Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Windsor is the Canada's hottest real estate play

I have often thought Windsor is the ideal bargain place to live in Detroit. Beyond it own terrific options, it offers dramatic skyline views, and a short hop to major league sports, world class art and cultural institutions. I always recommend Windsor as an option for people who ask me for Metro-Detroit relocation advice.

The National Post agrees in this absolutely gushing thumbs-up "Sneer all you want, Vancouver and Toronto: Windsor, Ontario’s recession ravaged rust-belt city is turning into the country’s hottest real estate play" directed toward the inflated real estate markets of Vancouver and Toronto. Interestingly the article does not even touch on the selling points of its 'big city' assets across the river or that one is even in view [for a while at least] of the home of one of hockey's most legendary teams.

Were I younger and looking to relocate to Detroit, I would look long and hard at Windsor, particularly now with Canadian loonie at around 77 cents to USD.

Absolutely if you have dual citizenship. I know quite a few that do. Why a lot of them stay state side I don't know why.

Well I ain't really asked them, I figured they would bring it up. If not, ehhhh.

The National Post also said this...

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...ting-to-happen

I have always thought Windsor had a lot going for it in terms of the combination of small city next to big city amenities. On the other hand the downtown, like many small cities, has really deteriorated and every small town in southern Ontario has lost its factories and is pitching itself as a retirement destination to those in metro Toronto. Like Detroit, Windsor desperately needs to diversity its economy before people move there to buy and raise a family.

For Canadians who want the big city urban experience I can only think of four choices. Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver and Windsor. Quebec city, IMO the most beautiful city in North America, is close but no quite big enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    The National Post also said this...

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...ting-to-happen

The most interesting and illuminating part of that article are the comments.... mostly well stated.... wow.... the money coming in for laundering from Asia must be staggering...

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I have always thought Windsor had a lot going for it in terms of the combination of small city next to big city amenities. On the other hand the downtown, like many small cities, has really deteriorated and every small town in southern Ontario has lost its factories and is pitching itself as a retirement destination to those in metro Toronto. Like Detroit, Windsor desperately needs to diversity its economy before people move there to buy and raise a family.
    It has. When was the last time you were in Windsor? Downtown Windsor is improving significantly as a lot of money is being invested by the government moving various University of Windsor and St. Clair College departments downtown plus there are several private colleges operating in downtown. The St. Clair College Mediaplex with the school of Journalism is in downtown now. The St. Clair drama and several other departments have moved downtown into the Cleary Centre. The Windsor Star building, the Armouries and the Capitol were given to the University of Windsor for the Faculty of Social Work and several other faculties.

Just today, the Windsor Star announced that the City of Windsor bought the Paul Martin Building for $1 plus received $6m for the facade repair from the Federal government so the city can give it to the University of Windsor to move the faculty of law downtown with another 600 students. http://blogs.windsorstar.com/opinion...-given-to-city

Several small craft breweries have opened up in downtown too. Also, in the past week, Skyline bought 1,658 rental units in Windsor [[12% of Windsor's rental properties) for $136m. That's $80,600 per unit [[way way way up from per unit sales a couple years ago). A lot of Skyline REIT properties are in downtown. The rental vacancy rate is down to 4% now. http://blogs.windsorstar.com/busines...tal-properties

Come down and have a look at all the $370K+ houses being built off Dominion now. Residential building permits have doubled in the past two quarters over last year.

The City of Windsor also has the lowest per capita debt for a large city in Ontario in addition to offering no property taxes for the first 10 years for any new commerical/industrial building built in the city.

Windsor really is one of the hottest real estate plays in Canada right now.
    Last edited by davewindsor; August-01-15 at 05:24 PM.

I was in Windsor last month. There are still a lot of empty storefronts. I grew up near Brantford, another city where they are trying to revive the downtown with Laurier University and Conestoga College satellite campuses. I just don't think there is much in the way of new business investment in Windsor.

I was in Windsor last month. There are still a lot of empty storefronts. I grew up near Brantford, another city where they are trying to revive the downtown with Laurier University and Conestoga College satellite campuses. I just don't think there is much in the way of new business investment in Windsor.
    I hear a second span is going up next to the Ambassador Bridge. That should bring in some traffic.

The rise of downtown Detroit and overall rapid improvement of its image can't hurt Windsor's prospects either. "A rising tide lifts all ships." In my years, this is the best of times since the 1960's. Sure we're not anywhere near where we need to be and large areas of our residential neighborhoods on both sides of the border are wanting. But the direction has changed and the momentum is gaining. It's great to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    For Canadians who want the big city urban experience I can only think of four choices. Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver and Windsor. Quebec city, IMO the most beautiful city in North America, is close but no quite big enough.
    Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver....and Windsor? Am I reading this right? Windsor is a fine town but not sure it fits the big city urban experience.

Windsor has the "big city, urban experience"? I would say you are using a very, very generous standard for "big city" and "urban". Windsor isn't even Toledo or Grand Rapids. Downtown Windsor feels empty and depressed.

And you seriously think Windsor is more "big city" and "urban" than Calgary, Ottawa, Hamilton, Edmonton, Winnipeg?

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Windsor has the "big city, urban experience"? I would say you are using a very, very generous standard for "big city" and "urban". Windsor isn't even Toledo or Grand Rapids. Downtown Windsor feels empty and depressed.

And you seriously think Windsor is more "big city" and "urban" than Calgary, Ottawa, Hamilton, Edmonton, Winnipeg?
    I think what Lowell is suggesting is that you can experience the big city the same way any suburban Detroiter can. In other words you can take advantage of all the amenities-big league sports, concerts, museums, theater, etc. It isn't the same as living the "urban experience" any more than most suburbs are.

95% of the storefronts along Ouellette Ave [[main street downtown) from the Riverfront to Wyandotte St is occupied. I don't know what this "still a lot of empty storefronts" is you speak of. It doesn't sound like you were in downtown a month ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

I don't feel empty and depressed in downtown Windsor. Maybe it's just you.

He never said it was "more" big city and urban. He just said it was in that category.

And yes, it's in that category for Canada and Ontario. Canada is a tenth the size of the US in terms of population. Please don't compare the size of US cities to Canada. Canada will never have a city that comes close to the population of New York City. A big city in Canada is a small city in the US comparatively speaking.
    Last edited by davewindsor; August-03-15 at 05:48 PM.

I think what Lowell is suggesting is that you can experience the big city the same way any suburban Detroiter can. In other words you can take advantage of all the amenities-big league sports, concerts, museums, theater, etc. It isn't the same as living the "urban experience" any more than most suburbs are.
    Thank you for explaining what I assumed would be the obvious. Windsor is far closer to downtown Detroit than any suburb. It also offers a great tunnel bus service. If it weren't for the border Windsor would be considered as part of downtown.

Thank you for explaining what I assumed would be the obvious. Windsor is far closer to downtown Detroit than any suburb. It also offers a great tunnel bus service. If it weren't for the border Windsor would be considered as part of downtown.
    Ah I think I get it now. You consider living in Windsor as basically living in Detroit and you consider Detroit a big city experience. It depends on how you look at things I guess.