Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default $14 million New Center Development at Woodward and Baltimore

UPDATE: May 2019 Completion Nears
    Name:  Woodward-Baltimore.jpg
Views: 2822
Size:  93.3 KB

====================
    Original Thread Post:

Cannot believe this went unposted here for 3 days. We are slipping guys.

Name:  AR-150819924.jpg
Views: 2614
Size:  47.7 KB

Peter Allen, president of Ann Arbor-based mixed-use urban developer Peter Allen & Associates, and three investment partners have purchased a building, have another under contract and are trying to buy the remaining buildings on the block between Milwaukee and Baltimore avenues for a redevelopment project that would add new apartments, retail and office space to that area of New Center.
    Allen — also an adjunct faculty member of the University of Michigan’s Stephen M. Ross School of Business and the A. Alfred Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning for more than three decades — said he and three former students have purchased the building at 6408 Woodward Ave. two months ago and have the corner building at 6402 Woodward Ave. under contract with the city, with plans to close on the deal by early October.
    The developers would add a third floor to the building at 6402 Woodward for a configuration with first-floor retail and 12 second- and third-floor apartments. At 6408 Woodward, the group would have first-floor retail, second-floor office space and three floors for 36-44 apartments. All told, the project would bring 48-56 new units to the market.
    Construction is expected to begin on the $14 million project in the fall, with completion by the time the M-1 Rail project is completed in 2017, Allen said.
    http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...oodward-in-new

Looks like M-1 might be paying dividends already.

Certainly a number of folks on this site, as well as Midtown, Inc., have been saying that the New Center is "the next big thing." Maybe its happening sooner rather than later.

I would not want to see the hardware store or the gay bar displaced.

Just waiting for the naysayers who say New Center isn't ready for new retail

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Certainly a number of folks on this site, as well as Midtown, Inc., have been saying that the New Center is "the next big thing." Maybe its happening sooner rather than later.

I too would hate to see existing businesses displaced, especially the Hardware store.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Looks like M-1 might be paying dividends already.
    Don't say that to B'ham1982. Lol.

It has been my experience in big cities that development follows mass transit stations.

They generally seem to be magnets for the development, be it commercial or housing.

DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by detroiteronthewestcoast View Post
    certainly a number of folks on this site, as well as midtown, inc., have been saying that the new center is "the next big thing." maybe its happening sooner rather than later.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2199
Size:  44.8 KB

"tonight's the night!"

emu steve.....

That's the way it has worked in Portland, and it appears that Seattle is going to follow that trend.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2199
Size:  44.8 KB

"tonight's the night!"
    thanks for posting this, DETROITBOY...Andy was a legend as was the Woodward under his management. Of interest, the bar was originally owned by the family that owned Mr. Mikes. They sold it to the brothers when Mr. Mikes relocated to Woodward and Piquette. The Woodward had, for years the dual personality of lunch spot serving great burgers and fries to the New Center crowd from the GM and Fisher Bldg. along with Campbell Ewald and many other long gone business and then gradually morphing into a gay bar in the late afternoon. There was certainly some crossover business to be sure---but the Woodward never tolerated phobic comments or remarks by either side. I always felt they ran a very honest bar, poured drinks at a fair price---as far as I knew never "substituted" liquor on a call brand pour and put out of hell of a burger and great steak cut fries. Along with the NORMANDIE BAR at 2nd and W. Grand Blvd, one of the great spots in New Center.
    Last edited by detroitbob; August-17-15 at 10:18 PM.

DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    thanks for posting this, DETROITBOY...Andy was a legend as was the Woodward under his management. Of interest, the bar was originally owned by the family that owned Mr. Mikes. They sold it to the brothers when Mr. Mikes relocated to Woodward and Piquette. The Woodward had, for years the dual personality of lunch spot serving great burgers and fries to the New Center crowd from the GM and Fisher Bldg. along with Campbell Ewald and many other long gone business and then gradually morphing into a gay bar in the late afternoon. There was certainly some crossover business to be sure---but the Woodward never tolerated phobic comments or remarks by either side. I always felt they ran a very honest bar, poured drinks at a fair price---as far as I knew never "substituted" liquor on a call brand pour and put out of hell of a burger and great steak cut fries. Along with the NORMANDIE BAR at 2nd and W. Grand Blvd, one of the great spots in New Center.
    If only the walls in that place could talk, there would be stories no one would believe. Maybe those rich folks living in their nice new condos will look out the patio door and see Andy's ghost paying them a visit!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    If only the walls in that place could talk, there would be stories no one would believe. Maybe those rich folks living in their nice new condos will look out the patio door and see Andy's ghost paying them a visit!
    True indeed!...as someone cried out one night at last call after some sort of laison échoué, "this is the stuff of soap operas"!

As they also owned the Milwood Apartments, right across the parking lot, many a customer of any persuasion would become tenants in fact the Millwood earned the nickname "Heartbreak Hotel" LOL.
    Last edited by detroitbob; August-17-15 at 11:16 PM.

Look how the Woodward M1 Rail brought all of Gilberttown, midtown and New Center Area. wonderful regional development. 30 years ago Woodward Ave from the 3.3 mile stretch went from DEAD [[C)KRAK HEAD and prostitution alley to regional renaissance. I'm proud of Mayor Mike Duggan, Peter Karmanos, Mike Illitch and even Dan Gilbert for putting Detroit back on the world map. New buildings are going to pop up like mushrooms and a range of diverse people will be living, working and enjoy their fine scenery. Detroit is where the action is.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Look how the Woodward M1 Rail brought all of Gilberttown, midtown and New Center Area. wonderful regional development. 30 years ago Woodward Ave from the 3.3 mile stretch went from DEAD [[C)KRAK HEAD and prostitution alley to regional renaissance. I'm proud of Mayor Mike Duggan, Peter Karmanos, Mike Illitch and even Dan Gilbert for putting Detroit back on the world map. New buildings are going to pop up like mushrooms and a range of diverse people will be living, working and enjoy their fine scenery. Detroit is where the action is.
    Lol.

I'm not sure what your issue is with it.

It's not like the money for M-1 is coming from the general fund coffers of Detroit. It is a 'gift' to Detroit from those [[you name) with money.

Do you begrudge that these areas are coming back to life? Do you think the [[other) neighborhoods would magically spring back if downtown, Midtown, etc. die on the vine?

This isn't an either / or proposition. The whole city wins when ANY neighborhood or commercial area come back.

How about students at Wayne State? Patients at the various medical centers, including the VAMC?

Don't those institutions serve Detroiters of every race, income level, veterans, etc?

I live not far from all of this and while Woodward being torn up is a pain, the whole area is better from the development, and growth overall.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-18-15 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Lol.

It's not like the money for M-1 is coming from the general fund coffers of Detroit. It is a 'gift' to Detroit from those [[you name) with money.

Do you begrudge that these areas are coming back to life? Do you think the [[other) neighborhoods would magically spring back if downtown, Midtown, etc. die on the vine?
    This isn't an either / or proposition. The whole city wins when ANY neighborhood or commercial area come back.
    How about students at Wayne State? Patients at the various medical centers, including the VAMC?
    Don't those institutions serve Detroiters of every race, income level, veterans, etc?
    Agree EMUSteve...

I am continually amazed by disparaging remarks about the redevelopment of Downtown/Midtown/New Center and those who have led the way on these fronts. While major projects are important, smaller elements continue to surprise. For example, in the last two weeks façade restoration on the Mabley Dept. Store/Metropole Hotel block buildings 620-630 Woodward Ave. has started including the restoration of a major center entrance. The pediments and cornices have been removed for years...at least 40 years by old photos. Now is this important in the overall scheme of things...yes...it shows a sensitivity and attention to detail being paid to the historic elements of these buildings that date to the 1870's-1880's. While the city lost the Monroe block facades years back, these buildings are the last reminders of the early commercial development of lower Woodward area when, as now, Campus Martius was the center of downtown. Hopefully the other two similar era buildings to the south in the same block will get similar tlc. Look at the attention to detail on the Richman Bros store building now nearing completion and the stunning job done on the Wright Kay building. I expect similar work on the SS Kresge buildings at Woodward/State and can't wait to see the Rayl's Hardware/Meyer store building at Grand River work start.

This block at Woodward/Baltimore is equally as important to the New Center Woodward Ave. district as the Merchants Row is to downtown proper.

While major projects are important, smaller elements continue to surprise. For example, in the last two weeks façade restoration on the Mabley Dept. Store/Metropole Hotel block buildings 620-630 Woodward Ave. has started including the restoration of a major center entrance. The pediments and cornices have been removed for years...at least 40 years by old photos. Now is this important in the overall scheme of things...yes...it shows a sensitivity and attention to detail being paid to the historic elements of these buildings that date to the 1870's-1880's. Look at the attention to detail on the Richman Bros store building now nearing completion and the stunning job done on the Wright Kay building. I expect similar work on the SS Kresge buildings at Woodward/State and can't wait to see the Rayl's Hardware/Meyer store building at Grand River work start.

Well thankfully this is due in part to federal and state historic tax credits for adaptive reuse that are required as all of the CBD is designated on the National Register of Historic Places. I'm glad these facades are being restored, but Bedrock is not doing so out of the goodness of their hearts and taxpayer funds are partially financing these.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    Well thankfully this is due in part to federal and state historic tax credits for adaptive reuse that are required as all of the CBD is designated on the National Register of Historic Places. I'm glad these facades are being restored, but Bedrock is not doing so out of the goodness of their hearts and taxpayer funds are partially financing these.
    Understood but what impresses me is the attention to detail. There was no mandate to restore---the facades on all of the in progress buildings could have been left as it. Bedrock and others certainly will take advantage of available tax credits for historic restoration as they should. But its not a mandate that they must restore.

Lol.

I think you don't understand how to read Danny's posts.

I think you don't understand how to read Danny's posts.
    I try, but it apparently is above my pay grade.

I understand that he has a sardonic writing style, but it hard to otherwise follow how to constructively reply to him.

Maybe I should have found an emoticon for a shoulder shrug, or a sigh or just gone "SMH".

Understood but what impresses me is the attention to detail. There was no mandate to restore---the facades on all of the in progress buildings could have been left as it. Bedrock and others certainly will take advantage of available tax credits for historic restoration as they should. But its not a mandate that they must restore.
    i believe that if you're going modify the exterior in any way [[which most buildings end up needing due to their deteriorated nature), it must be restored to it's original detailing, per its historic status.

Another development activity in the area:

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...rnoon-20150825

Another development activity in the area:

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...rnoon-20150825
    I was wondering what the current status of that building was; this Detroit News article mentions that it has been vacant since 2012 after a fire. Nice to see another vacant building will be rehabbed.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...ents/32349755/

I was wondering what the current status of that building was; this Detroit News article mentions that it has been vacant since 2012 after a fire. Nice to see another vacant building will be rehabbed.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...ents/32349755/
    "The 66-year-old Casamira Apartments building at 680 Delaware is in a historic district of Detroit’s resurging New Center neighborhood and has been vacant for three years after a fire damaged part of the fourth floor, Johanon said.
    The building sits in a neighborhood where demand is rising for additional apartment rental space as construction of the nearby Woodward light rail project nears completion, she said."

Another statement about the effects of M-1 rail.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    If Danny is in, I'm in.

25. Default

May 2019, Restoration and renovation of the corner of Woodward and Baltimore nears completion. The decades-long abandoned properties have been transformed into residential lofts. Around the corner from the White Castle sign, a larger residential development is midway through completion. Rail lines of the recently launched light rail Q-line, linking this New Center location to Downtown Detroit, appear in the foreground.
    Name:  Woodward-Baltimore.jpg
Views: 2822
Size:  93.3 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast