Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default What was burning August 5 evening commute time?

Where was that giant plume of smoke originating? looked like the east side somewhere down near the river. I heard nothing on the radio, saw nothing on TV. but it looked huge

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Where was that giant plume of smoke originating? looked like the east side somewhere down near the river. I heard nothing on the radio, saw nothing on TV. but it looked huge
    Just an old strip of businesses on Harper and Van Dyke.

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    Just an old strip of businesses on Harper and Van Dyke.
    thanks. that one that had a theater?

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    thanks. that one that had a theater?
    No it was across the street from the theater. On the west side of Van Dyke.

Link to the WDIV video of the fire:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/v...troit/34559534

Google Street View of the building:

https://goo.gl/maps/otLva

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Link to the WDIV video of the fire:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/v...troit/34559534

Google Street View of the building:

https://goo.gl/maps/otLva
    Thanks! I wonder what was in it - that smoke plume I saw was WAY bigger and blacker than I'd expect from a building that size and construction

Yep! That was the Harper-Van Dyke Commercial District. The Low-income folks moved in, the middle class move out. The fools continue to burn Detroit down to the ground erasing the white man's mistakes. Detroit Land Bank, you have to tear those abandon dangerous buildings down or they will burn it down. Your choice!

saw it from Woodward and the Davidson

My great-great grandfather Zielinski had a photo studio in that strip somewhere; I've always been curious where exactly. My grandfather worked there as a boy. Anyone know more about what businesses were in this strip during the 1930's/1940s?

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    My great-great grandfather Zielinski had a photo studio in that strip somewhere; I've always been curious where exactly. My grandfather worked there as a boy. Anyone know more about what businesses were in this strip during the 1930's/1940s?

I don't go back that far but I remember an Edmund T Ahee Jewelery store about where the fire was. There were offices upstairs along that section and some dentist and medical offices were up there. There was a alley way I remember running along Harper and a restaurant was next to the alley. Across the street was a White tower.

It was actually more behind the theater [[according to the Google map link).

You guys had me fearing the barber shop owned by the old dude [[who was always nice to us and glad that we brought more activity to that area when we ran the Easttown Theater) had burned down.