Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Could the Feds new rules be the salvation of Detroit?

Could the Feds new rules be the salvation of Detroit by eliminating the boundaries between suburbia and inner cities?

This has gotten the attention of a few folks...

http://nlihc.org/issues/affh

Now for every action there is an equal
    opposite reaction...

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/...n_bans_se.html
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; July-26-15 at 04:20 AM.

Most of the inner ring suburbs already are like Detroit. Over run with rental properties not cared for, crime. My neighborhood where I live and grew up were all single family homes. A short block with only 8 homes. 2 are now rentals. One was rented with no inspections and no heat. The tenants were only there for 2 weeks before the 1st call to police to break up a domestic disturbance. The first thing saved when they moved was the big screen TV. The kids were left until the 2nd trip. The other was rented to a woman who invited a motorcycle club to move in with her. A bar opened with new owners a block away catering to SW Detroit music and customs, it was only open for 1 day before a drive-by shooting happened. Nothing like this happened in the 60+ years the bar was in operation. I don't care who my neighbors are as long as they are reasonably quiet and take care of their property. My question is does someone have the right to turn a neighborhood upside down with a lifestyle that encourages violence and disrespect for others ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Could the Feds new rules be the salvation of Detroit by eliminating the boundaries between suburbia and inner cities?

No. And they don't "eliminat[e] the boundaries between suburbia and inner cities." Maybe, in the best possible world, they will reduce economic segregation a little.

Now for every action the is an equal
    opposite reaction...

This plan was pretty obviously not a reaction to the new guidelines, and this type of restriction is already pretty common in various parts of the country--it was apparently first of its kind in Ypsi. But your underlying idea is correct--there will be reactions whenever people think that they have to protect their neighborhoods from encroachment by people they think they don't like.

DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lpg View Post
    Most of the inner ring suburbs already are like Detroit. Over run with rental properties not cared for, crime. My neighborhood where I live and grew up were all single family homes. A short block with only 8 homes. 2 are now rentals. One was rented with no inspections and no heat. The tenants were only there for 2 weeks before the 1st call to police to break up a domestic disturbance. The first thing saved when they moved was the big screen TV. The kids were left until the 2nd trip. The other was rented to a woman who invited a motorcycle club to move in with her. A bar opened with new owners a block away catering to SW Detroit music and customs, it was only open for 1 day before a drive-by shooting happened. Nothing like this happened in the 60+ years the bar was in operation. I don't care who my neighbors are as long as they are reasonably quiet and take care of their property. My question is does someone have the right to turn a neighborhood upside down with a lifestyle that encourages violence and disrespect for others ?
    You're correct. Most of the inner ring suburbs have taken on the ghetto influences of Detroit. Look at what has happened in Harper and Grosse Pointe Woods. The schools are filled with renters that has resulted in the dumbing down of the classes and multiple disturbances requiring police intervention to break up fighting. GPW even had to cancel their fireworks because this family tradition was overrun by hoodlums causing an out of control disturbance. Eastland Mall has been trashed to the extent no one will shop there and it will be shut down like what happened at Northland due to the gang violence and out of control crime.

What kind of salvation are you looking for with these new laws for the city of Detroit? One that makes the suburbs as awful as the worst neighborhoods in the city?

Blockbusting 101. Offer Low Income housing in a middle income neighborhood. Publicize it well. Get ready to buy cheap houses.

Good paying J-O-B-S will be Detroit's only salvation.

Since those don't seem to be coming, the chips will just continue to fall where they may...

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Blockbusting 101. Offer Low Income housing in a middle income neighborhood. Publicize it well. Get ready to buy cheap houses.
    When interviewed the director of HUD was asked if this was not a form of social engineering,his reply was no because the cities are not being forced to comply.

The next question was if HUD withholding millions in funding if they do not comply is that not forcing them to comply?

His answer was No.

I guess it becomes simple,if you live in a all white neighborhood,draw straws,50% will need to be making moving plans,if you live in a all black neighborhood draw straws because 50% of you will also need to be making moving arrangements.

I am not sure how many cities could afford to lose millions in funding per year,and they will figure a way out to encourage you to relocate to protect those funds.

313WX nails it,if they spend the same amount on job creation and education the other issues will not be such an issue.

But it is always a small percentage that ruins it or paints everybody in the same picture which makes it worse.

I've lived a few places and haven't ever seen such sour attitudes towards renters as I do in Metro Detroit. It's unfortunate but some renters are better neighbors than owners and some of us either don't want the issues associated with home ownership at the moment or don't feel confident enough in the market to buy. Anyway, I have found it to be true that the healthier the region the less stigma against renting.

Since living in Chicago, I've noticed that the stable, crime-free neighborhoods are home ownership. On the south side, there are a lot of rentals as stated above and you have a lot of instability, poverty, crime, etc.

It does make a difference. If blocks of homes in Detroit have HOAs and block clubs, then they come together and support the efforts to keep the block[[s) whole.

Has this sort of socio-economic engineering *ever* worked? Seems like everywhere it's tried - St. Louis, Baltimore, Los Angeles, you end up with even worse economic divisions and devastated neighborhoods.

Yes. I agree and there needs to be a strong emphasis upon young people to embrace good social behaviors [[a minimal requirement for most jobs). This world view mostly coming from parents [[or parent) who instill values and education. As it stands now we have some seeking basic employment who cannot pass a standard drug or aptitude test. Or you have those who have given up on trying to work. The hopelessness mentality must be challenged.

And I doubt this kind of thing can be socially engineered, per se. It's about values.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Good paying J-O-B-S will be Detroit's only salvation.

Since those don't seem to be coming, the chips will just continue to fall where they may...
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-26-15 at 12:44 PM.

That's a point. I've rented and know others who do. Especially as many older homes have been sub-divided to accommodate multiple families as single housing stock has changed. Not to mention the large amount of two family flats were often the owner lives on premises -- having a renter in one unit. I think it is the kind of renter and where their head-set is, IS KEY. You need to do a background check and take care that who you allow into your properties.

Quote Originally Posted by TTime View Post
    I've lived a few places and haven't ever seen such sour attitudes towards renters as I do in Metro Detroit. It's unfortunate but some renters are better neighbors than owners and some of us either don't want the issues associated with home ownership at the moment or don't feel confident enough in the market to buy. Anyway, I have found it to be true that the healthier the region the less stigma against renting.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    Eastland Mall has been trashed to the extent no one will shop there and it will be shut down like what happened at Northland due to the gang violence and out of control crime.

malls are failing because they are 90% full of expensive clothing stores for women.

Hah! That too may be a contributing factor! But Macy's, Sears and JCPenney do have a mens departmen you know? Along with a few mens stores including K&G!
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-26-15 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TTime View Post
    Wife and I rented a house for 10 years before buying our first home. We took care of it even though the landlord refused to fix anything. When our daughter was born in the winter of 1979, the furnace quit on a Saturday night. I called the landlord and he said wait till Monday as the repairman charges more on the weekends. Our mayor lived behind a rental property that was a party house. He contacted the landlord who lived out of state. The landlord stated that as long as the rent checks cleared it was not his problem. When they moved they left behind about $25,000 in damages. So both sides contribute to the problem.

It will be nice when this clown is out of office and we can have America back.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    It will be nice when this clown is out of office and we can have America back.

yeah but don't hold your breath. The election already looks like a circus.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    yeah but don't hold your breath. The election already looks like a circus.
    Elephants and Donkeys ridden by clowns....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post

Now for every action there is an equal
    opposite reaction...

All pure bullshit. I should've known better than to read either one.

Here's the tool that HUD is gonna use to evaluate economic/racial segregation. Just head to Detroit and browse around. http://egis.hud.gov/affht_pt/

I have to agree with you. Most of Downriver ain't what it used to be any more. Just look at what happened recently...

Too many bike thefts. A lot more robberies. A series of high-speed chases in Wyandotte. The Trenton fireworks, marred by a woman who was so angry after an argument with her boyfriend that she went and threw marijuana around a car. A drunk woman goes and tears up her own home. There was even a standoff in Trenton that resulted in police killing the agitator after he fended him off with a lawn mower blade.

Taylor, in particular, has gotten so bad that some situations have actually turned into small riots. Remember that 50-person fight at that coney island?

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    I have to agree with you. Most of Downriver ain't what it used to be any more. Just look at what happened recently...

Too many bike thefts. A lot more robberies. A series of high-speed chases in Wyandotte. The Trenton fireworks, marred by a woman who was so angry after an argument with her boyfriend that she went and threw marijuana around a car. A drunk woman goes and tears up her own home. There was even a standoff in Trenton that resulted in police killing the agitator after he fended him off with a lawn mower blade.

Taylor, in particular, has gotten so bad that some situations have actually turned into small riots. Remember that 50-person fight at that coney island?
    Yup...In January I was almost taken out by the grandma who was running from the LP police with her 2 grandkids after shoplifting at the LP Meijer. Saw my Blazer on the police dash cam video when it was played in it's entirety. Just 2 weeks ago I stopped a guy from stealing my neighbors bike off my porch.

Yup...In January I was almost taken out by the grandma who was running from the LP police with her 2 grandkids after shoplifting at the LP Meijer. Saw my Blazer on the police dash cam video when it was played in it's entirety. Just 2 weeks ago I stopped a guy from stealing my neighbors bike off my porch.
    If you guys are comparing a bicycle theft and an occasional police chase to the news from Detroit every morning...hmmmmm

That chase crossed over into Wyandotte, actually.

Speaking of Wyandotte police chases-well, the latest one actually entered Detroit.

Ooh...it's not even safe to be a repo man any more...
    http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2015/07/...an-in-custody/
    Last edited by mtburb; July-30-15 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    If you guys are comparing a bicycle theft and an occasional police chase to the news from Detroit every morning...hmmmmm
    No, the point is the suburbs are getting to be like Detroit. You hear things on a scanner here that don't make the news. Like I stated above I live in the house I grew up in, I have a front row seat to the changes. I hope it never get to be like the morning news in Detroit.