Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Asians in Midtown

We hit La Feria in Midtown [[Cass & Willis) this weekend. Food was decent and I like the small plates concept but the food needed a bit more flavor.

Anyhow, we got an ice cream at the corner and between the restaurant and sitting outside for ice cream we noticed an abundance of middle aged [[30-40 year old) Asians. After the third or fourth family we were struck by the uniqueness of the situation and could not figure out why the high numbers of Asians were in this area. Perhaps they are medical students at WSU or just doctors from Henry Ford.

Anyhow, I am more curious than anything. Anyone have any theories, or perhaps it was a one-time glitch in the matrix.

Thanks!

Why would their reason for being in that area differ from yours or someone from any other race?

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Why would their reason for being in that area differ from yours or someone from any other race?
    If you are in downtown San Francisco, you expect to see a lot of Asians walk by on the street. If you are in downtown Minot, ND, you don't expect to see a bunch of Asians go by.

The entering Wayne State Medical School class was tilted heavily to east Asians, south Asians, and middle easterners.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    If you are in downtown San Francisco, you expect to see a lot of Asians walk by on the street. If you are in downtown Minot, ND, you don't expect to see a bunch of Asians go by.

The entering Wayne State Medical School class was tilted heavily to east Asians, south Asians, and middle easterners.
    Again, why would their reason for being in that area differ from most others who are in that area?

There are so few Asians in our region in general that seeing a lot in one place is noteworthy.

According to the NY Times census map, WSU's census tract is 40% asian which is the highest in Michigan other than two tracts in Ann Arbor and one in Hamtramck [[57%). The tract that the restaurant is in is 31%, also one of the higher ones.

Other than that Troy has probably the most in absolute terms, and has quite a few tracts with substantial percentages. There are also a few odd tracts here and there with more than usual but for the most part tracts are under about 5%, many are at 0%.

The map is from 2005-2009, so it's out of date. idk if there'd be more or less Asians. This also clumps all Asians together, whether they're Japanese or Vietnamese.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    There are so few Asians in our region in general that seeing a lot in one place is noteworthy.
    I'm not trying to be an asshole with what I'm going to say... So I hope it does not read that way. Just food for thought:

Is it really that noteworthy, though? There are a ton of Asians in Ann Arbor and it's really no mystery why there are there. They are there for the same reason that most people of any race are in Ann Arbor.

Likewise, Asians outside of La Feria in Detroit are probably in the area for the same reasons that people of other races would be in the vicinity of La Feria. I see many white people in and around La Feria when I'm in that area too, even though Detroit itself has a black super-majority. I don't think that necessitates asking why so many white people in Detroit, does it? Nor does it necessitate me to publicly hypothesize on common stereotypes about white people and why a white person would be in the center of Detroit, does it?

It's not only WSU and its med school, the Detroit Medical Center is also nearby [[and closer than Henry Ford Hospital). Also, I'm sure a few Asian families might occasionally visit the DIA or other Cultural Center attractions [[or even eat in an area restaurant, like, say, La Feria, every now and again).

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    This also clumps all Asians together, whether they're Japanese or Vietnamese.
    And South Asians as well [[Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, etc.). Hence the high concentration shown in Hamtramck.

DetroitBoy Guest

I'm not trying to be an asshole with what I'm going to say... So I hope it does not read that way. Just food for thought:

Is it really that noteworthy, though? There are a ton of Asians in Ann Arbor and it's really no mystery why there are there. They are there for the same reason that most people of any race are in Ann Arbor.

Likewise, Asians outside of La Feria in Detroit are probably in the area for the same reasons that people of other races would be in the vicinity of La Feria. I see many white people in and around La Feria when I'm in that area too, even though Detroit itself has a black super-majority. I don't think that necessitates asking why so many white people in Detroit, does it? Nor does it necessitate me to publicly hypothesize on common stereotypes about white people and why a white person would be in the center of Detroit, does it?

It's only noteworthy if it comes from someone who grew up in Metro Detroit, where the culture is so focused on whites versus blacks, to illustrate how ignorant people are from here for asking a question like this in the first place.

My wife is Asian. If we are out dining in Alpena and all of a sudden we see twenty other Asians walk by that would fall into the category of "unusual occurrence" and we would remark on it.
    |

Most middle age Asians [[both South Asians and East Asians) hardly ever venture into Detroit and quite frankly, many don't have any familial connections to the city like many whites and blacks in Metro Detroit [[or even Arabs for that matter). There hasn't exactly been whole neighborhoods of Asian immigrants within Detroit like in other cities so it is quite unusual [[or rather not something common to this area) to see them congregate together around Detroit, and even Southeast or all of Michigan. Outside of the major colleges and some foreign automakers, Michigan has just been never been a huge draw for Asian immigrants.

It's only really been in the last several years that it seems like there's been an uptick in the Asian population here.
    Last edited by animatedmartian; August-10-15 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    Most middle age Asians [[both South Asians and East Asians) hardly ever venture into Detroit and quite frankly, many don't have any familial connections to the city like many whites and blacks in Metro Detroit [[or even Arabs for that matter). There hasn't exactly been whole neighborhoods of Asian immigrants within Detroit like in other cities so it is quite unusual [[or rather not something common to this area) to see them congregate together around Detroit, and even Southeast or all of Michigan. Outside of the major colleges and some foreign automakers, Michigan has just been never been a huge draw for Asian immigrants.

It's only really been in the last several years that it seems like there's been an uptick in the Asian population here.
    Try John R between 11 and 14 mile

There was a sizable concentration of Chinese people in the Cass Corridor. But of course they were all chased out by the 1980s [[like what happened with Detroit's burgeoing gay community in the Palmer Park area) by crime.

Even NE Detroit had quite a few Korean residents through the 1990s, before the residency requirement was lifted and before the real estate bubble.

EDIT: I must add, since they've been global companies for now a couple decades, Ford and GM have quite a few Asians working for them locally [[it's not just the foreign automakers), not to mention quite a few Asian transplants working here on business.
    Last edited by 313WX; August-10-15 at 08:12 PM.

This is a very strange thread title but my guess is some new to town nerds are about to name their band after it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Try John R between 11 and 14 mile
    That just further proves my point on how out of the ordinary Asian immigrants are for this area compared to other cities. If you look at where most Asian Immigrants have neighborhoods, they're usually near downtown areas and/or are usually pretty dense [[Detroit's Asian neighborhood doesn't exist anymore at this point). Driving up John R, you only see maybe a dozen asian businesses but hardly any number of Vietnamese or Chinese people out walking around which doesn't give the impression that it's something akin to a Chinatown.

It's just a fact that Metro Detroit historically has not been an area populated with many Asians much like other Midwestern cities.

It's just a fact that Metro Detroit historically has not been an area populated with many Asians much like other Midwestern cities.
    The only other "major" Midwestern city with more Asians than Detroit is Chicago...

No, Detroit had a very small Chinatown. Most of the Asian expansion in the Detroit metro has occurred in the last 35 years. As I remember back in the 50s, Carrie Lee's in Birmingham was one of the few Chinese restaurants in Oakland County. Now it is not at all unusual to encounter Asians in Oakland and Macomb Counties. My Asian stepson lives in Macomb Twp and there are several other Asian families in his subdivision. Pix from 2014 at my grandson's HS graduation in Macomb County.

Name:  Y00A2869.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  108.7 KBName:  Y00A2779a.jpg
Views: 999
Size:  74.8 KB

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joelkotk...ch-chinatowns/ apparently the death of suburbs has been greatly exaggerated...

@deeman...since you were so curious as to why there were so many "Asians" in that particular area of the city, why didn't you go up to them, introduce yourself, and ask them. BTW...Middle aged is 30-40....

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    The only other "major" Midwestern city with more Asians than Detroit is Chicago...
    I guess people I getting caught up on my wording, but what I meant was Midwest = low/scattered population of Asians. I thought the differences were obvious to people who have been to the West Coast or NYC.

urban Detroit can stand to be more diverse in general, with individuals and families deciding to stay in the city, building new small businesses, cultivating new houses of worship, eventually have people run for the state legislature, city council, etc.

After attending the Detroit Mass Mob at St. Josephat's last Sunday, Mrs. Gnome and I sat at that same ice cream store on Cass and Willis.

We did not see a passel of Asians; however, we did see a gaggle of gays, a herd homeless, a murder of single mothers and a coven of witches.

each group merited its own comments on their sartorial selections, general affect and catty observation; but that's what we do when people watching. We make up strange tales involving people we see, usually wrapped around a spy ring or sexual liaison, for nothing but amusement.

If if we would have seen a passel of Asians, we would have worked them into the general tale of the supposed homeless guy who was really a lookout for the meth dealing single mom and dog walker who used the dog poo bags for product delivery while the gay couples were planning a neighborhood takeover by dropping secrets.....

I guess people I getting caught up on my wording, but what I meant was Midwest = low/scattered population of Asians. I thought the differences were obvious to people who have been to the West Coast or NYC.
    That's the case with just about every demographic though, so I guess I'm not seeing your point...
    Last edited by 313WX; August-11-15 at 04:09 PM.

Asians are a near-majority in some Census tracts in Troy and Novi, and comprise a majority of the population in some elementary schools in Troy and Novi.

So I would say Troy/Novi are the Asian centers of Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    After attending the Detroit Mass Mob at St. Josephat's last Sunday, Mrs. Gnome and I sat at that same ice cream store on Cass and Willis.

We did not see a passel of Asians; however, we did see a gaggle of gays, a herd homeless, a murder of single mothers and a coven of witches.

each group merited its own comments on their sartorial selections, general affect and catty observation; but that's what we do when people watching. We make up strange tales involving people we see, usually wrapped around a spy ring or sexual liaison, for nothing but amusement.

If if we would have seen a passel of Asians, we would have worked them into the general tale of the supposed homeless guy who was really a lookout for the meth dealing single mom and dog walker who used the dog poo bags for product delivery while the gay couples were planning a neighborhood takeover by dropping secrets.....
    Thank you gnome for your unadulterated "Good Humor". Speaking of which: How was the I scream?

Quote Originally Posted by deeman View Post
    We hit La Feria in Midtown [[Cass & Willis) this weekend. Food was decent and I like the small plates concept but the food needed a bit more flavor.

Anyhow, we got an ice cream at the corner and between the restaurant and sitting outside for ice cream we noticed an abundance of middle aged [[30-40 year old) Asians. After the third or fourth family we were struck by the uniqueness of the situation and could not figure out why the high numbers of Asians were in this area. Perhaps they are medical students at WSU or just doctors from Henry Ford.

Thanks!
    There are a lot of Asian families that live on campus or nearby Wayne State--not just 30-40 year olds but extended families as well. It is pretty common to see a grandma or grandpa out walking babies and toddlers around campus.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast