Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Muslim group/Duggan attempting to repopulate neighborhood around Lodge/Davidson.

Combined with Focus Hope's efforts to turn attention to the surrounding neighborhood hopefully something comes out of this.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...hood/30020759/

Yeah right! Same plan when Detroit's Chinatown, Chaldean town and Asian town wants to be re-developed, that failed.

If fewer Muslims from any nationality wants to re-redevelop around the area in Detroit's West Side that its loaded with poor blighted neighborhoods, lack of businesses, violent street crime, crazy folks, poor schools, lack of police response and filled with 90% low-income welfare and food stamp pacified black people. Be my guest. I don't mean to offend is this ideal. But new upcoming Muslim community is going to have get along with the urban mess in the west side since 1967. Otherwise we could have a sudden racial conflict like the folks living in Crown Heights section of Brooklyn, N.Y.C.

I would say to them GOOD LUCK!!!!
    Last edited by Danny; July-30-15 at 09:45 PM.

I'm not sure what would make immigrants find that section of Detroit more appealing than Hamtramck or Dearborn. Unless they're Muslim Hipsters. Or Muslim businessmen looking to cash in on cheap real estate. For the typical working-class Muslim, I dunno.

Business district Woodrow Wilson St. from Davison Rd. to Elmhurst St. has been a urban desert since the building the Lodge FWY. How his Mr. Waseem Ullah is going to lure more his friends into that blighted crime laden section in Detroit's West Side? Not that far from the crackhead section of Highland Park. Any ethnic community that were establishing in any neighborhood starts with families and more groups of families with a near-by industrial job base. It worked with Yemeni and Bangladeshi Muslims setting up shop their building their homestead in the borders of Detroit and Hamtramck. I hope this new "Little Pakistan" is going to work. When ethnic families come to American cities to a better life, they need a community that they can be safe.

A substantial group of people moving to a limited area together can make a big difference. Of course, the problem is actually getting people to do that. It will be interesting to see what becomes of this. Getting families with school age children to move to Detroit is going to be a problem. It might be possible to set up some kind of culturally-apropos charter that was especially attractive to the community, but people would probably need to believe in it before it actually exists, which isn't the easiest sell.

we need a sit down halal restaurant[[s) in that area. there is an abandoned former Subway along the Davison strip. There is also a huge pink beauty supply store that is half-demolished/falling apart, nobody is doing anything with it yet. [[Dangerous!) It could be cleared away and a new restaurant built in its place.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    I'm not sure what would make immigrants find that section of Detroit more appealing than Hamtramck or Dearborn. Unless they're Muslim Hipsters. Or Muslim businessmen looking to cash in on cheap real estate. For the typical working-class Muslim, I dunno.
    I assume that the proximity of the Muslim Center is what they are banking on. It will be interesting to see if something really comes of this.

A Muslim Credit Union can be started up, [[but anyone can join); provide an alternative to the check cashing/cash advance places.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    I assume that the proximity of the Muslim Center is what they are banking on. It will be interesting to see if something really comes of this.
    If that's the case, I think they'd have a better chance rebooting the area around 7 Mile and John R. At least that strip of 7 Mile still has some businesses [[including a community center) and new housing nearby. But hey, if Woodrow Wilson works out, more power to them.