Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Chuck Hughes, revisited

It has been several years since I posted here. In about 2006-'07, I began researching what I expected would be the biography of former Detroit Lions' receiver Chuck Hughes. Unfortunately, around 2008, I ran out of money and had to go back to work and my project on Chuck sat dormant during most of that time.

The good news is, about six months ago, I was able to work some things around in my "professional" life [[if you want to call it that) to make the time necessary to once again rededicate myself to the Hughes project. I *hope* to have my manuscript completed by the end of this year - or early next spring. A date for publication will obviously be dependent on any number of variables.

All that being said, I am hoping someone who frequents this *very* cool site can help me track down information on former Lions' team doctor Richard A. Thompson. As some of you may remember, Doc Thompson - who had a office in Highland Park for years - began working with the Lions at the dawn of the Buddy Parker era - and is believed to be the first physician in professional sports to actually go on the road with the team he served. In the late 1960s, Henry Ford Hospital osteopathic surgeon Dr. Edwin R. Guise, Jr., joined the club.

What I am trying to figure out is Doc Thompson's age the day Chuck Hughes died - October 24, 1971. Based on some rather vague information I received from one of Doc Thompson's surviving children, he passed away in about 1985 when he was in his mid-80s. That would make him, approximately, 67-70 when Chuck passed. That should be good enough, but I tend to obsess about details like that.

So, is there ANYONE out there who can provide more information about Doc Thompson and his age when he passed?

Also ... is there anyone who can fill in the blanks in regards to Doc Guise's career *before* he began his tenure at Henry Ford during the '60s? I think he was actually a native of Massachusetts. I know he was 44 the day Chuck Hughes died and left Detroit for the University of Southern California in about 1989 or '90. Dr. Guise died in 1994 at the age of 66.

Anyway ... my thanks to everyone who helped me out with his project those [[now) many years ago. I know I need to get moving on it and get it done. Long overdue. At least three of the former Lions I interviewed for the book on Hughes have since passed - Bob Kowalkowski in 2009; Errol Mann in 2013; and, of course, Charlie Sanders just a few weeks back.

Jeff
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Hi Jeff. Glad to see that you are moving forward with this project once again!

From the 1940 US Census:

Name: Richard Thompson
    Estimated birth year: abt 1909
    Race: White
    Birthplace: Michigan
    Marital Status: Married
    Relation to Head of House: Head
    Home in 1940: Highland Park, Wayne, Michigan
    Map of Home in 1940: View Map
    Street: Winona
    House Number: 39
    Inferred Residence in 1935: Highland Park, Wayne, Michigan
    Residence in 1935: Same Place
    Sheet Number: 12A
    Number of Household in Order of Visitation: 282

Name:  Thompson_Dr_Detroit_Lions_1940.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  19.8 KB
    Last edited by Mikeg; July-23-15 at 11:21 AM.

Mike ... thank you for sharing this with me! Has to be *THE* Richard Thompson. The 1909 estimated birth is a little surprising - would have made him approximately 43 when he began working with the Lions in '52. And 62-ish the day Chuck died.

While searching for information on Doc Thompson last night, I ran across something that had been hiding from me in plain sight. I may have made contact with an individual who worked with Doc Thompson during his career. He's still at D.O. in the Detroit area. Made contact with his nurse today and am expecting a call-back tomorrow.

Also ... have been able to locate Dr. Guise's son. Am expecting to touch base with him yet this week or early next. And, have a call into the library arm of the Henry Ford Health System.

But ... but ... if anyone has any other information, I would be so thankful. I check-back everyday. My continued thanks - to Kathleen and MikeG!

Here are links to microfilmed images of the documents.

1930 US Census:
    Richard A. Thompson [[line 3)
    Harry B. Thompson [[line 100)

Marriage License [[issued on July 15, 1936 in Wayne Co., MI)
    Richard A. Thompson and Mary H. Young [[married on Aug. 15, 1936 in Battle Creek, MI)

1940 US Census:
    Richard A. Thompson [[line 19)

This might help, it's the Social Security Death Index results for Richard A Thompson in Michigan born around 1904 died around 1985.

s 1–5 of 5

View Record Name Birth Date Death Date Last Residence
    [[City,County,State)
    Order Record
    View Record Richard Thompson 18 Aug 1914 Sep 1984 48906 Lansing, Ingham, Michigan, USA
    View Record Richard Thompson 21 Apr 1904 Dec 1986 49738 Grayling, Crawford, Michigan, USA
    View Record A. Thompson 12 Oct 1912 Mar 1987 48310 Sterling Heights, Macomb, Michigan, USA
    View Record Rick Thompson 25 Oct 1904 Jul 1986 48054 East China, Saint Clair, Michigan, USA
    View Record R. KennethThompson 21 Jan 1914 Dec 1984 49017 Battle Creek, Calhoun, Michigan, USA

You folks are AMAZING!

Just got off the phone with a physician who spent 12 years in practice with Dr. Thompson. He told me he's sure Doc Thompson was born in 1909 - which coincides with the stuff posted by Mike G. However, he said Doc passed away in ARIZONA - not Michigan in 1982. Doc Thompson apparently retired in 1972 and moved to the Phoenix area not long after. So, gazhekwe - my apologies for leading you astray. The info is fabulous! Unfortunately, it now appears you went to that trouble because I gave you incorrect information. My apologies, my friend.