Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default New Detroit Nightmare demonstrated

Detroit = our auto industry in this case. Talk about car-hacking has been bubbling in the background for a while now but a recent article in WIRED definitely announces its arrival. White hat hackers have exploited Chrysler's wifi entertainment systems to shut down a Jeep in a test.

All of this is possible only because Chrysler, like practically all carmakers, is doing its best to turn the modern automobile into a smartphone. Uconnect, an Internet-connected computer feature in hundreds of thousands of Fiat Chrysler cars, SUVs, and trucks, controls the vehicle’s entertainment and navigation, enables phone calls, and even offers a Wi-Fi hot spot. And thanks to one vulnerable element, which Miller and Valasek won’t identify until their Black Hat talk, Uconnect’s cellular connection also lets anyone who knows the car’s IP address gain access from anywhere in the country. “From an attacker’s perspective, it’s a super nice vulnerability,” Miller says. http://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers...-jeep-highway/
    As the article continues the hackers are working with Chrysler which has allowed them to issue a patch before the two release their research at Black Hat. However this has to portend a huge buzzkill for selling onboard wifi systems. It also is making me wonder about my GM Onstar connection that allows remote, starting, locking/unlocking via smartphone app.

When car companies add the touchscreen gadgets and remote starters in their chitty chitty bang bangs, the electronic components goes along with it. Car companies and its engineers didn't see the danger of those new components. Hackers will hack into electronic components of any car and can either steal your car by remote control or take you and your family and friends on a wild ride to accidental deaths! It's time for car companies to re-do the electronic components in their cars or step up new security codes.
    Last edited by Danny; July-22-15 at 06:39 AM.

I hate the addition of technology to vehicles, because before they are even launched whatever the carmaker decided to budget five years ago is basically already obsolete. Great to now know that it can be dangerous, too.

Gimme a carbureted, coil and distributor fired retro Detroit ride when all hell breaks loose.

A well placed nuclear generated EMP [[electromagnetic pulse) will make you wish you had one too.

Seems the Military has been working on a version that a drone can use to take out selected Buildings and Vehicles.

Wait till RoboCop gets one.

Not at all surprised by this. Even on a non connected vehicle it can be done easily with a few cheap pieces of technology installed. Think of it as a modern car bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Gimme a carbureted, coil and distributor fired retro Detroit ride when all hell breaks loose.

A well placed nuclear generated EMP [[electromagnetic pulse) will make you wish you had one too.

Seems the Military has been working on a version that a drone can use to take out selected Buildings and Vehicles.

Wait till RoboCop gets one.
    Dan, when the SHTF and visionaries like yourself are the only folks with wheels, where -and how - are going to get gasoline to power those F100s and International Scouts?

i happen to agree with your point of view that older technology will be more dependable in the event of a complete societal collapse, but I haven't figured out the gas thing. Can you help a brother out?

Hackers and taggers. They're all the same. Cut their thumbs off, I say.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Hackers and taggers. They're all the same. Cut their thumbs off, I say.
    Yup..Right at the wrist.

Looks like there's some concern about the story...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...kers/30617023/

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Dan, when the SHTF and visionaries like yourself are the only folks with wheels, where -and how - are going to get gasoline to power those F100s and International Scouts?

i happen to agree with your point of view that older technology will be more dependable in the event of a complete societal collapse, but I haven't figured out the gas thing. Can you help a brother out?
    If you're smart your SHTF vehicle is an old mechanical injected diesel, that will run on anything... Otherwise you just get gas from all the non-running modern vehicles abandoned by the side of the road...

Hmmmm...if you go in the ditch when your car stalls or ignition quits from a defective switch maybe you shouldn't be driving...

No probleemo Bro,

Watch any Mad Max movie or http://www.motherearthnews.com/green...z81mjzraw.aspx

Good question! Here's a start:

Total duration 44 minutes:The do-it-yourself refinery info starts around the 12 minute mark. Essentially, you need to build a moonshine still.