Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Little Caesar Pizza Headquarter Palace

Anyone know if Olympia plans on going through with this development between the Fox/Fillmore theaters? They were supposed to break ground on this by now.

no one ever knows if Ilitch will follow through on a development, unless it's a stadium

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    no one ever knows if Ilitch will follow through on a development, unless it's a stadium
    +1

However, sources report that Olympia Development is moving forward with a new business arm that will provide consulting services to developers seeking to demolish structures located in locally designated historic districts.

...and at least half the construction is funded by the taxpayer.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    ...and at least half the construction is funded by the taxpayer.
    And he gets to keep the profits.....

In short, he's a jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    In short, he's a jerk.
    Actually, I would say not. He's just getting away with what the taxpayers and powers that be, let him get away with. He knows how to play the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Actually, I would say not. He's just getting away with what the taxpayers and powers that be, let him get away with. He knows how to play the masses.
    or doing what hundreds of thousands sports fans want him to do.

After all, he isn't taking a public subsidy to run an oil refinery. He is running a sports and entertainment business which has broad appeal to folks in Southeast MI [[and beyond).

...Surrounded by miles and miles of surface lots...

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post

After all, he isn't taking a public subsidy to run an oil refinery. He is running a sports and entertainment business which has broad appeal to folks in Southeast MI [[and beyond).
    Then he should've taken a collection up among the thousands of sports fans, since he needs a few bucks. I'd be more apt to support him if it was an oil refinery.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Anyone know if Olympia plans on going through with this development between the Fox/Fillmore theaters? They were supposed to break ground on this by now.

It's still happening. My understanding is the plans are being finalized now.

An oil refinery would be a comparatively superior public expenditure. Refineries provide lots of high paying jobs, and usually lower local fuel prices.

A subsidized stadium will provide no net economic benefit over an unsubsidized one. There won't be one additional job created.

Also, who are these "hundreds of thousands of sports fans" who prefer that their tax dollars go to billionaires pocketbooks as opposed to schools, roads, safety or economic development? I haven't yet met one.
    Last edited by Bham1982; July-22-15 at 08:51 PM.

I'll believe it when I see it. He hasn't earned my trust yet. So far all he's done is taxpayer funded stadiums and surface lots.

Then he should've taken a collection up among the thousands of sports fans, since he needs a few bucks. I'd be more apt to support him if it was an oil refinery.
    They already tried that, in the final season at Tiger Stadium[[under city ownership) there was 1 dollar from every ticket set aside for future upkeep of the stadium. Long story short, following the end of the season the city sells the stadium to Ilitch for $1, and along with it came that 2 million dollar collection for upkeep, everyone should know the rest of the story. Free Money!

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    They already tried that, in the final season at Tiger Stadium[[under city ownership) there was 1 dollar from every ticket set aside for future upkeep of the stadium. Long story short, following the end of the season the city sells the stadium to Ilitch for $1, and along with it came that 2 million dollar collection for upkeep, everyone should know the rest of the story. Free Money!
    I forgot about that. What a shame.

I forgot about that. What a shame.
    The scary thing is how much pull Ilitch has within the state. He got Tiger torn down, even though the Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy and U.S. Senator Carl Levin secured funds and had a sound business plan for saving and redeveloping the site, it didn't get a chance. The DEGC played the role of facilitator.

Baseball field or not, pretty much all my relatives had been to Tiger, and they're all in the GR area. It was a Michigan institution for many. There aren't too many...

Finally, the most pathetic thing is the fact the mower gang has been shouldering the maintenance load for the field so long. It does say something about Tiger Stadium that a group is so dedicated to keeping the field intact...Pizza! Pizza!
    Last edited by Dbest; July-23-15 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    The scary thing is how much pull Ilitch within the state. He got Tiger torn down, even though the Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy and U.S. Senator Carl Levin secured funds and had a sound business plan for saving and redeveloping the site it didn't get a chance. The DEGC played the role of facilitator.

Baseball field or not, pretty much all my relatives had been to Tiger, and they're all in the GR area. It was a Michigan institution for many. There aren't too many...

Finally, the most pathetic thing is the fact the mower gang has been shouldering the maintenence load for the so long. It does say something about Tiger Stadium that a group is so dedicated to keeping the field intact...Pizza! Pizza!
    And now it'll be a mini-mall and apartments.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    An oil refinery would be a comparatively superior public expenditure. Refineries provide lots of high paying jobs, and usually lower local fuel prices.
    Let me bring you up to date on that concept....

http://archive.freep.com/article/201...-officials-say

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post

So much for another talking point being debunked...

So for 175M: 15 jobs + smog.

i'm liking the arena deal more and more: No smog plus many hundred jobs.
    Last edited by emu steve; July-23-15 at 02:11 PM.

So much for another talking point being debunked...

So for 175M: 15 jobs + smog.

i'm liking the arena deal more and more: No smog plus many hundred jobs.
    Are there really that many jobs getting made though? Seems like they're just moving from one location to another.

Seldom, if ever, do the promised jobs appear after companies are granted huge sums of corporate welfare.

Kinda reminds me of the Little Ceasers GO-Fast boat,once a world champion that now sits in a vacant lot in Miami,stripped and full of moldy rain water.Once it serves its purpose it is allowed to waste away.Kinda like a building.

We had one "The Doll House" even though LC ran circles around us. It was fun until the IRS decided that the topless bar business was a good investment to take.I think they still run it today.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post

Sorry, but no. Need to google a bit harder, and actually read posts carefully before responding.

Again, oil refineries offer lots of high paying jobs, and decrease gas prices. The next stadium taxpayer boondoggle does neither.

The same is true for the Marathon refinery. Your link has an article dealing with refinery air pollution and net new jobs being created from an existing refinery. It says nothing about gas prices nor existing jobs nor existing salaries.
    Last edited by Bham1982; July-24-15 at 12:33 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast