Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Bus safety in Detroit question

As my main car has been slowly falling apart from all those bumpy, cracked roads we unfortunately have too many of for a long while and is now undriveable again [[and even when it works, it can't handle heading too far), I suddenly realized something I never thought about the previous times in which my car was undriveable.

I have suddenly decided to take the SMART bus more often. Now there's this question...I know the 125 doesn't go downtown outside of the peak times, so in case I do have to go that way...how safe is it to travel on the bus within the city of Detroit and in other torn-up areas like Ecorse? I know this ain't the 70's and 80's any more, but I don't wanna transfer from the 125 to DDOT at Outer Drive and end up confronting a bunch of hoodlums who want to punch me, steal all my savings, even take my life.
    Last edited by mtburb; August-02-15 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    I have suddenly decided to take the SMART bus more often. Now there's this question...I know the 125 doesn't go downtown outside of the peak times, so in case I do have to go that way...how safe is it to travel on the bus within the city of Detroit and in other torn-up areas like Ecorse? I know this ain't the 70's and 80's any more, but I don't wanna transfer from the 125 to DDOT at Outer Drive and end up confronting a bunch of hoodlums who want to punch me, steal all my savings, even take my life.
    In all my years of riding DDOT buses, I have always had problems with the reliability of the service, but I have never had any trouble with safety while on the buses. Now, waiting for the bus, it just depends on where you are waiting for the bus, which is a neighborhood issue and not a bus issue. My bus rides tended to be downtown, midtown, northeast, northwest, and due-west [[say, Mexicantown), and I'm not too familiar with the southwest neighborhoods you will be traversing, so maybe someone else with some more localized knowledge can join in.

As my main car has been slowly falling apart from all those bumpy, cracked roads we unfortunately have too many of for a long while and is now undriveable again [[and even when it works, it can't handle heading too far), I suddenly realized something I never thought about the previous times in which my car was undriveable.

Get your car fixed, or buy a new one.

you should be fine just dont do it after 10:00 pm

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    you should be fine just dont do it after 10:00 pm
    But I am still mainly unsure how safe it really is during the day, especially if I'm on a downtown-bound 125. I'm actually still a bit spectical about even using any bus in Detroit during the day, let alone after 10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    It actually already has been fixed.
    Last edited by mtburb; August-03-15 at 09:40 PM.

It is generally safe during the day. White people do ride the DDOT buses, there is usually one or two white people on routes like Woodward, Michigan Avenue, Conant, Van Dyke, etc. Very few professionals with business attire use the DDOT buses, though, so if you are dressed as such, you might stick out. If you dress casual, you should have no problem at all.

Where you would wait for the DDOT Fort Street bus into downtown is right at the border of Detroit and Lincoln Park [[corner of Outer Drive and Fort). That intersection appears to be okay, but my definitiion of sketchy might be different from your definition. The Jefferson/Fort bus is reasonably reliable from my limited experience with that bus route. The bus only comes like once every 30 minutes on weekdays.

If you want to arrive anywhere in a 'timely' manner! Yes, repair or replace YOUR car!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-04-15 at 08:50 PM.

[I ususally ride the SMART 510 but every other week I have to get on the DDOT van dyke never had no problems, usually when I take it its usually seniors and moms with their little kids., i haveto get off at 8 mile but its ok wouldnt want to do it at dark though

I ride DDOT. There are passengers wh are disrespectful and highly unruly. Keep your cellphone on vibrate and in your pocket and don't let anyone use it when asked. When you hear someone talking loud to another person ir on is cell don't look longely at him for that will cause you a cursing. Don't wear anything expensive such as watches or other jewelry. try to avoid get on the bus with a lot of school kids. On another note ; DDOT is beginning to show improvement in decreasing wait time on Gratioit and responding to complaints in a timely manner. The director is trying to improve the system though Gary Brown, chief financial officer, try to keep money from the system

stasu1213..you have given the OP at least a dozen reasons why he should get his car fixed or buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerEastsider View Post
    stasu1213..you have given the OP at least a dozen reasons why he should get his car fixed or buy one.
    You must've ignored this...

You must've ignored this...
    Perhaps...

I ride the Jefferson bus all the time, in lieu of driving, and parking, downtown. Even *gasp* at night. And occasionally the Woodward, Michigan, and Dexter buses too. Other than a couple of rowdy [[but non-threatening) passengers, I've never had any problems.

I am an advocate for public transportation and not meaning to discourage anyone from catching DDOT. I am just showing the blogger how to be street smart while riding the bus. I had seen many things on the bus and just wanted to show how to avoid some things. I leave my car at home and use public transportation. DDOT is getting better but there are things to be aware of.

When I've been in Detroit I have only rode on a few routes on DDOT and never gone too far away from downtown on the bus but I would think it's pretty similar to waiting for a bus in Chicago, especially a Southside route like route 79 which is probably the roughest route in the entire system going through some very violent crime ridden neighborhoods along 79th Street.

If your going to be waiting on the bus during the day I don't think there would be too much trouble if your just waiting for the bus but I probably wouldn't wait for the bus in an outer neighborhood after dark. I know DDOT runs extremely late constantly so you might be waiting there for an hour or two before the bus comes.

I ride the buses whenever I need to get somewhere. I agree with many of the comments concerning DDOT. I always allow extra time to get where I’m going, I also transfer to SMART buses as well. I’ve never seen a problem on any line, I am a morning/daytime person.

Yes, you have to approach riding public transpo [[DDOT and Smart) requires some adaptation. You must be aware of your surroundings, yet be able to tune-out a great deal of nonsense depending on what bus 'line' you're riding. That's an acquired skill for some.

Bus riding is a public scene and if you're squeamish about intense profanity and loud mobile phone talking, etc. don't ride. The times I have to ride recently, I wear black dollar-store headphones to music to tune out once I am on board.

But you still need to be tuned in enough to know what is going on around you. Daytime riding has less drama. Most people are just trying to get where they need to go!

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I am an advocate for public transportation and not meaning to discourage anyone from catching DDOT. I am just showing the blogger how to be street smart while riding the bus. I had seen many things on the bus and just wanted to show how to avoid some things. I leave my car at home and use public transportation. DDOT is getting better but there are things to be aware of.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-05-15 at 12:28 PM.

Cool! Send him my way so I can keep my car running!