Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default New Charter School focuses on Chaldean Culture

"Iraqi-born Dunia Hormez has always tried to pass on her Chaldean culture to her children even as they have attended public schools.

Next month, her lessons at home will be reinforced when she sends five of her kids to what organizers say is the nation’s first Chaldean-centered charter school.

Scheduled to open Sept. 8, the Keys Grace Academy Charter School, in Madison Heights, is aimed at preserving the Iraqi-Christian heritage through education.

“It gives them more of the culture I try to teach them, and they will learn the language, too,” Hormez said.

The school plans a ribbon cutting on Thursday and open house on Friday.

The Keys Grace Academy will open as Metro Detroit has grown to include 150,000 Chaldeans, making the region home to the second-largest Chaldean community in the world. Most Chaldeans are Eastern Rite Catholics who speak their native language, Aramaic, and are indigenous to Iraq, Syria and parts of Iran and Turkey.

Although the school will welcome all children in pre-kindergarten through 12th grade, it is expected that most will be Chaldean. Upon graduation, the students are expected to be proficient in at least three languages: English, Aramaic and either Spanish or French. Each student will be provided two uniforms, shoes, computers, breakfast and lunch, and free transportation.

It will be “a public school with a private school feeling,” as founder Nathan Kalasho and his family will greet students every morning, spokesman Mort Meisner said.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...tion/31091035/

Excerpt

I'm somewhat surprised that this is the first. Kudos and future success to this academy.

A school for Chaldeans only! I called it racist!

What's interesting is that the Christian faith is integral to Chaldean culture. They are very pious people. I'm surprised there is no Chaldean Catholic school in the region. I know they can go to "regular" Catholic schools, but if they're so interested in preserving their Iraqi-Christian heritage, then why don't they just open up a private school? Can I open up a charter school so that my children can learn about their Anglo-Judeo-Christian heritage? With the separation of church of state, how can I be sure my tax paying dollars aren't being used to teach a religious education?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    A school for Chaldeans only! I called it racist!
    You obviously did not read the article in it's entirety:

"Although the school will welcome all children in pre-kindergarten through 12th grade, it is expected that most will be Chaldean."

BTW....Chaldean is not a race.
    Last edited by FormerEastsider; August-07-15 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerEastsider View Post

"Although the school will welcome all children in pre-kindergarten through 12th grade, it is expected that most will be Chaldean."

Public funding shouldn't be going to segregation. This will be, in practice, a Chaldean-only school, with taxpayer dollars subsidizing segregation.

If a private entity wants to do so, great, but scarce public dollars shouldn't be utilized in this manner, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Public funding shouldn't be going to segregation. This will be, in practice, a Chaldean-only school, with taxpayer dollars subsidizing segregation.

If a private entity wants to do so, great, but scarce public dollars shouldn't be utilized in this manner, IMO.

I agree with you. The Chaldean only school in Madison Heights is all of their cultural centered paid for with my tax dollars. They will have to welcome people with all races. That school will be intergrated soon.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerEastsider View Post

I didn't wrote that Chaldean is a race. I know Chaldeans is not a race of people, they are nationality. They are mixture of Indo-European people that mixed in with Semitic People once their lands been conquered by Hittites, Babylonians, Assyrians, Persians, Macedonians with few Greeks, Romans, Byzantines and various Islamic Arabs tribes. That school should not use peoples' tax dollars for their benefit. Now that charter school have to bring in people of all color. Noe just Chaldeans just to learn Chaldean history, languages and culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I didn't wrote that Chaldean is a race. I know Chaldeans is not a race of people, they are nationality. They are mixture of Indo-European people that mixed in with Semitic People once their lands been conquered by Hittites, Babylonians, Assyrians, Persians, Macedonians with few Greeks, Romans, Byzantines and various Islamic Arabs tribes. That school should not use peoples' tax dollars for their benefit. Now that charter school have to bring in people of all color. Noe just Chaldeans just to learn Chaldean history, languages and culture.
    Then why did you write this: " A school for Chaldeans only! I called it racist!"

^^^ Perhaps he should have called it Nationalist?

Having pride in your heritage and teaching it is fine. But don't build a school supported by tax dollars to do it. If your here to segregate yourselves then how does that support your neighbor/country? Many cultures seem to be so proud that they feel they are better than the native people of the country that they live in. Years ago any many relatives strived to assimilate to being an American. Now we're making making exceptions to accommodate people not even born here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

"Scheduled to open Sept. 8, the Keys Grace Academy Charter School, in Madison Heights, is aimed at preserving the Iraqi-Christian heritage through education."

I'd add that public funds should not be used for religious purposes, but as long as its Christian the conservatives won't mind. Now lets say it was a school aimed at preserving Saudi Arabian-Muslim heritage, just imagine the great hue and cry.

We are turning into what Yugoslavia was. Ethnic communities with outsiders not welcome. Except with public funding.

DetroitBoy Guest

I don't see any problem with there being a school providing teaching on Chaldean culture. The DPS had classes in Africa studies and history and events for decades and no one complained about them using public money. Many Chaldeans came to this country escaping war in their native land, worked hard, provided stores and gas stations in ghetto neighborhoods who would have none if it wasn't for them. Their entire family worked hard in their businesses to make them successful. They take care of their families without selling drugs or shooting each other and now have 150,000 people in Metro Detroit.

Are people having a problem because it is for Chaldeans? Sounds like it is ethnic discrimination to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    I don't see any problem with there being a school providing teaching on Chaldean culture. The DPS had classes in Africa studies and history and events for decades and no one complained about them using public money. Many Chaldeans came to this country escaping war in their native land, worked hard, provided stores and gas stations in ghetto neighborhoods who would have none if it wasn't for them. Their entire family worked hard in their businesses to make them successful. They take care of their families without selling drugs or shooting each other and now have 150,000 people in Metro Detroit.

Are people having a problem because it is for Chaldeans? Sounds like it is ethnic discrimination to me.
    Well, for starters, there is a big difference between classes in a public school that cover studies of an entire region or continent [[i.e., African Studies) and a school that [[realistically) will be limited to one ethnic group and their religion at taxpayers expense. If the Chaldean Christians want a school, it should be on their own dime. Or would you also like an Iranian Shiite charter school? A Saudi Arabian Wahhabi charter school?
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; August-09-15 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Well, for starters, there is a big difference between classes in a public school that cover studies of an entire region or continent [[i.e., African Studies) and a school that [[realistically) will be limited to one ethnic group and their religion at taxpayers expense. If the Chaldean Christians want a school, it should be on their own dime. Or would you also like an Iranian Shiite charter school? A Saudi Arabian Wahhabi charter school?
    Would a European-centric school then be OK? I don't get your distinction.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Would a European-centric school then be OK? I don't get your distinction.
    My point is actually the opposite of that; its a big leap from having [[1) a class that covers a specific culture, region or group, and [[2) a publicly supported school that is essentially limited to a particular culture or group.