Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Which is Detroit's Sunday paper?

A question in two parts from a Detroit ex pat....

1) Is the News or The Free Press the Sunday paper of record

and

2) How much longer can Detroit remain a two newspaper city?

Thanks in advance......

It's both. I get the Free Press. The Sunday version has sections from the News. Opinion pages from both the Free Press and the News. Shared Obits. I am sure there are other shared items.

What gazhekwe said. In fact, years ago, it was the "Sunday Free Press & News."

"Joint Operating Agreement" comes to mind.

Media consolidation isn't just a Detroit problem.

I figured there was a JOA in place. How long does it last? I ask because out here there was one between the Seattle Times and the Post-Intelligencer which lasted [[through a wave of lawsuits) until 2009, when the P-I folded as a printed rag. It survives [[sort of) on the web.

I guess the question I'm asking is are the papers making any money?

The web editions are practically the same.

"If you read the internet, you know"..........

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    I figured there was a JOA in place. How long does it last? I ask because out here there was one between the Seattle Times and the Post-Intelligencer which lasted [[through a wave of lawsuits) until 2009, when the P-I folded as a printed rag. It survives [[sort of) on the web.

I guess the question I'm asking is are the papers making any money?
    The original JOA was signed in 1986 and began in 1987, combining the business operations of the two papers. The agreement was set to run for 100 years.

The agreement was rewritten when both papers were sold in 2005 and changed to a 25 year agreement, with an "escape" provision after 10 years. That revised agreement was signed 10 years ago today. So, beginning today, if the newspapers' combined business operation [[now known as Michigan.com) loses money for 3 consecutive years, either paper may opt out of the JOA and go it alone.

The 2 newspapers put out a combined Sunday edition from 1987 to 2006. Then the Free Press decided to put out their own Sunday paper. However, the JOA still forces them to include some News content [[like the editorial page) in their Sunday paper. The News does not print a Sunday edition.

The Free Press has just a little less than twice the weekday circulation of the News, and its website draws many more views. As far as I know, both newspapers and their partnership are still losing money and have not been profitable for many years.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; August-03-15 at 09:27 AM.

Moron staff writers & make money.......really.

Both papers are staffed by jaded/bitter journalists so you're better off getting your news from non-traditional sources [[DetYes/Curbed/Crains/Dbusiness).

Stories repeat like broken records every year:

Some people are mad at a Grand Prix. Damages grass that grows back.

Some people are against fireworks. They are too loud. They should be limited/banned.

Some people are upset landlord isn't renewing their rents and evicting them in desirable areas. Seems too hard to find a new unit.

Unsuccessful business owners are jealous at new successful owners. Try to stir pot claiming we've been left behind.

Some people think Dream Cruise causes too much traffic. How to limit noise.

Some people around Auto Show time think Michigan should diversify economy more and not be so auto centric.

Some people think Gilbert doesn't play by same rules. How to level playing field for everyone.

New developments excitedly announced before journalist checks to see if financing is in place. Development never materializes.

That's 90% of the news =)

Rather read the paper than have to hear the "Hanson" jingle, Wallside Windows and the Bernstein family every ten minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by preserve View Post
    Rather read the paper than have to hear the "Hanson" jingle, Wallside Windows and the Bernstein family every ten minutes.
    Darn good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Darn good point.
    Yes, and some of us old guys just like to have the paper in our hands, except for windy days at Belle Isle.

The web edition's design is abysmal. It's the same as USA Today [[also owned by Gannett).

I at least wish the font was serif.

Quote Originally Posted by Augustus View Post
    The web edition's design is abysmal. It's the same as USA Today [[also owned by Gannett).
    I don't think the News [[or the joint venture) has been owned by Gannett for years, right?

Quote Originally Posted by preserve View Post
    What is this referring to? Are you saying you get advertisements on line? Are you still using dial-up as well?

For better or worse, the "Sunday Paper" is analogous to the corded telephone for most...