Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Wayne State University bans smoking completely in all of its campuses.

This is a dream come true. Wayne State University bans smoking [[ including e-cigarettes) for all its campuses even outside properties. Starting Wednesday, August 19, 2015. If you folks want to smoke your cancer sticks, go away from all WSU campuses. Anyone who smokes there will be ticketed from campus police.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Danny; August-19-15 at 08:20 PM.

I think they should also ban,excessive use of Old Spice aftershave,Right Guard deodorant,excessive use of cheap fake perfumes,because I do not use any of the above and it irritates my senses.

After that maybe we can go after those cars that have the stupid farting sound mufflers.

19% smoke on campuses per studies and pretty much every other campus has already banned smoking,but I would guess one could always hide in the restroom for a quick puff.

Pretty sad that anyone of college age would be stupid enough to puff on those cancer sticks. Makes them look soooooo cool.

I don't know how any college student could afford to smoke anymore. When I was young and stupid a pack was about 85 cents. Isn't it over $6 now? So a pack a day habit would be $180/month! Better to spend it on beer.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    I don't know how any college student could afford to smoke anymore. When I was young and stupid a pack was about 85 cents. Isn't it over $6 now? So a pack a day habit would be $180/month! Better to spend it on beer.
    $1.75 a carton in Virginia when i was in college [[1957-1961) but I didn't smoke.

I'm fine with the ban. I don't smoke and I'm sick of packs of people smoking right along public sidewalks and right outside entrances of buildings. It has negative health effects for the people around them, and they also litter, a lot. Many smokers think it's their God-given right to litter.

How will this affect the potheads???

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    How will this affect the potheads???
    They're all vaping now Ray.

On the bright side, it is now five years since the bars and restaurants smoking ban. Every once in a while when I am in those places I remember back to the the smoke-choked days and coming home with my clothes stinking from it. It now seems like fifty years ago instead of five as of this May.

curious. What are the sanctions for violators?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Death by cancer!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    http://policies.wayne.edu/administra...ree-campus.php

"5.2 Students who violate this policy will be subject to the Student Code of Conduct, as well as warnings and ticketing by WSU Police."

Smoking was banned by law in restaurants and bars in MI. That is obviously enforceable. This smoking ban is per the university's new rule. I am just curious, would a violator actually be legally obligated to pay the fine if ticketed?

Quote Originally Posted by Armin View Post
    "5.2 Students who violate this policy will be subject to the Student Code of Conduct, as well as warnings and ticketing by WSU Police."

Smoking was banned by law in restaurants and bars in MI. That is obviously enforceable. This smoking ban is per the university's new rule. I am just curious, would a violator actually be legally obligated to pay the fine if ticketed?
    I also wonder if this could even apply to a non-student at all. To me it seems the most they would be able to do to a non-student is trespass them.

Nonstudents can smoke all they want?

My thoughts are OP is pretentious as fuck.

What will they think of next? How about [[like guns) the right to carry? Poor smokeronis. Life has become a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I also wonder if this could even apply to a non-student at all. To me it seems the most they would be able to do to a non-student is trespass them.
    Does this call into question the authority of the WSU Police?

I'm not certain, but what can be done if you smoke in City Hall, or some other public building?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    This is a dream come true. Wayne State University bans smoking [[ including e-cigarettes) for all its campuses even outside properties. Starting Wednesday, August 19, 2015. If you folks want to smoke your cancer sticks, go away from all WSU campuses. Anyone who smokes there will be ticketed from campus police.

Any thoughts?
    10 years ago when i was at MSU i lived in a dorm you could smoke in, man times have changed.

Seems overdue, to me. Not often discussed is the fact that the cigarette filters, thrown to the ground by these litterbugs, can take many decades to decompose.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Does this call into question the authority of the WSU Police?

I'm not certain, but what can be done if you smoke in City Hall, or some other public building?
    No, it calls into question the ability of WSU to make laws that people can be arrested for.

Any business can ban smoking, both before and after the ban, with the recourse of not complying being a trespass.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    No, it calls into question the ability of WSU to make laws that people can be arrested for.

Any business can ban smoking, both before and after the ban, with the recourse of not complying being a trespass.
    I'm not sure arresting anyone is the plan. A ticket seems more likely.

Is a trespass effective enough?

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    I'm not sure arresting anyone is the plan. A ticket seems more likely.

Is a trespass effective enough?
    You're correct about ticket vs. arrest.

A trespass would only be effective if the cops have a person that persistently breaks this law rule and they recognize them as someone they've trespassed.

Disclaimer: I'm not a law expert.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    What will they think of next? How about [[like guns) the right to carry? Poor smokeronis. Life has become a bitch.
    You may be thinking of Bob Jones University. I read they prohibit everything from facial hair, National Geographics, visiting the movie theater, drinking alcohol [[no old wine for you), smoking cigarettes, or having a visiting homosexual on the campus. Yet, firearms are allowed, as long as you check them in at each security check.

Got to admit I was surprised by the response to this thread. When I saw the initial number of replies [[so far), I was quite sure it was from a number of pro-smoking types. Quite to the contrary.

Detroit has come a long way since the '90s. We used to have Camel representatives canvasing the whole Cass Corridor/Wayne State area from Alvins, to Zoot's, to the Majestic [[remember when the Gold Dollar had American Spirits in the vending machine?-y'know..,because "there better for you"-then say what?...not smoking at all?!) giving away free packs to every resident and C.C.S. student they could find. I used to firmly believe Detroit was a "F*ck You-I smoke" type of town.

Personally I don't miss the stuff [[my kidneys couldn't handle the crud). Yet, it makes me wonder
    if they will teach this famous poem: http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/171767

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    Got to admit I was surprised by the response to this thread. When I saw the initial number of replies [[so far), I was quite sure it was from a number of pro-smoking types. Quite to the contrary.

Detroit has come a long way since the '90s. We used to have Camel representatives canvasing the whole Cass Corridor/Wayne State area from Alvins, to Zoot's, to the Majestic [[remember when the Gold Dollar had American Spirits in the vending machine?-y'know..,because "there better for you"-then say what?...not smoking at all?!) giving away free packs to every resident and C.C.S. student they could find. I used to firmly believe Detroit was a "F*ck You-I smoke" type of town.

Personally I don't miss the stuff [[my kidneys couldn't handle the crud). Yet, it makes me wonder
    if they will teach this famous poem: http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/171767
    I frankly didn't think the hand to mouth marketing was that aggressive but I am guessing that coupled with the high profile of more billboards pushing cigs in the ghettoes, this made for pretty handsome profits.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast