Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default North Carolina teen’s letter to Detroit goes viral

From the recent Evangelical Lutheran Church of America event in the D [[which included garbage clean-ups in some of cities most blighted areas) a young teen blog-posted her thoughts about Detroit:

Dear Detroit,

My name is Cassie and I'm from a small town in North Carolina, where our largest building is Wal-Mart. I have always wanted to experience life in a big city, and you did not disappoint, but rather exceeded my expectations. You see, I was expecting a city filled with broken dreams and shattered glass, a city devoid of life and hope. I expected a scene of desolation against the backdrop of a dead city.

But you are not dead. You are so very much alive. You destroyed all of my preconceptions the minute I set foot on your gorgeous riverwalk and was exposed to the cultural diversity and breathtaking views you offered me. I saw the opposite of what I expected; I saw bike riders and people reading books and children playing in the fountain. I saw so much life, even after mere minutes of being there. And that first night, my group ventured into Greektown, and Monroe became my favorite street in all of a minute. It was still daylight out, but the criss-crossing lights that hung above the street had me hooked at first glance. I was entertained and enamored by your people, your mannerisms, and your atmosphere. [[Not to mention the food, which is absolutely delectable).

Over the week, I saw your bad side. [[the area around 8-mile road was pretty sketchy). I saw your homeless, your penniless, your dirty and your somewhat terrifying drunk Tigers fans. I saw your houses adorned with neon yellow signs that read, "Will Demolish". But I also saw your beauty. I saw your culture.........

http://cassiesrandommusings.blogspot...nal-youth.html

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...iral/30644385/
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-26-15 at 11:06 AM.

Drats. I did a search to see if something has already been posted but found nothing. I must have omitted a keyword. Well, the more the merrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Drats. I did a search to see if something has already been posted but found nothing. I must have omitted a keyword. Well, the more the merrier.
    Your title was more clearly descriptive, if that helps. I do appreciate your links to current stories though, Zacha341. Too many stories fly under our radar.

Cool, thanks J. I find your posts and links of interest as well........

Dear Cassie,

The Spirit of Detroit thank you for your kind words and for volunteering of cleaning up our once proud streets. I hope your enjoy my courts. Please come back soon to my city. Hopefully one day you and your family and friends can make the Motor City your permanent home.