Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dombrowski Out As Tigers Gm, Avila In

Toronto radio [[once again ahead of Detroit papers) reports Dombrowski let go "time is right to allow him to pursue other opportunities" as quoted by Mike Ilitch. Al Avila to replace him. Problem I have is that Tigers one glaring weakness has been scouting and player development and it's my understanding this was Avila's responsibility.

Saw it on the Freep site. I'm of two minds here. The Mariners are underperforming this year, but whose fault is it, GM Jack Zduriencik, manager Lloyd McClendon, the guys in the radio booth? No, it's the players. It's easy to fire a GM, at least easier than firing the whole team, or at least major hunks of it.

news just reported Mr I still wants to win, still wants the playoffs, and he is not trying to get rid of payroll. What does this mean? We just got rid of the idk best/second best lefty in baseball. Just got rid of our closer, got nothing for him. Just got rid of Cespedis. I don't believe it. I think Al Avila is lying. Now we'll never be rid of alex

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    Saw it on the Freep site. I'm of two minds here. The Mariners are underperforming this year, but whose fault is it, GM Jack Zduriencik, manager Lloyd McClendon, the guys in the radio booth? No, it's the players. It's easy to fire a GM, at least easier than firing the whole team, or at least major hunks of it.
    Jon Paul Morosi at Foxsports, who still lives in Ann Arbor, says the consensus is that it was not a firing. Dombrowski told Ilitch he would like to explore other options at the end of the year when his contract expired and Ilitch decided it would be best to leave now. This is a favor for Dombrowski as it gives him first crack at the prime jobs coming up. I do think Dombrowski was well respected around the league and gave the Tigers a high level of respectability. On the other hand, Avila should have respect among the many Latino players in the league. At the end of the day, money talks when it comes to free agents. The Tigers have to start developing some of their own pitchers. You cannot simply sign a bunch of veterans every year for a million bucks each and hope it turns into a good bullpen.

Big step backwards today for the franchise, that being said, DD may have been planning on bolting for somewhere else anyways. Maybe the Tigers caught wind and exacted some revenge? Had DD pull off what appears to be decent trades while simultaneously giving his job to his understudy.

Avilla is the main reason we have JD Martinez' they go way back...

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Jon Paul Morosi at Foxsports, who still lives in Ann Arbor, says the consensus is that it was not a firing. Dombrowski told Ilitch he would like to explore other options at the end of the year when his contract expired and Ilitch decided it would be best to leave now. This is a favor for Dombrowski as it gives him first crack at the prime jobs coming up. I do think Dombrowski was well respected around the league and gave the Tigers a high level of respectability. On the other hand, Avila should have respect among the many Latino players in the league. At the end of the day, money talks when it comes to free agents. The Tigers have to start developing some of their own pitchers. You cannot simply sign a bunch of veterans every year for a million bucks each and hope it turns into a good bullpen.
    Nice post, totally agree..

curious. good luck to the new GM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    Nice post, totally agree..
    Does this mean another few years with Alex Avila. The best .185 hitter in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Does this mean another few years with Alex Avila. The best .185 hitter in baseball.
    I listened to the press conference and he said the whole father/son thing has been awkward from the get go. He even specifically mentioned asking DD not to draft his son. Hard to argue with what they got out of that pick, but its time to move on. I was glad he addressed it, what he said may have been for show though...

Might as well finish the housecleaning and fire Ausmus.

I thought it was really nice of Dave to move on to greener pastures and leave his longtime employee a shot at the big desk set up as best he could do for him under the circumstances. Hope it works well for the Tigers.

Time to clean the barn: Avila, Rajai, Albaturkey, Romine & the entire bullpen!

And don't forget Assmus.....what a mistake, no prior mgr experience at all, right.....

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Time to clean the barn: Avila, Rajai, Albaturkey, Romine & the entire bullpen!

And don't forget Assmus.....what a mistake, no prior mgr experience at all, right.....

Mike Matheny of the Cards didn't have any experience either and look where St Louis sits, they have the best record in baseball, and are routinely one of the best teams in baseball every year. It is his success that made the Tigers hire Ausmus, because the prevailing thought was, managers that were catchers previously, made good managers. It's working for Matheny, not so much for Ausmus.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; August-05-15 at 02:56 AM.

Alex ought to get down on his knees and thank the almighty that he bats left-handed. I've always found Avila and Kowalkowski's sports careers to be very fitting, considering how much this area seems to embrace nepotism and cronyism. How far below the Mendoza line does one have to fall before on base % becomes irrelevant ? Not everyone gets a decade long career on special teams....in fact, I can't think of one in 50 years of watching the NFL...with a salary cap no less.

Sorry to wander off topic, but nepotism/cronyism holds a special place in my heart...can you tell ?

One more point...we had to move slick fielding Ray Oyler from SS in the '68 series because he was only hitting .220 in the dead ball era. That's almost 50 points above Alex. Anyone else would be let go...but the Tigers will save family face by letting Avila play out the year. Somebody should ask the AAA catcher lanquishing at Toledo what he thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    One more point...we had to move slick fielding Ray Oyler from SS in the '68 series because he was only hitting .220 in the dead ball era. That's almost 50 points above Alex. Anyone else would be let go...but the Tigers will save family face by letting Avila play out the year. Somebody should ask the AAA catcher lanquishing at Toledo what he thinks.
    I would assume that Alex a free agent will go elsewhere, but it will be tough based on this year's season.

We asked him [[AAA catcher), family & politics are a sure win, except the pronunciation of the last name.....

Question about 'salary dump' circa summer/fall 2015:

Price, Cespedes, and Soria - gone.

Avila and Davis - free agents.

Nathan - is 2015 last year on his contract?

Anyone else I'm missing?

Curious how the Tigers will handle J.D. even though I assume his contract isn't expiring. He is due a big raise, sooner the better.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post

Curious how the Tigers will handle J.D. even though I assume his contract isn't expiring. He is due a big raise, sooner the better.
    Thats the upside of hiring Avilla, he is the reason JD is in Detroit. He and JD go way back, they talked about it once JD started having success last year. The Tigers tried to trade for JD but couldn't strike a deal, and then to the Tigers surprise, he was released before Spring Training last year. The Tigers pounced. Hopefully he rewards Avilla for recognizing his potential. I would hope Avilla extends him this offseason, he needs to learn from DD's mistakes of waiting to long and having to pay premium market prices for every good player.

[QUOTE=emu steve;485647]Question about 'salary dump' circa summer/fall 2015:

Anyone else I'm missing?

Alfredo Simon - this is not a misprint - making $5.5 million

[QUOTE=401don;485650]
    Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Question about 'salary dump' circa summer/fall 2015:

Anyone else I'm missing?

Alfredo Simon - this is not a misprint - making $5.5 million
    Yep, I forgot Simon.

BTW, can you confirm that Nathan is in the final year of his expensive contract?

BTW, I've seen numbers tossed about that the Tigers will have over 50M coming off of next year's salaries from the 3 players traded + other with expiring contracts....

Al Avila could go hard for more Latin players on a team with a really strong Latin flavor... Team reported to having a very strong "Latin-friendly" clubhouse.

Nathan's 2 yr. 20 million dollar deal is done but they still have to pay him a 1 million dollar buyout.
    50 million sounds about right but indications are team is going to reduce payroll somewhat. They will need to spend 20-30 million just to get 2 decent starters and a couple of relievers. Not sure they can afford Cespedes even if he is willing to return. Mets will make big offer, among others.

By the way Tigers are starting Matt Boyd tonight, MLB debut. Hope they're not rushing him. He's not near as ready as Norris.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Nathan's 2 yr. 20 million dollar deal is done but they still have to pay him a 1 million dollar buyout.
    50 million sounds about right but indications are team is going to reduce payroll somewhat. They will need to spend 20-30 million just to get 2 decent starters and a couple of relievers. Not sure they can afford Cespedes even if he is willing to return. Mets will make big offer, among others.

By the way Tigers are starting Matt Boyd tonight, MLB debut. Hope they're not rushing him. He's not near as ready as Norris.
    My thoughts on Boyd, too.

BTW, is Lobstein due back and does he take the #5 slot [[thereby allowing Boyd to return to the minors)? P.S. I realize I have two questions with an 'and' in between. Not a good way to write questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    Actually Oyler hit .135 in 68.

Rumors flying around about whether Chris Ilitch is behind the DD firing. Seems he wants more say within the organization. Translation= Avilla is the new yes-man!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast