Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default $16M Seniors Housing Development [[Ground Broken)

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...rees/31669059/

Good story about meeting a need in the community.

I like that it is a mixture of apartments and independent living "cottages."

I see it was a joint effort between the state [[Wayne Co contributed $1M) and Hartford Baptist Church.

Wondering if there is a conflict in that collaboration. Will this development be required to pay taxes, since they are affiliated with the church? How will occupancy be determined? Will these units be giving priority to church members? If so, is this fair to taxpayers who attend a different church or none at all?

My question is primarily being stoked by the fact that so much of the redevelopment in the city has been either in Renaisance zones [[residential) or been recipients of tax abatements [[business).
    Either way the city is still being starved of the tax revenue it so needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    I see it was a joint effort between the state [[Wayne Co contributed $1M) and Hartford Baptist Church.

Wondering if there is a conflict in that collaboration. Will this development be required to pay taxes, since they are affiliated with the church? How will occupancy be determined? Will these units be giving priority to church members? If so, is this fair to taxpayers who attend a different church or none at all?
    Its affiliated with the Presbyterian Villages of Michigan, and is "open to members of all faiths." This seems to be the 8th PVM development in the city, so I suppose people are familiar with some of the other locations.

http://www.pvm.org/locations/hartford-village/

http://www.pvm.org/

PVM's Joy Road site is delinquent on it's taxes [[>$.5 million), according to Why Don't We Own This. That probably means they owe taxes [[unless there are taxes hanging around from a previous owner).

I can't tell if this is going to be built on the grounds of the former Lewis College of Business or in the vacant space just north of it.

Either way, I'm hopeful this development will be a good thing for the neighborhood and city as a whole.
    Last edited by 248lurker; August-15-15 at 10:35 AM.