Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Nice job PD!

Default Nice job PD!

Looks like a job well done.

Only the most stupid of criminals would lead police on a chase into Grosse Pointe. Our police do not play here. We don't put up with nonsense like that here.

Well done, men and women in blue!

DetroitBoy Guest

These armed hoodlums were chased on 8 mile rd from Ryan all the way to Morningside in GPW during rush hour? That has to be at least 10 miles across multiple cities. Thank God the GPW police were able to stop the reign of terror this chase must have caused during that time of day and the shock the people living near North must have suffered watching them jump fences in the backyards while being chased by armed officers. What a shame to see the problems from Detroit's ghetto neighborhoods ruin Harper Woods and spillover in Grosse Pointe.

The stats in Detroit keeping saying crime is down there but how can they say that when it keeps impacting the bordering communities?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    The stats in Detroit keeping saying crime is down there but how can they say that when it keeps impacting the bordering communities?
    Because one has nothing to do with the other.

On one hand, I appreciate the level of service that Grosse Pointe suburbs afford their residents when it comes to police response. But let's not get the wrong idea here. There were police vehicles from at least 3 different jurisdictions involved in this car chase as well as Michigan State Police. The reason why the police in Grosse Pointe ended the chase was likely more about geography rather than competence...If you take 8 mile rd as far east until it ends...you end up in Grosse Pointe Woods. At that point it was either drive into Lake Saint Clair or jump out of the vehicles. It doesn't take too much tactical knowhow...you've got 14 police cars chasing him from behind; send in a few patrol cars heading him off from Lakeshore, and he's got nowhere to go. I don't think they entered Grosse Pointe Woods because they were stupid. I think it's because they were cornered.

Statistics about crime are widely misunderstood.

Detroit has one of the highest homicide rates per capita. But does that make it more "dangerous"?

- Homicide in Detroit is not "you have a 1 in x chance of being murdered". Most homicides here are gang related, drug related, domestic abuse related. Yes, there are exceptions. But somehow, if you avoid the above 3, the numbers go way down.

- Do you ever wonder what it would be like if we measure homicides *per square mile* instead of *per capita*? Given the geographic footprint of the city, I think that we're probably not near the top of that list.

But that's not the point. Both murder per capita and murder per square mile are not really useful measurements to determine whether or not you as a person are safe.

And neither of those statistics tell you anything about whether or not things are better or worse near the borders. If you cut the murder rate by 90% but all of them took place between Alter Rd. and Cadieux, Detroit would be a "safer" city, but that won't make Grosse Pointe Park residents feel any better.

Harper Woods [[and Detroit, for that matter) wasn't ruined by ghetto neighborhoods. It's been ruined by poverty and deindustrialization. Those social problems that "come from Detroit" aren't going to stop spreading. You're already seeing them in parts of Macomb County and Downriver.

For 50 years, the prime solution to coping with the social ills associated with poverty was very simple: just move further away. Well, we are approaching the financial limit to that strategy, and with each passing year, we increase the infrastructural cost to do it while also accelerating the "spread of the disease".

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    - Do you ever wonder what it would be like if we measure homicides *per square mile* instead of *per capita*? Given the geographic footprint of the city, I think that we're probably not near the top of that list.
    http://www.neighborhoodscout.com gives an overall crimes per square mile number for different cities [[without a lot of explanation of what goes into the number):

Michigan overall: 34/sq mi
    Southfield: 91
    West Bloomfield: 29
    Farmington Hills: 36
    Grosse Pointe Woods: 75
    Harper Woods: 441
    Detroit: 389
    Utica: 118
    Pontiac: 178
    Ontonogan County [[pop. 6800): 4

I thought Harper Woods was getting skewed because of its small size, but it's crime rate per 1000 residents [[82.5) is actually higher than Detroit's [[80). The UP, not surprisingly, came in pretty low. Overall, I'm not sure how useful the statistic is, but it's an interesting comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    http://www.neighborhoodscout.com gives an overall crimes per square mile number for different cities [[without a lot of explanation of what goes into the number):

Michigan overall: 34/sq mi
    Southfield: 91
    West Bloomfield: 29
    Farmington Hills: 36
    Grosse Pointe Woods: 75
    Harper Woods: 441
    Detroit: 389
    Utica: 118
    Pontiac: 178
    Ontonogan County [[pop. 6800): 4

I thought Harper Woods was getting skewed because of its small size, but it's crime rate per 1000 residents [[82.5) is actually higher than Detroit's [[80). The UP, not surprisingly, came in pretty low. Overall, I'm not sure how useful the statistic is, but it's an interesting comparison.
    very interesting. I was actually thinking about comparing to other major cities like Chicago, Boston, etc. I will have to play around with this.