Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default William A. Fisher Mansion 1791 Wellesley Drive

Below is a link to the William A. Fisher mansion that stood at 1791 Wellesley Drive in Palmer Woods. It burned in 1994.

http://halfpuddinghalfsauce.blogspot...am-fisher.html

Much of the ownership information after Fisher is wrong on that blog.

Much? Wrong? The only ownership info given after Fisher was from 1971 to 1989 for Louis H. "King" Narcisse. That is documented in the Detroit Free Press from 1994.

Late 1960 to 1975, Dr Bauer, not sure of spelling. He lived there and took good care of the house

1978 to 1979, Charles Helin, Bought this home after his home burned in Grosse Pointe.

1980 to 1983, bought and partiality restored by Sam Gorman.

1985 to 1990? bought by the KING.

More to come.

I lived around the block from this house and meet Mr. Helin and Sam Gorman.

Don't believe every thing you read in the papers!!!!

Odd that two separate newspaper have car dealer Charles Harrell crying at the curb in 1994 as his newly purchased home was burning??? The Press also lists "career house stripper" Willie Orier as being an owner after Narcisse. DuMouchelle's prepared a catalog offering the architectural elements for sale. Were you ever in the house. Please add what you can.

Default Charles Harrell

Quote Originally Posted by RoseTerrace View Post
    Odd that two separate newspaper have car dealer Charles Harrell crying at the curb in 1994 as his newly purchased home was burning??? The Press also lists "career house stripper" Willie Orier as being an owner after Narcisse. DuMouchelle's prepared a catalog offering the architectural elements for sale. Were you ever in the house. Please add what you can.
    I worked with Charles Harrell's wife, Peggy, and I remember when they bought the home and when it burned down. A kerosene space heater was left on overnight by workmen.

Name:  fisherfire.jpg
Views: 2048
Size:  20.3 KBName:  Frank B. Melin home 505 E. Boston.jpg
Views: 1840
Size:  52.0 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Maidie2 View Post
    I worked with Charles Harrell's wife, Peggy, and I remember when they bought the home and when it burned down. A kerosene space heater was left on overnight by workmen.

The Fisher home fire and the Frank Melin house which burned in April 2018. The fire was in the attic as well. The items Dumouchelles had for auction were in Dumouchelles possession in storage before Harrell bought the house though he legally owned them upon purchasing the house. After the fire Dumouchelles bought everything outright for around 150-$250k I believe. I'll post the free press article about it.

The Charles Helin house in GP burnt in 1974-1975. He, Charles Helin, bought the Fisher Wellesley in 1978. Neither the Fisher home on Wellesley nor the Helin home in GPS burned in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by pkbroch View Post
    The Charles Helin house in GP burnt in 1974-1975. He, Charles Helin, bought the Fisher Wellesley in 1978. Neither the Fisher home on Wellesley nor the Helin home in GPS burned in 2018.
    I don't know where you you get your ideas but the Helin mansion was destroyed in a deadly fire on March 18, 1978. I lived just down Windmill Pointe at the time and remember it vividly. A G.P.C. fireman lost his life in the inferno. Mr. Helin subsequently purchased the William Fisher home in Palmer Woods and remained there until his death in 1979. Helin never owned a house in G.P.S.

The William Fisher home was destroyed by a fire while under the ownership of Charles Harrell in 1994. The Frank Melin home in Arden Park-East Edison did indeed burn in April of this year.

Coincidentally Both the Frank Melin home and Helin's Windmill Pointe house were designed by the noted architect Louis Kamper.

http://digitize.gp.lib.mi.us/digitiz...1978-03-23.pdf
    Last edited by SyGolden48236; September-17-18 at 05:56 AM.

I remember when Fisher's home burned in 94. When I get back in town I plan on posting the articles about the auction and some other good stories about the house from the Free Press.

The Helin mansion in GP was indeed destroyed by fire, I was unsure of exact year but knew it to be in the late seventies. I meet Mr. Helin on one of the days he was moving in to 1791 Wellesley, I was a PW board member on the welcoming committee. He gave me a tour he was such a nice man, one of the things that he showed me was the huge fireproof walk in safe in the house. Unfortunately he never got to enjoy his house. After his death the estate was in probate for quite a while, he had a caretaker who lived in and watched over the house. Sadly after the caretaker passed away and Sam Gorman purchased the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hojnacki View Post
    Interesting article SyGolden. This looks like the house that one of the Book brother's built around 1926? in that area. If it is, this is the same house the wife paid an artist 10k to paint a mural in one of the rooms. Book was so furious he had the mural boarded over. They later downsized and the new owner found the mural. Possibly Herbert Book? I didn't read all of the article at this point maybe something was mentioned. I have a 1928 image of the house I am referring to.
    Correct, this home was indeed built by Herbert V. Book. He lost the home to taxes in the 1940s. Helin bought it from the State of Michigan in a tax auction.

Do you Know what was the square footage was? Looks at least 20,000. I could be wrong.

Name:  helinhouse78.JPG
Views: 1731
Size:  60.0 KBName:  helin1978.JPG
Views: 1466
Size:  45.0 KB Charles Helin 1978

Name:  herbertBook.jpg
Views: 1598
Size:  59.8 KB When Book owned it.

I remember that carriage house of the Book/Helin estate. What ever happened to it?