Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Nike Store coming to Detroit ?

McInnis said "high-end retail" has come or is coming soon to Detroit, including Moosejaw, Under Armour, designer John Varvatos and Nike.

After mentioning Nike, McInnis quickly corrected himself.

"I'm not supposed to say that, I don't think," he joked, prompting laughter from the crowd.

http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/in...l#incart_river

Do Nike stores do well? I walked by the one at Birch Run a couple years ago and it seemed busy, but that's obviously an outlet. Maybe it's a tell tale sign of me getting older, but shelling out tons of cash to have the "Swoosh" on my clothing seems nuts. I almost feel like Nike was cool in the 90's, early 2000's. Now kids wanna wear Under Armour.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Maybe it's a tell tale sign of me getting older, but shelling out tons of cash to have the "Swoosh" on my clothing seems nuts.
    Ok, Who are you and what have you done with mikeg19?

Do Nike stores do well? I walked by the one at Birch Run a couple years ago and it seemed busy, but that's obviously an outlet. Maybe it's a tell tale sign of me getting older, but shelling out tons of cash to have the "Swoosh" on my clothing seems nuts. I almost feel like Nike was cool in the 90's, early 2000's. Now kids wanna wear Under Armour.
    If this is an actual Niketown then yes, it would be a huge win for downtown Detroit's retail scene. That would be in Apple Store territory.

I can almost assure you, as someone who covers high school sports, kids love Nike. When the University of Michigan announced they'll be going to Nike apparel over Under Armour and Addidas, it was apparent how key that was for recruits. Under Armour is popular, but Nike still rules the market.

will they have budget-priced shoes at all? Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Ok, Who are you and what have you done with mikeg19?
    He might as well be dead. New Mikeg has a wife, new baby, and mortgage. $1000 Shinola's and $200 shoes are things of the past. Fiscal responsibility is a real downer.....

He might as well be dead. New Mikeg has a wife, new baby, and mortgage. $1000 Shinola's and $200 shoes are things of the past. Fiscal responsibility is a real downer.....
    Next time you're at Target pick-up a pack of Hanes T's. Wife can sew on swooshes. Just make sure she gets them right side up or you'll look like a dork.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    If this is an actual Niketown then yes, it would be a huge win for downtown Detroit's retail scene. That would be in Apple Store territory.
    I would love to see an NBA store next and also a Levis and Ann TaylorLoft downtown on Woodward

One idea that I have is for Gratiot from downtown to Grand Blvd be lined with outlet and earehouse stores such as Sears Warehouse and other closeout stores. There sre already Peoples restaurant eqipment and plumbing supply stores on Gratiot. I could see Bed Bath and Beyond having a closeout store on Gratiot as wrll as Levis

NIKETOWN-Chicago is at 669 N Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL 60611 in the old Saks and Co store, greatly remodeled. Great store located in the heart of the "Mag Mile" Would be a major win for downtown...lets see, which location on Woodward? The old Lane Bryant? Chandlers Shoes? Winklemans? or the new Hudson's block due to be announced in September? My bet would be in the new Hudson block as Niketown tends to go big...two story main floor, hanging sculptures, etc. in Chicago and Manhattan...smaller store in San Francisco on Union Square, but given size constraints and sqf costs San Francisco has less available space.

I live a few blocks from a New Balance shoe store in Madison, WI. New Balance still makes shoes in the US. If a new shoe store is put in Detroit to vacuum away money, at least a New Balance store would put other Americans to work.

I find it interesting that all this news out there about the guy mentioning Nike, but nobody seems to even bat an eye at the mention of Under Armour. Was there an announcement about that already or something?

As far as athletic retailers go, we all know Nike is top dog, so who is second? Adidas or Under Armour?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I find it interesting that all this news out there about the guy mentioning Nike, but nobody seems to even bat an eye at the mention of Under Armour. Was there an announcement about that already or something?
    I was wondering about that too, since he walked back the Nike comment but not the Under Armour one.

One thing that concern me. New retail have a hard time opening and operating in Detroit for they have a hard time with Certs and approvals from building and safety inspectors. I was excited to hear that Carhartt is opening a store in Midtown but was disappointed when their opening date was set back from Spring to late summer. Many retail had gone through this delay by red tape with the city especially by the DEGC who still have corrupt members on it's board. A minor example of the city's red tape is Starbucks had been planning to open in Greektown for months and still not open. Starbucks on Woodward and 13 announced a few months ago that they are relocated to Woodward and 14 and guess what; the new location, a former Caribou Coffee site had been renovated and opened. How do we expect retail to find Detroit attractive when the city is too anal, corrupt, incompetent, or incompetent to make itself attractive to retail who want to set up shop

this would be HUGE... there's what, four other locations across the united states? this would absolutely make downtown detroit a local shopping destination. would pull in MUCH more foot traffic than john varvatos, nojo kicks, carhartt, etc.

Nike stores aren't just about sneakers either... watches, sunglasses, apparel, the list goes on.. i still remember on my 8th grade field trip to chicago many years ago the one place all the kids were most excited to go to was Nike Town... to think we'll have one in detroit.. it'll pull people's interest in across the state// northern Ohio

I really like the part about working with youth in the community to promote athletics. They found the right recipe to separate me from my money if this does happen.

Dan Gilbert kicks up heels for Detroit sneaker company[, Campless]
    The local tech scene notched another new entrant after mortgage giant Dan Gilbert invested in a high-end collectible sneaker valuation company that recently moved to Detroit.

Campless, a website that provides data to sneaker collectors, said last week it has received a "significant investment" from Detroit Venture Partners, a Detroit-based venture capital firm that invests in seed and early-stage technology companies and managed by Gilbert....

Campless is a “sneakerhead data” company that collects and analyzes data about the resale sneaker market, according to officials. hu[n?]ting through more than 20 million online auctions. The company says it provides clients ten standard statistics about every shoe, including the number of pairs on the market, volatility and several price and volume trends.

The company pegs the worldwide industry at more than $6 billion....
    I feel the fool asking this, but is this a joke? Is there any significant value in "preowned" sneakers? Is there even any significant value in data about used sneakers? Do either appreciate with wear?

Is this a misdated April Fools Day article?
    Last edited by Jimaz; September-21-15 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Dan Gilbert kicks up heels for Detroit sneaker company[, Campless]I feel the fool asking this, but is this a joke? Is there any significant value in "preowned" sneakers? Is there even any significant value in data about used sneakers? Do they appreciate with wear?

Is this a misdated April Fools Day article?
    You would be surprised, a vintage pair of Nike or Reboks can bring thousands of dollars per pair.

There is also a huge export market to Hati and such for used big name popular sneakers.

Yeah there's a massive collectors world out there. The companies also make limited runs of shoes [[color variations, etc.) as well, which are bought by aficionados and collectors. I don't care about shoes myself but it's real.

In a different thread I was thinking it would be a good idea to have a store but also a museum where private collections would be put on display. I think it would mean something to the sneaker world that Detroit had a museum.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    You would be surprised, a vintage pair of Nike or Reboks can bring thousands of dollars per pair.

There is also a huge export market to Hati and such for used big name popular sneakers.
    Okay, I confess I was totally unaware of this market.

What am I bid for this gently-used-but-fashionable gum wrapper?

Hehehe.... if some LEGO sets can sell for upwards of $5000 or more... then I believe that certain NIKE shoes can command premium prices....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast