Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Karpinski's Torn Down

What a cool landmark I always enjoyed looking at despite it being blighted. Just knew some cool stories and people probably hung out there and it being an important watering hole for the local factory workers. The tear down came as quite a surprise.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...oit-demolished

Anyone have any memories?

"It’s kind of different to sell a vacant lot than a lot with a building that has been vandalized to that extent,” he said.

OK.

I like the fact it was sitting vacant since 1999 [[15 years) and they're shocked it hasn't maintained it's glory/was stripped. Fools. Glad it's gone.

That thing's been vacant well before 99. I moved to Hamt in 91 in I'm pretty sure it had just gone out of business. I believe a strip-club was interested in the building around 2000 but the church accross the street had a say in that, so the city wouldn't grant a variance.
    Last edited by Hamtragedy; July-29-15 at 05:18 PM.

^^I worked nearby in 94 and remember going there will fellow workers.

I used to go to Karpinskis for lunch many times with Mr. Barney Krajenke when I was the parts manager at Krajenke Buick back in the day. The people from GM that called on the dealership at that time really liked to go there for lunch. Many times I remember the parking lot so full it was hard to find a parking space and when you got in there was a wait for a table. They served one of the best steak sandwiches in town. Great memories !