Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Ford Motor Michigan Proving Grounds - Edward Fisher Estate/Mansion -Romeo

Recently, I had the pleasure of visiting the Ford Michigan Proving Grounds in Romeo and was quite impressed by the setup and history. I had no idea that the highest point in SE Michigan was on the property [[Mt Trombley). I was also quite surprised to learn that Edward Fisher [[of Fisher Body fame) owned the property before. I was told that he built a massive "Gothic" structure, but his wife didn't care for the isolated country lifestyle, so he eventually had the structure taken down. It's been said that the home has 269 rooms, which is an obvious exaggeration. Ford bought the property from the Fisher family in the early 50s. I've been told that the foundation for the mansion still remains. Anyone know more about the history of the Proving Grounds?

I'd be interested in learning more too. Lived in Romeo for many years, also had property just across Dequindre on the west side of the proving grounds.

???????????????????

Name:  Fisher+Mansion.jpg
Views: 6098
Size:  83.1 KB

^^^Wow, that's it? It's reminiscent of Meadowbrook Hall in some aspects. Wonder if Marr designed that one?

I grew up in Romeo a mile from the Ford Proving Grounds. It was always a bit of a mystery. A few years ago they hosted a 5-mile foot race on their high-speed test track. I was one of the few who registered and raced it. It was great, so many years after moving away from the area, to enter the property and run the 5 miles of test track.

From an old proving grounds brochure

Name:  fisher [[2).png
Views: 4781
Size:  72.6 KBName:  fiher2.png
Views: 4695
Size:  105.3 KB