Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Motor City Five [[MC5) 50 Year Celebration

Stopped by the Lincoln Park Historical Museum to see the MC5 exhibit yesterday. Lots of cool stuff to see, rare records, many concert posters, pictures, stage wear, guitars, etc. They have rare video footage playing on a flat screen, too. Must see if you're a fan of the 5. Exhibit runs through Labor Day, they are open on Wednesdays and Saturdays from 1pm - 6pm.

http://www.lphistorical.org/

Peace

I learned recently Sonic Youth named themselves after Fred 'Sonic' Smith, the MC5 guitarist. Patti Smith, who you probably know married Fred Smith, mentions it in this 1996 Rolling Stone interview:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...smith-19960711

Anyone ever buy anything interesting at Patti Smith's old store in Royal Oak?

I don't usually care about celebrity sightings, but sitting across from her waiting to board a delayed flight from Detroit to New York was one of my favorite.

That's the best thing I've seen on youtube in a month. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    Anyone ever buy anything interesting at Patti Smith's old store in Royal Oak?
    Different Patti Smithn not Fred's wife.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Different Patti Smithn not Fred's wife.
    I'm happy to hear that. Thanks for clearing it up.
    Last edited by bust; August-06-15 at 02:18 PM.

Had a few conversations with Fred at the Ho Ho Inn, on Second, late nights. They were open until 4:00 AM. Watched the band, many times.
    Years later, he, Patti, and their two young children were at Big Boys Restaurant, 9 Mile Rd & Jefferson for lunch. I was at the next table, when they came in. Fred looked at me, did not remember my name, but said "Ho Ho Inn, right?"

Oh, It's the White Panther Party again.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Oh, It's the White Panther Party again.
    Nooooo...

It was the SDS.

By the way we were downing Ripple and smoking doobies at the event You tubed above.

Those were the days my friend,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3KEhWTnWvE

I was selling watermelon at that event.
    The Mary Hopkins song played constantly next door at the Del Rio Bar [[now Harmonie Garden Cafe), when I worked at Henry Drugs. The daytime customers at Del Rio were mostly retired or older folks.

Somewhere in that video is a young, idealistic, Honky Tonk with a head full of something......

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Somewhere in that video is a young, idealistic, Honky Tonk with a head full of something......
    Where you part of the solution or part of the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Where you part of the solution or part of the problem?
    Give me 5 seconds to realize my purpose here on the planet.......
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; August-08-15 at 05:44 AM.

i wanna see a sea of hands out there....

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I was there, too. Grew up not to far from where Tyner lived. [[Real name was Rob Deminer). One of my paper route buddies delivered to the Tyner house and we used to go over there and watch them jam in the early days. We were way to young to get into any of their club shows so the outdoor gigs were how we saw them. We did ride our bikes up to a bar on Fort Street in Lincoln Park where they played and hung out in the alley listening. If you asked my parents or the police they would tell you I was part of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I was there, too. Grew up not to far from where Tyner lived. [[Real name was Rob Deminer). One of my paper route buddies delivered to the Tyner house and we used to go over there and watch them jam in the early days. We were way to young to get into any of their club shows so the outdoor gigs were how we saw them. We did ride our bikes up to a bar on Fort Street in Lincoln Park where they played and hung out in the alley listening. If you asked my parents or the police they would tell you I was part of the problem.
    Then you know in their VERY early days, they billed themselves as "The Warlocks", [[who didn't?) They played top 40 @ a teen club dance once. They wore these black cassock looking outfits. I still remember Rob's fro'.

I like this thread. The more you feed it, the more it grows.

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-08-08 at 10.05.45 PM.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  68.5 KB

And from a 2010 Detroit YES thread:
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...orridor-Poster

Saw this today. The closing party was tonight but I guess it's still open Sunday and Labor Day.
    Something for the architecture buffs- they had a gargoyle from the Grande Ballroom.