Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Georgia St. Back to School BackPack Giveaway

It's Back to School time again....

2nd Annual BackPack, School Supply and Book Giveaway

The Georgia Street Community Collective is hoping to give away at least 30 backpacks filled with school supplies to needy children. The kids will also have a large supply of books to choose from free of charge.

The date for the giveaway has not been set yet, but we are asking for donations from the Friends of the Georgia Street Community Collective to be able to supply the kids with the basics for the first day of school.

We welcome donations of any of the items on the following list, or cash donations so that we may purchase the items in bulk. Purchased items can be dropped off at 9352 Georgia St. or arrangements can be made for pick-up, if necessary.
    Call 313-452-0684.

Cash donations can be mailed to GSCC, 9352 Georgia St., Detroit MI 48213
    or sent through PayPal [[For PayPal, go to our blog at http://georgiastreetgarden.blogspot.com)

Backpacks
    Notebook Paper
    1" Ring Binder
    No 2 Pencils
    Mechanical Pencils
    Crayons
    Ballpoint Pens
    Color Pencils
    Elmer's Glue
    Glue Sticks
    Pencil Sharpeners
    Erasers
    Pencil Cases
    Color Markers
    Rulers
    Spiral Notebooks
    Hand Sanitizer
    Combination Locks

We understand that these are tough times for everyone.
    Any small donation that you can offer is greatly appreciated
    and will help a child get a jump start on this school year.

Remember that GSCC is a 501[[c)3 charitable organization
    and your donations are tax deductible.

Wednesday morning Bump

I am not seeing any other posts about this by others. I hope I'm not the only one who went to Paypal and made a small donation.

I wasn't able to donate much, but if everyone gives a little bit I'm sure it would mean a lot to those who receive these backpacks. Good luck, Georgia Street angels!

I hope I'm not the only one who went to Paypal and made a small donation.
    No, I did also.

We have received a few donations...and thank you to everyone!

And yes, AroundTown, any donation, no matter how small, is appreciated.

Staples Office Supply store will be helping us put these backpacks together by offering donated items, as well as price reductions on other items. So we ask that when you shop for office supplies, computers, cameras, printing services or office furniture, that you think of Staples first. They have been one of our most supportive angels since we began GSCC.

I just sent a small donation as well - I will also try to get together some of the needed items.

Bless your hearts - it is so important for children to start out the new school year on the right foot.

Bump for the Collective...hope things are coming along with he backpack stuff.

Found some stuff to send out or take to the GSCC.Have to do some shopping.

The BackPack Giveaway will be held on Sunday, August 30th beginning at 3:00 p.m, including free haircuts.

We will also be holding an "End of Summer Vacation" cookout that day beginning at 4:00 p.m., including hot dogs, hamburgers, chips and drinks for the families in the neighborhood and any "Friends of Georgia Street" that would like to attend.

Check our website www.georgiastreetcc.com tomorrow for complete updates.

I'd like to put together a backpack with all the items you listed...should this backback be a boy or a girl style?

Either one will be fine, Gnome. Your generosity is greatly appreciated!

Well, that's ok...

Now, help me out a little. I need to know what age-range you need. A backpack for a 7 yr old girl is different than one for a 15 yr old. My Little Pony vs Usher.

It is a question concerning the contents as well. If it is for a 15yr old I'd change out the crayons for a Locker Organizer. In a phrase, I need a mental picture for whom I'm buying for.

Gnome: We are in the process of gathering that information from the kids of the neighborhood by trying to get them to pre-register. Hopefully we will have an answer for you by the end of the week.

Ok, I'll try to hold off shopping until the wkend.

It's another issue, but I've collected a whole bunch of stuff, playhouse, slide, kid's tables, strollers, a half-dozen bikes, wading pools, rocking horses, swings, etc.

I'd like to deliver those items to Cub, but I don't drive nor have access to a pickup to transport them. Anybody willing to help? I'll kick in for gas.

I'm in Lincoln Park, if that makes a difference.

p.s. Cub, use or dispose of those items as you see fit.

Jams, If me and my truck were more reliable. I would help you without a problem. I would like to get to Cubs some time this weekend with some stuff. But keep in mind I only got a little Ranger.

thanks, reddog.

I subscribe to a few freecycle lists, and the members are generally extremely generous. If there were a more specific list, as gnome suggests, I could put out the word.

How about socks and briefs? Stores are having lots of back-to-school underwear sales.

Hey Jams! I would love to come pick the stuff up but my garage and basement are JAM packed with stuff. If you give me a little time I can try to find a place to store it.

Hi Crystal! I know a couple of the kids who really could use some socks and briefs.
    The kids ages range from 6 to 14 1st grade to 9th grade.

thanks Cub. Most of the stuff is outdoors.

I envisioned it as the nucleus of a playground in the yard of the community center. I'm drooling at the plans of a playhouse, swing set, slide, etc. that could be built there. Alas, I'm poor..

Due to a neighbors eviction today I've three more bikes and a wagon added to the collection..

Anybody want to teach bike repair?

Well, we just had a playset donated 30 x 16. This thing has three slides and a rock climbing wall. Right now we are storing it in Cookin64's back yard till we can get it set up somewhere.

that is wonderful!

After a very emotional couple of days helping my neighbor and her four kids salvage what we could from her eviction and get her a place to stay temporarily, I really need to hear something positive.

Damn, it pisses me off, that this society is so willing to waste the lives of our children so easily.

...and that's why people like you are so neccessary.
    Last edited by jams; August-20-09 at 05:47 PM.

Hopefully I can get some of Jams stuff down to Cubs and get rid of my Haz Mat stuff in my backyard on Saturday.

Thanks again reddog, but I work Saturdays and Sundays.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast