Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default curbside delivery only! Hungry Howies on Linwood in the D

I recently called in a pizza from Hungry Howies so I could go get it on the way home. While on hold the recording announced that they no longer do "Door" deliveries.

If you want your pizza delivered it would be at your curb ONLY. I wonder what other pizza places are adopting this policy? Anyone heard of such with other pizza spots?
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-07-15 at 02:16 PM.

Not surprised to hear it. I live near that Hungry Howies.

Businesses in not so nice neighborhoods usually have poor service but I feel like that particular store is especially bad. I rarely go there and when I do, they tell me they're closed.

I'm not too far but on the other side of Rosa Parks... I get good service there but, it is a very bad area! So I 'call-in' then pick up fast, I'm not hanging around to see what develops.

They are always friendly, but that little strip is nearly vacant. They cannot even keep a barber shop running.

It is sad that the crime in the City is so bad that delivery people cannot safely get out of their vehicle. It is also sad that merchants must install bullet proof glass and revolving tables at the counter. I will not criticize the merchants, though. They are acting in self defense. The thread about the Gorilla In The Room addresses this problem. I wish I had an answer.
    Last edited by Bobl; August-07-15 at 07:27 PM.

The nearest Domino's to me on the east side still delivered to the door the last time I ordered from them [[late 2014).

EDIT: I will say the Pizza Hut stores in the city, besides no longer having dining rooms / buffets, also no longer deliver.
    Last edited by 313WX; August-07-15 at 05:06 PM.

Those pizza deliver folks don't want to get robbed by black folks wearing hoodies. So curbside delivery while packing heat is way to go in most Detroit ghetto hoods, seems obvious!

How do they know the person waiting at the curb isn't going to rob them?

Yeah, this isn't making much sense to me. So the recipient walks up to the car, pulls out a gun, blasts the driver, free pizza and cash back. I suppose It's a bit safer than walking up to the house, but not by much.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Those pizza deliver folks don't want to get robbed by black folks wearing hoodies. So curbside delivery while packing heat is way to go in most Detroit ghetto hoods, seems obvious!
    Danny do you think they would rather get robbed by white folks wearing hoodies?

Guy I know opened a pizza place on Morang. He lasted less then 6 months at that location. His delivery drivers were getting held up on a regular basis, at least one got beat up. Pizza delivery in the city isn't for the squeamish or faint of heart.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    The nearest Domino's to me on the east side still delivered to the door the last time I ordered from them [[late 2014).

EDIT: I will say the Pizza Hut stores in the city, besides no longer having dining rooms / buffets, also no longer deliver.
    The Domino's on E. Warren near Cadieux delivers to EEV.

Quote Originally Posted by ct_alum View Post
    The Domino's on E. Warren near Cadieux delivers to EEV.
    I'm nearest to the 6 mile and Gratiot location, which delivered the last time I ordered from there.

Some are delivering by tossing like a frisbee while the car is moving.....

Having never ordered home delivery of pizza or any other food [[I prefer to go to take out if I must), it is hard for me to relate to this. I would imagine that pizza delivery, meter reading, Jehovahs Witnesses recruiting, etc must be as unpleasant as hell in high crime areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Having never ordered home delivery of pizza or any other food [[I prefer to go to take out if I must), it is hard for me to relate to this. I would imagine that pizza delivery, meter reading, Jehovahs Witnesses recruiting, etc must be as unpleasant as hell in high crime areas.
    So is living in one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    I would rather dig ditches for sub-minimum wage than deliver pizzas in Detroit. That seems like a sure recipe for eventually suffering severe bodily harm.

Who actually works as delivery drivers in Detroit? Has to be desperate immigrants. Are they armed? Do they really accept cash orders? I can't imagine them walking around with cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I would rather dig ditches for sub-minimum wage than deliver pizzas in Detroit. That seems like a sure recipe for eventually suffering severe bodily harm.

Who actually works as delivery drivers in Detroit? Has to be desperate immigrants. Are they armed? Do they really accept cash orders? I can't imagine them walking around with cash.
    I remember hearing a lot about robberies of delivery drivers in the late 90's. Now, I can't think of very many national chain pizza places in the city. Some of the mom & pop places deliver and I imagine the drivers are armed.

First it was black folks wearing hoodies. Now it's desperate immigrants....what next...
    Last edited by FormerEastsider; August-12-15 at 12:49 PM.

Jet's delivers. How fast you get your order, however, is another story, as they are one of the few providing the service and that makes for a longer wait.

Hungry Howies on Linwood is awesome, their people are nice, food is on par with suburban chains. Starting that business wasn't easy as their insurance provider has given them substantial grief. They are also one of very few businesses to open up in that hood in the last 5 years. If that means I have to drive up there to get my pizza or get off my ass and walk to the curb until they can get a handle on safe delivery, so be it.

I'd think it be mandatory pre-pay credit for a delivery in Detroit. Also, aren't these guys literally carrying, like, $20 or $40 max? I mean they do 1-2 deliveries and go back to the store. Is it really worth robbing them for a few bucks? I've never understood why you'd risk 10-20 years on armed robbery for virtually no money.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    I've never understood why you'd risk 10-20 years on armed robbery for virtually no money.
    First, if you don't understand this, you don't understand drug addiction. Second, the chance of such a robber in the City being called to account for the crime is essentially zero.

Who actually works as delivery drivers in Detroit? Has to be desperate immigrants.
    The delivery drivers at Domino's were definitely American...

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    First, if you don't understand this, you don't understand drug addiction. Second, the chance of such a robber in the City being called to account for the crime is essentially zero.
    This,years ago I was robbed for $40 delivering pizza's...and not in Detroit.Needless to say,that was the end of my "career".

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    First, if you don't understand this, you don't understand drug addiction....snip...
    This is a very important point. A lot of crime, especially in our ghettos, is not so much premeditated as delusional. It doesn't make the delivery driver any less dead however.

Quote Originally Posted by RaumVogel View Post
    This,years ago I was robbed for $40 delivering pizza's...and not in Detroit.Needless to say,that was the end of my "career".
    An event like that puts you in touch with your own mortality real fast.

Wouldn't want to be a cab driver around here either.