Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default The wild, wild east...

I live in Grosse Pointe Park, 3 blocks south of Mack Avenue. Given the cool nights, I have been sleeping with the A/C off and the windows open.

From about midnight to 3:00 a.m. it is wild out there - I am hearing multiple gunshots every, single night. So far, it's been pistols, no automatic weapons. What the heck is going on? Has the Alter to Cadieux, Mack to Warren area gotten that bad?

I hope not, but your post indicates maybe yes. A friend just purchased a home there. Eagerly awaiting posts from others who live there.

You're three blocks from one of the toughest neighborhoods in one of the most violent cities in the country. It would be shocking if you didn't hear gunfire on summer nights.

I heard that kind of stuff back in the mid-80's when I lived in Hamtown.But I wouldn't expect it so close to Grosse Pointe Park.

I lived there in the early 2000's and heard gun fire every night when it was nice enough to have the windows open but maybe not as frequently as you describe.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    I live in Grosse Pointe Park, 3 blocks south of Mack Avenue. Given the cool nights, I have been sleeping with the A/C off and the windows open.

From about midnight to 3:00 a.m. it is wild out there - I am hearing multiple gunshots every, single night. So far, it's been pistols, no automatic weapons. What the heck is going on? Has the Alter to Cadieux, Mack to Warren area gotten that bad?
    I have friends that lived in GPP for years, near Mack, and they pretty much used to reaffirm your observations. That, and the over-the-border crime.

Probably fireworks. I'm closer than that, and that's all I hear.

The daily sound of gun fire has been getting bad out here on the far Westside as well. Early last September I was hearing a dozen or more shots every morning, and it would normally pick up again just before dark. Most shots sounded like shotguns, but a few small caliber rifles).

Honestly, I'm a bit surprised there are still rabbits this Spring in Milford Township after all that gun fire.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; August-13-15 at 08:47 PM.

Mack, Alter Rd at the demarcated borders of Detroit and Richville borders has always in trouble for over 30 years. The Detroit ghetto hoods along the Morningside community is a black and blighted instant ghetto while Richville remain white and clean. They knows what's going on at the other side of Detroit and the plague of violent crime that is reaching to their valuable piece of high real estate property. They have their police ready for black males wearing hoodies profiling their whereabouts. Today there is nothing those white middle class folks in Richville can do to hide themselves from looking at the Detroit ghetto across the street. They have to be ready who's coming or going from Mack Ave and Alter Rd.
    Last edited by Danny; August-14-15 at 01:10 PM.

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day. You learn to live like an animal in the jungle where they play.

Move further inland, further south and east, away from Mack. Arm yourself. Protect your family. The ghetto isn't getting any better.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Mack, Alter Rd at the demarcated borders of Detroit and Richville borders has always in trouble. you over 30 years. The Detroit ghetto hoods along the Morningside community is a black and blighted instant ghetto while Richville remain white and clean. They knows what's going on at the other side of Detroit and the plague of violent crime that is reaching to their valuable piece of high real estate property. They have their police ready for black males wearing hoodies and profile their whereabouts. Today there is nothing those white middle class folks in Richville can do to hide themselves from looking at the Detroit ghetto across the street. They have to be ready who's coming or going from Mack Ave and Alter Rd.
    It is so very sad that the Grosse Pointes and the wealth inequality has destroyed Detroit. But for the GPs and their kind, Hudsons would still be open and flowers would be blooming in the Wild, Wild East.

Mack, Alter Rd at the demarcated borders of Detroit and Richville borders has always in trouble. you over 30 years. The Detroit ghetto hoods along the Morningside community is a black and blighted instant ghetto while Richville remain white and clean. They knows what's going on at the other side of Detroit and the plague of violent crime that is reaching to their valuable piece of high real estate property. They have their police ready for black males wearing hoodies and profile their whereabouts. Today there is nothing those white middle class folks in Richville can do to hide themselves from looking at the Detroit ghetto across the street. They have to be ready who's coming or going from Mack Ave and Alter Rd.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^ wtf

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    It is so very sad that the Grosse Pointes and the wealth inequality has destroyed Detroit. But for the GPs and their kind, Hudsons would still be open and flowers would be blooming in the Wild, Wild East.
    Ah, the Lib slant strikes again. Pass the buck, blame others and not yourselves.
    Do I miss Harry Truman. He said it best.

Quote Originally Posted by the rock View Post
    Ah, the Lib slant strikes again. Pass the buck, blame others and not yourselves.
    Do I miss Harry Truman. He said it best.
    Pretty sure that previous post was sarcastic.

It is so very sad that the Grosse Pointes and the wealth inequality has destroyed Detroit.
    So let me get this straight, 2 people are born, some great overseer power somewhere says "You get a 6 figure job with stock options, and you get a pack of Kools"?

The Great Wall of Grosse Pointe is coming. Watch for it…

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post

It doesn't stop at 3, but can get pretty intense some nights.

Many times, it is tough to tell whether we're hearing fireworks or gunfire...we're a block and a half from Mack. One night it was too close, and when I went to look noticed the commotion was south of us. Some kids shooting off noisemakers.

Over five years, I've grown callous a bit. The gunfire doesn't raise my defenses like it did at first. Lived in Eastern Market for three years, and never heard a single shot, let alone return fire. Same with 9 months at the BoHouse just west of the Jefferies off Michigan Avenue...even though there was active drug selling down the block, from reportedly three 'competing' drug houses. That was back in 2009.

Here, it is so common we hardly comment on it.

I'm more fascinated by the obvious racing happening...must be within a mile or so. And occasionally, it sounds like a motorcyclist is TRYING to incite a chase...at four-thirty in the morning...

Yep, got that! Redistribute the wealth is the grand plan [[exempting of course the emperors implementing such) and all will be well.... all right............. ONLY THING IS YOU RUN OUT OF OTHER PEOPLE MONEY TO DISTRIBUTE! Eventually.

Last edited by Zacha341; August-15-15 at 09:40 AM.

Make that a pack of Newports!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    So let me get this straight, 2 people are born, some great overseer power somewhere says "You get a 6 figure job with stock options, and you get a pack of Kools"?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Make that a pack of Newports!
    Sorry Lady, but you're out of luck, all the Newports were given out to the people South of Mack.......

The very very rare gunfire we hear over this way is mostly just on holidays. It stands as a somewhat unpleasant reminder of the bad old days, and little else. Also, the more-than-occasional fireworks, which seem to come throughout the summer now, and can actually be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^ wtf
    You know what I'm writing about. You see the demarcation between Five Richvilles and Detroit. And this is not just beyond 8 Mile Rd.

You know what I'm writing about. You see the demarcation between Five Richvilles and Detroit. And this is not just beyond 8 Mile Rd.
    What are you implying here, Danny? That anyone with the cash can't buy a house in the Pointes? Maybe you ought to ride your bike around there and have a look @ the mix in that area. You sound a little jealous.

So what? You're stating the obvious. Post makes no sense

Yes, Grosse Pointe and the adjacent neighborhood in Detroit are very different. And there is a moat next to a good part of the border between the two -- even while it was Detroit, not Grosse Pointe Park, that built it. Grosse Pointe Park has made other contributions to the obstacles that separate the two. It's a difficult, complex issue. But inflammatory comments don't help anything.

Racism, or shall we say "fear of the other", was one of the main reasons I left Detroit. And its persistence is one of the main things that holds me back.

It's good to be critical. We should learn from our mistakes, and the mistakes of our predecessors. But it's even more important to be constructive, and to work forward, cognizant of our inherited history. We have no choice but to build upon our past. Let's aim to improve.
    Last edited by bust; August-14-15 at 04:24 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast