Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Interview of Anthony Fierimonte, retired DPD, on the '67 Riot

This 50-minute interview by retired Commander Anthony Fierimonte, who was one of the crew that made the initial raid of the blind pig at 12th and Clairmont, certainly gives excellent insight into that night, 48 years back. I strongly recommend it for anyone with a deep interest into that affair. Well done.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTTGZjZmPYg

Indeed. Sounds like a very nice straightforward guy. Good job Ray.

I finally got a chance to watch it. Great narrative and perspectives, straight from the horses mouth, so to speak. Thanx for posting this.

"And the comedy part was when he threw the antique spear at me."

priceless

Ray, thank you for posting this. After reading HT's recommendation of it I thought I'd watch for several minutes. Well, ~50 minutes later I was still watching. It has given me a new perspective on the riot and it's aftermath.

DetroitBoy Guest

Ray, thank you for posting this. It was a very good interview. I do wonder what his relationship would be with the community today if he was on the job with the overall increase in high power weapons and drugs on the street. I think it would be a very different story. I do find it interesting when he said the police and national guard could not contain the rioting and it was only when the army rolled in tanks and laid down the law did everything stop. I believe the city is at that point today with the level of crime. Having a tank blow away a steeple or a fleeing vehicle or a crack house or two might be what is needed to fight these urban terrorists and demonstrate their actions will not be tolerated. These twenty-something[[or younger) hoodlums have grown up with little fear or respect for the law, other people and human life. Deploying tanks in some of the worst crime ridden areas might be the shortest path to having a major reduction in crime and making a clear statement that they do not own these neighborhoods.

Jade Helm exercises are deployed in Texas and other Southern states. It seems extreme but it might be an option to consider.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...s-no-big-deal/
    Last edited by DetroitBoy; July-28-15 at 06:22 AM.

I watched this last night and found it interesting and entertaining. In fact, I was glued to it. Thank you, Ray, for sharing this.

loved it too! gave me a better sense of what the riot starting line looked like.