Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default A Visit to Windsor's 'Morounville'

In the shadow of the Ambassador Bridge in Windsor lie the controversial and doomed houses of 'Morounville'. The properties along the east side of Indian street have been acquired for future demolition by the Ambassador Bridge company, owned by the American Moroun family, to make way for a hoped-for new bridge crossing of the Detroit River.

The steeple of Our Lady of the Assumption can be seen behind this abandoned beauty.

The Ambassador Bridge company has already built the Windsor side footing.

Drive 'Morounville' along Indian Street on Google Street View.

Sweet pictures Lowell.

All the grass is neatly cut. They don't seem to have the infrastructure locusts that we have on our side.

Shame on the Maroun family for killing neighborhoods for their own selfish interests. I hope they all get locked up, assets seized, and their companies shut down. It's absolutely insane that any one family privately own an international crossing. And their lack of care for their properties in Detroit and Windsor is stifling our economy and opportunity for growth, and plaguing the landscape with blight.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    Shame on the Maroun family for killing neighborhoods for their own selfish interests.
    Shame on Dug-In and the City Clowncil for contributing ammo for the kill.

Shame on the Maroun family for killing neighborhoods for their own selfish interests. I hope they all get locked up, assets seized, and their companies shut down. It's absolutely insane that any one family privately own an international crossing. And their lack of care for their properties in Detroit and Windsor is stifling our economy and opportunity for growth, and plaguing the landscape with blight.
    Shame on the City for neglecting its own neighborhoods. Its assets should have been seized long ago. If you don't like what Maroun is doing, purchase the property and preserve it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Shame on the City for neglecting its own neighborhoods. Its assets should have been seized long ago. If you don't like what Maroun is doing, purchase the property and preserve it yourself.
    You can't buy property from someone who isn't selling it.

When/how did Windsor approve the footings?

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    That's what I want to know? Honestly I wonder if there is still any hope for him. I sure as hell hope not.

Probably the same way the State of MI approved the construction of the on ramp for the second span or the COD approved the illegal wiring that contaminated Riverside Park. You don't give a shithead like Maroun the tools he needs to finish the job. Besides, if Cushionberry's for it, it's got to be good.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; August-02-15 at 03:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    You can't buy property from someone who isn't selling it.
    You can buy anything for the right money.

or the right payoff to a few corrupt, short sighted politicians...

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    or the right payoff to a few corrupt, short sighted politicians...
    I'm guessing the property went pretty cheap and I seriously doubt anyone gave a shit.

It's absolutely insane that any one family privately own an international crossing.
    It was built by a private entity. It went up for sale and the State of Michigan, and the City of Detroit both passed. That's the insane part.

This is why our governments should NOT cooperate in any with with Moroun. He's going to do what he wants no matter what.

If he wanted to be a good business person while still going toward his goals of building the bridge he would fix up and rent all those houses out. It even makes sense from a money perspective to have the properties generating revenues.

Letting this neighborhood decline is in Moroun's best interest, because he can point to it and say, "You're trying to save that blighted street?" Nevermind the fact that MOROUN is the one that created the blight!

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    This is why our governments should NOT cooperate in any with with Moroun. He's going to do what he wants no matter what.

If he wanted to be a good business person while still going toward his goals of building the bridge he would fix up and rent all those houses out. It even makes sense from a money perspective to have the properties generating revenues.

Letting this neighborhood decline is in Moroun's best interest, because he can point to it and say, "You're trying to save that blighted street?" Nevermind the fact that MOROUN is the one that created the blight!
    Maroun created the blight? Lmfao

Youbetcha:

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/news/ho...bridge-company

http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/ne...9-834fcadbb86f

Sure. It still has to be up for sale though. And there's no reason for Maroun to sell these properties because then it creates an obstacle to his interests [[the bridge).

LMFAO ROFLCOPTER!

"MOROUN CREATED BLIGHT!?!? HAHA!! All he did was purchase every house on one side of the street and board them all up. What's wrong with boarded up houses?"

One moment, let me get my special kneepads I use when billionaires are around.

Actually I did do that, I bought a handful of properties and lots on the east side that I am currently rehabbing and cleaning up, planting gardens, and opening retail [[and I live in one too)... I am not a billionaire or even a millionaire! But I do think small improvements go a long way, and if I can do some small improvements in the city, then Maroun should be able to do a great deal of improvements too... Instead the opposite is happening, just look at these photos, and this was a stable neighborhood and a far cry from Detroit's neighborhoods, and now it's looking like Detroit there.... I wish Maroun would sell some of his properties, I'd be the first one lining up if the price was right. Problem is he will NEVER sell his property and if he does it will be for millions, or far beyond what it's realistically worth.
    Last edited by Gsgeorge; August-02-15 at 02:05 PM. Reason: words

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    LMFAO ROFLCOPTER!

"MOROUN CREATED BLIGHT!?!? HAHA!! All he did was purchase every house on one side of the street and board them all up. What's wrong with boarded up houses?"

One moment, let me get my special kneepads I use when billionaires are around.
    You're right, those boarded houses look terrible but the abandoned DPS buildings and other neighborhood structures look awesome. Carry on

Yup. http://blogs.windsorstar.com/news/yo...he-billionaire

The homes were maintained and rented for awhile but Moroun eventually kicked all the renters out and let them rot.

I don't believe they ever did. The footings and new approach have been around for almost a decade. Most of the land was previously used as U of Windsor parking. There's six new truck inspection booths at the end that the CBSA has never agreed to man.

I'm so fed up with folks dumping on Moroun. All the guy is doing is trying to make a buck.
    Leave him alone to do as he pleases. A little planned obsolescence never hurt nobody.

Matty's prolly out trying to find the cheapest installation price for new windows like he did at MCS. Chances are, he'll have them put up in two to three years time.

You're right, those boarded houses look terrible but the abandoned DPS buildings and other neighborhood structures look awesome. Carry on
    What do the boarded up DPS buildings have to do with the homes that Matty bought and boarded up in Windsor?

Are you saying that what Matty did in Windsor is OK? That you don't have any issues with him buying up one side of the street and just boarding it up instead of at least trying to rent out the houses until he gets approval to build the bridge that he's never going to get approval for?

Are the politicians in Windsor the same as Detroit MO......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast