Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Public Lighting Authority to Re-Install Alleyway Streetlights

I went down a block here in NE Detroit and noticed every alleyway entrance has a new LED light. These lights and other alleyway lights were originally decommissioned under Bing's plan and Duggan's updated plan [[which was foolish), but a ton of understandable complaints from residents have prompted their return.

At this time, they're only adding lights where the alleyway meets a roadway.

And the City Council is also considering a resolution that would force the Detroit Public Lighting Authority, on an ongoing basis, to monitor streets that have been left too dark and add lights as needed beyond the plan for 65,000 streetlights.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...plan/29800985/

The comment section also features more reasonable complaints.
    Last edited by 313WX; July-22-15 at 04:20 PM.

Last night I was very happy to see the area of my driveway and garage was lit up

like a parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I went down a block here in NE Detroit and noticed every alleyway entrance has a new LED light. These lights and other alleyway lights were originally decommissioned under Bing's plan and Duggan's updated plan [[which was foolish), but a ton of understandable complaints from residents have prompted their return.

At this time, they're only adding lights where the alleyway meets a roadway.

And the City Council is also considering a resolution that would force the Detroit Public Lighting Authority, on an ongoing basis, to monitor streets that have been left too dark and add lights as needed beyond the plan for 65,000 streetlights.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...plan/29800985/

The comment section also features more reasonable complaints.
    Bing decommissioned the lights???

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Bing decommissioned the lights???
    Bing endorsed the plan by a U of M - Dearborn engineer that eliminated alleyway lights. In fact, it was the plan he put forth when convincing the state legislature to approve the Lighting Authority [[a part of the Detroit Works / Detroit Future City / shrinking the city crap he was peddling).

Although Bing has left office, the Lighting Authority is still using the same overall plan, although it has been somewhat expanded by 15,000 lights. Bing's plan also didn't account for a transition to LED lights [[Duggan can be thanked for this). Gary Brownoser was in fact still insisting that we continue to use Mercury lamps.
    Last edited by 313WX; July-22-15 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by black gold man View Post
    Last night I was very happy to see the area of my driveway and garage was lit up

like a parking lot.
    In my former suburban home the alleyways were closed off decades ago.
    This former home a corner, where the garage is on the side street and uses a very short apron. Mounting a light of low-incline roof was not an option.
    It's always been dark between the house and the garage and front of the garage.

I mounted a 100-watt dusk to dawn on the side-corner of the house facing the garage.
    Used the 100-watt because I wanted halide [[not sodium).
    Had to mount the light below the house roof overhang [[had I mounted it just a foot or two higher, the light would have been too bright for the neighbors and illuminated a much larger area).
    In reflection the 70-watt would have worked fine.

FWIW, bought the light at Lowes after reading online reviews for the brands that Home Depot sells of the dawn-to-dusks.

My present home [[very rural area) has a high-peaked roof [[maybe 20-feet) and the 100-watt lights a very large area. When I bought this same house it had a 175-watt metal-halide that illuminated an even larger area, however it went bad and unable to locate a replacement [[found out it originally installed by the local electric company and offered a monthly rate just for that light).

Quote Originally Posted by black gold man View Post

like a parking lot.
    Came home and saw they put back up our alleyway streetlight today.