Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default The hydroplanes are returning in August

I know many of you may think the hydros are a waste of time, but for me it is a part of recapturing my youth.

Hydroplane Sunday in the late 70s was a rite of passage and a BIG deal. Transporting the scaffolding down to Owen Park at 7:00 a.m., bringing in the grills and kegs, spending the day eating, drinking and chatting up young women in bikinis - it just didn't get any better. Oh yes, and watching the thunderboats, that was fun too.

are they actually coming? I thought it was cancelled

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    I know many of you may think the hydros are a waste of time, but for me it is a part of recapturing my youth.

Hydroplane Sunday in the late 70s was a rite of passage and a BIG deal. Transporting the scaffolding down to Owen Park at 7:00 a.m., bringing in the grills and kegs, spending the day eating, drinking and chatting up young women in bikinis - it just didn't get any better. Oh yes, and watching the thunderboats, that was fun too.

Thank you for the misleading headline.

Misleading headline?

From the Free Press...

returning Aug. 22-23 to Detroit This week, UAW-GM and Detroit Riverfront Events Inc. plan to announce the return of hydroplane unlimited racing Aug. 22-23 to the Detroit River.
    The race will take place between Belle Isle and the Detroit mainland over a 2.5-mile course, in the same location where past APBA Gold Cup contests raced.
    Two Michigan-based drivers are scheduled to compete in the event: Cal Phipps [[Sterling Heights) in the U-27 Wiggins Racing entry and rookie Patrick Sankuer [[Chesterfield Township) in the U-12 Centurion Racing Miss DiJulio.
    Hydroplanes have been a part of Motor City sports for a century. The first sanctioned race took place in 1915 and the first Gold Cup race in 1916. Since then at least one hydroplane race has been contested every year in Detroit, with only a five-year hiatus [[1941-45) due to World War II.
    The Detroit River Regatta Association, which had hosted the Gold Cup races, ceased operations Feb. 28, putting hydroplane racing in Detroit this year in jeopardy.
    The APBA Gold Cup race has moved to the Tri-Cities, Wash., area July 25-26. The hydroplane season begins July 3 in Madison, Ind.

Misleading headline?

From the Free Press...

returning Aug. 22-23 to Detroit This week, UAW-GM and Detroit Riverfront Events Inc. plan to announce the return of hydroplane unlimited racing Aug. 22-23 to the Detroit River.
    The race will take place between Belle Isle and the Detroit mainland over a 2.5-mile course, in the same location where past APBA Gold Cup contests raced.
    Two Michigan-based drivers are scheduled to compete in the event: Cal Phipps [[Sterling Heights) in the U-27 Wiggins Racing entry and rookie Patrick Sankuer [[Chesterfield Township) in the U-12 Centurion Racing Miss DiJulio.
    Hydroplanes have been a part of Motor City sports for a century. The first sanctioned race took place in 1915 and the first Gold Cup race in 1916. Since then at least one hydroplane race has been contested every year in Detroit, with only a five-year hiatus [[1941-45) due to World War II.
    The Detroit River Regatta Association, which had hosted the Gold Cup races, ceased operations Feb. 28, putting hydroplane racing in Detroit this year in jeopardy.
    The APBA Gold Cup race has moved to the Tri-Cities, Wash., area July 25-26. The hydroplane season begins July 3 in Madison, Ind.
    Because it is next year hot shot....

No, the Hydroplanes are back this year.

Because it is next year hot shot....
    I guess not, Mr. Knowitall...

http://www.mlive.com/business/detroi..._for_2015.html

That's an old link before the races were cancelled. Here is an updated link:
    http://www.detroitboatraces.com/

General admission at select parks are free as in days yore.
    http://www.detroitboatraces.com/tickets.php

Very glad to see this, and thanks are in order for UAW-GM for picking up the slack here. It would have been a real shame to lose suck a long time east side tradition. Good to see they they're bringing back the Unlimiteds too [[even without the Gold Cup) rather than the sort of minor league event that the DRRA was proposing before they went belly-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Farwell View Post
    That's an old link before the races were cancelled. Here is an updated link:
    http://www.detroitboatraces.com/
    There are still races being held this year in August. It won't be the Gold Cup, but the Spirit of Detroit Hydrofest in 2015. Next year the Gold Cup returns.

Racing this year. And the Gold Cup returns next year. Can't think of any better news.
    http://www.detroitnews.com/story/spo...mmer/30765223/

Eagle Electric...never forget.

I was [[and remain) a Miss Smirnoff fan.

For what it's worth, the O Boy Oberto/Miss Madison took the Gold Cup lat weekend at Tri-Cities WA. Seafair is this weekend with Detroit slotted between Seafair and San Diego Bayfair, which returned from the dead about 5 years ago.

There will be about 300,000 in attendance for Seafair this weekend. Granted some will be there to watch the Blue Angles, but Seafair is a summer long festival, and I don't think in the long term the Detroit races will survive unless they are tied into or with another event like they used to be tied in with The Freedom Festival many years ago.