits, and the potential cost of fighting them, to intimidate their critics.)

WDIV sent the check out on the 27th, and I received it today. The post has been redacted accordingly. As promised the money was donated to Detroit Dog Rescue in memoriam to Matthew Loflin Davis. Name:  DogRescue.JPG
Views: 524
Size:  53.6 KB

Nicole Curtis contacted me and we straightened out that miscommunication as well. She is a cool lady and very down to earth. I was impressed that she handled things herself and was so nice about it all. It was just a snafu of third party people.

Thanks to everybody for all the support. Was especially happy to find Southen in my corner on what was a purely professional issue that all photographers can relate to.

Cheers !

mauser, does this mean you might reconsider shutting down the dETROITfunk website, too?

I hope you will continue the site. You are a great photographer.

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    mauser, does this mean you might reconsider shutting down the dETROITfunk website, too?
    Yes, please DO reconsider shutting down the website. It is an important resource on many levels. We Detroit ex-pats consider it a lifeline to the old hometown, especially on the architectural and landmark changes in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy2trips View Post
    Yes, please DO reconsider shutting down the website. It is an important resource on many levels. We Detroit ex-pats consider it a lifeline to the old hometown, especially on the architectural and landmark changes in the city.
    I completely agree, please think about restarting your awesome site!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2