Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Lorax Guest

It wouldn't surprise me if Sstashmoo was out there organizing " Birther" rallies, while toting the now famous sign of Obama with a Hitler mustache.

Are you for real?

The closing of Gitmo was never designed to "benefit" the economy- you might as well believe that our invasion and occupation of Iraq was suppose to benefit us, per the Tushter, by lowering oil prices. Guess that was a lie too.

How's that lower oil pricing working for ya?

Thanks to Democrats we have unions, and now the Lilly Ledbetter Law which has real teeth in enforcing equal pay for equal work.

I guess Oliver Twist was you favorite play in high school?

Oh, that's right, the Rethuglicans cancelled the arts program at your school, so the comparison is most likely lost on you.

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    Quote: "It is pro-business to allow pay discrimination."

No, it is pro-business, to allow businesses to operate in a manner to keep themselves solvent. It's in the country's best interest to maintain these businesses and the jobs they provide. If an employee is an asset to a company they will react in kind with compensation. If they aren't, they won't. Simple math there. If someone feels they are not being paid enough, and they are indeed worth more, they have the freedom to leave to another company that will compensate them accordingly. If they can't find that company, their aptitude, attitude, and work ethic, is probably not worth what they think it is.

Well, not anymore. Now you can drag your employer through the courts and jeopardize everyone's job that works for said employer if you feel you should get a quarter raise because someone else did. We're screwed.
    Suffering from KoolAid withdrawl, apparently.

So, by your metric, it's OK to drive down wages to third world levels, since we are now competing with 1,400,000,000 workers in China who are working for slave wages? American corporations did this to us, and then to themselves. Now with our economic back broken, by them, there isn't enough money left, no jobs either, so we can't afford to buy their cheap made in China crap available at your local Walmart. Boo Hoo.

All you fascists can shove it. I hope it only gets worse for corporate America, unlesss, of course they choose to pay a living wage, or agree to sell new cars for 1,000.00 bucks, and milk costs 25 cents a gallon. You can't have low wages and high prices.

Quote: "Are you for real?"

Most definitely.

Quote: "Thanks to Democrats we have unions, and now the Lilly Ledbetter Law which has real teeth in enforcing equal pay for equal work."

And you own how many businesses according to you, "several" if I remember correctly? Ever feel the urge to punch yourself in the bag? Just curious.

Lorax Guest

Quote: "Are you for real?"

Most definitely.

Quote: "Thanks to Democrats we have unions, and now the Lilly Ledbetter Law which has real teeth in enforcing equal pay for equal work."

And you own how many businesses according to you, "several" if I remember correctly? Ever feel the urge to punch yourself in the bag? Just curious.
    No thanks, I'll leave that pleasure to you.

Quote: "it's OK to drive down wages to third world levels, since we are now competing with 1,400,000,000 workers in China who are working for slave wages?"

If the US continues to trade with China the way it is now, employers, which are businesses too by the way have no choice.

Quote: "American corporations did this to us,"

And US politicians fully knowing the ramifications, allowed it. So one can surmise it is the Governments past and present fault. Or cut to the chase: Lobbyists.

Quote: "All you fascists can shove it. "

Same to you Ma'am.

Quote: "I hope it only gets worse for corporate America,"

And you own how many businesses again? "Several" was it. looks like it may be time for you to take another break.

Quote: "You can't have low wages and high prices."

But, that's how it appears to the layperson. The reality is it's the effect of US business trying to survive against the onslaught of imported goods. Nobody is getting rich here. Took a peek at the market in the last six months?

Really. So all a company has to do is say, we can pay women, black person, foreigner, whoever we want, less than a white male for the same exact work because it's better for us to make people work cheaper, but we can't DO that to the white men. They are always better qualified and that makes them worth more.

I am so glad they passed Title VII, ADEA, ADA and the Lily Ledbetter Fair Pay Act. Thank you, sensible and fair-minded citizens for the protection from blind egocentrism.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Really. So all a company has to do is say, we can pay women, black person, foreigner, whoever we want, less than a white male for the same exact work because it's better for us to make people work cheaper, but we can't DO that to the white men. They are always better qualified and that makes them worth more.
    Yes!

And here are just a few cogent reasons for this model:

• it works [[see invisible hand etc...)
    • when the sheeple comply, the structure provides a consistent society
    • promotes [[seems to) the great human achievements

Quote: "Thank you, sensible and fair-minded citizens for the protection from blind egocentrism."

Translation: High-five fellow greedy people. We have even more ways to browbeat the companies we work for. What was that? They provide jobs? What does that mean?

Well, thank God we are bigger than that. Greed rules those who refuse to share the pie.

So, should this guy NOT be able to sue his employer?

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news..._buren_lawsuit

Lorax Guest

According to SStashmoo, who is an apologist for corporate America, her personal privilege as a wealthy white woman is not to be interfered with, and since she's got hers, no one else is suppose to have a chance, and should be a slave to their employers.

Well, Madame, carrying water for big business isn't going to get us anywhere but broke. Oh, that's right we are broke, thanks to corporate greed and the systematic demolition of our industrial base in favor of cheap foreign labor.

How American of them, and you.

You should be siding with the American people first, not the corporate slave-drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    A week does not go by without seeing some person on TV screaming and even crying about Obama? What are they so afraid of? Normal people do not cry in public about such things.

And does anyone know what they mean when they scream that they "want their country back"?
    Those who have comfortably exploited the weak and poor for their own enrichment are always terrified at the possiblity of losing their stranglehold on the wealth of the world and possibly having to share with the less fortunate.

Of course they "want their country back"--they really do believe it's theirs and the rest of us are mere squatters and interlopers at best.

Lorax Guest

Fine point, Elganned.

Those on the right have always felt entitled, and somehow more deserving of society's riches. Level playing fields are anathema to their political ideology. Stack the deck against those "others" on the outside, and game the system in such a way to keep the power and money concentrated in as few hands as possible.

We had an accellerated version of this brand of fascism under the Bush Regime, and have yet to dismantle it.

The bailouts of Goldman Sach et. al., prove this, since it's back to business as ususal for them, and until they come up with a new way of scoring credit, or dumping this system altogether, then there will be no recovery, no lending, and no economic growth worth mentioning.

ccbatson Guest

Entitled too? If you mean entitled to the unalienable rights granted by our creator as affirmed in our founding documents...that of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness...then yes, we [[all of us) are very much entitled to our rights in this country.

Quote: "According to SStashmoo, who is an apologist for corporate America,"

Apologist? Or one who understands that for "every action there is an equal and opposite reaction". Further legal means to denigrate a company's solvency is detriment to the economy and people. There is this mindset and it is most prolific here in the Detroit area from my experience, that says all corporations and even businesses are bad. No good ever comes from them. It's us against them. This thread is testament to this very premise. Corporate America is working it's way away from here and new entities are not moving in. You can blame Granholm or Engler all you want.

Lilly Ledbetter is a champion? At a time like this? She has just gave "corporations" one more reason to leave.

Quote: "no one else is suppose to have a chance"

Everyone has a chance. Not everyone is entitled or obligated to equalize individual assets. If you want yours, go and get it. Nobody is holding you back, but you. Lorax, you own "several businesses" you should know this simple fundamental fact.

Quote: "You should be siding with the American people first, not the corporate slave-drivers"

Yeah, shut all them big bad corporations down, we don't need no steenking jobs. Our hiphop President can borrow a few more Trill from the Chinese and we'll all have a party for the next three years. Gotcha.

Lorax Guest

Quote: "According to SStashmoo, who is an apologist for corporate America,"

Apologist? Or one who understands that for "every action there is an equal and opposite reaction". Further legal means to denigrate a company's solvency is detriment to the economy and people. There is this mindset and it is most prolific here in the Detroit area from my experience, that says all corporations and even businesses are bad. No good ever comes from them. It's us against them. This thread is testament to this very premise. Corporate America is working it's way away from here and new entities are not moving in. You can blame Granholm or Engler all you want.

Lilly Ledbetter is a champion? At a time like this? She has just gave "corporations" one more reason to leave.

Quote: "no one else is suppose to have a chance"

Everyone has a chance. Not everyone is entitled or obligated to equalize individual assets. If you want yours, go and get it. Nobody is holding you back, but you. Lorax, you own "several businesses" you should know this simple fundamental fact.

Quote: "You should be siding with the American people first, not the corporate slave-drivers"

Yeah, shut all them big bad corporations down, we don't need no steenking jobs. Our hiphop President can borrow a few more Trill from the Chinese and we'll all have a party for the next three years. Gotcha.
    What's up, SStashmoo, is your armor cracking? Looking a little unhinged lately, hmmm....

"Gotcha" politics is what you and your kind trade in, and no one of any credibility is buying it anymore.

This most recent post of your reveals what you really are, what with the references to CEO worship, denial of equal pay law enforcement for equal work, and your not so veiled references to our supposed "hiphop" president.

Perhaps I should say "Gotcha!"

Funny, how I have to keep bringing this up to those who just don't get it, but where in anything I, or anyone posting on the left has proffered a mutually exclusive view of the world? Things are not carved in stone, only facts, which are not open to opinion or interpretation. The world is not black and white, laws are shaded as well to reflect that we are human first. You have me and most liberals confused with your kind- as far as I can see only Rethuglicans favor a black and white view of the world, and are guilty of either/or politics.

I don't have to agree with, nor do I with everything my elected officials do. Rehtuglicans on the other hand rubber stamped everything the Tush Regime put forth, nearly 100%, without question or dissent, giving us the unmitigated disaster we suffered through the last 8 years. Blind loyalty to the dictator is usually a fatal thing, and this time was no different. No one I know on the left drinks the KoolAid as well as the fascist right does.

Even Saracuda Palin right now is accusing Obama of "threatening" her child with his version of health care reform, adding that he's in favor of "euthanasia" of the elderly. What a load of bullshit from a completely stupid dum dum who couldn't debate her way out of a paper bag.

And no, not everyone has an equal chance in your delusional world of all thing fascist.

Why did we need a Lily Ledbetter Act in the first place? Probably because right wing Rethuglican Regimes in this country found it inconvenient to enforce laws on the books, much as hate crime legislation, which has taken over where crimes based on hate finally are getting prosecuted.

We needed Roe v. Wade to keep religious nutjobs from imposing their socially retarded view of abortion on the rest of us, and in spite of years of Rethuglican presidents and matching majorities in congresss, they have still failed to repeal it. Guess everyone is on the same page with abortion finally. Or is it just another example of phony outrage? Perhaps needing a boogey man to hold up at election time as a rallying point for the uneducated, ignorant Rethuglican voters?

So, in your world of "actions having an equal and opposite reaction" plays well on my side of the fence as well. The points I mentioned above, plus, we can add to that, Brown v. Board of Education, Civil Rights Act, Voting Rights Act, Medicare/Medicaid, Social Security, and the hits keep coming, courtesy of Democratically led administrations and congresses over the years.

Rethuglicans have been the party of "NO" to civil rights, equal rights, unions, equal pay, same sex marriage, public education, the arts, etc, etc,. And now they are "Teabagging" and "Astroturfing" their way across America ginned up on phony outrage against bills they have never read, and keep mischaracterizing, and in fact, downright lying about in order to shut down public discourse. Welcome to the tactics of the Third Reich.

Rethuglicans, go ahead and be contented at the millions you keep under your bed, since only entitled, spoiled, self-centered egotists could take the positions you do and not be completely embarrassed at talking about it.
    Last edited by Lorax; August-09-09 at 09:45 AM.

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    At least we know now what the bulldog Palin is doing...she is going around inciting riots.

What a bunch of freaks...anyone who follows her deserves the karmic backlash.
    Yes, I just heard now that she's out there saying Obama is "threatening" her child with his version of health care reform, adding, that "euthanasia" is what he favors as a "final solution" for our elderly.

If they really think this kind of sycophantic, backward, fundamentalist Taliban view is going to play with voters other than the frothing masses of Rethuglicans, then they are in for a real wake up call.

Quote: "Looking a little unhinged lately, hmmm...."

Please cite anything in my post that would be considered "unhinged" according to you. It's called common sense.

Quote: "This most recent post of your reveals what you really are,"

Yes, a person that realizes he is responsible for and to himself. Not relying on some nonsense like "life is fair". It isn't.

The rest of your post is just party-aligned unhinged jabber/whining that doesn't warrant any sort of reply.

I'm not seeing a response to my question, should this man NOT be able to sue his employer?

While we're at it, how about these guys, should they not have been able to sue their employer?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=103289178

Talking about suing employers, I got to thinking, does employing a lot of people immunize an employer from other types of suits? How about these?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grutter_v._Bollinger

Lorax Guest

Quote:

Yes, a person that realizes he is responsible for and to himself. Not relying on some nonsense like "life is fair". It isn't.
    No one on the left belives we are NOT responsible for ourselves, no one is asking for a handout. Rehtuglicans are the first at the well of corporate welfare, and first to deny the same to individuals when in a desperate situation. Fomenting class warfare is part and parcel of the right wing agenda/

You accuse us of worshiping the collective as individuals, when your kind worship the collective of the corporation, shunning the individual. Go ahead and tell me which is anti-American and which is not.

Our hiphop President can borrow a few more Trill from the Chinese and we'll all have a party for the next three years. Gotcha.

Why do call our president hiphop ?

Is it because he's young and black ?

Does he look like Kwame Kilpatrick ?

Why would you call a constitutional law professor, former US senator and president of the Harvard Law review hiphop ?

Is this just more white-folk code speak for" I don't trust this black guy he reminds me of P Diddy ?

Are you a racist or do you just play one on this board ?

inquiring minds want to know.

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    I'm not seeing a response to my question, should this man NOT be able to sue his employer?

While we're at it, how about these guys, should they not have been able to sue their employer?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=103289178

Talking about suing employers, I got to thinking, does employing a lot of people immunize an employer from other types of suits? How about these?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grutter_v._Bollinger
    Great post. We can add to that the immunity giant behemoths like Walmart, Amway, etc, owned by right wing fundamentalists, enjoy when rules regarding unionization and fair treatment of employees are broken down under Rethuglican administrations.

Don't forget the Walmart saga of the Quebec store- when opened it was then organized for unionization, and rather than fight the Canadian system, Walmart closed the newly finished store and left town. Throwing hundreds out of work.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/10/bu...s/10cmart.html

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Why do call our president hiphop ?

Is it because he's young and black ?

Does he look like Kwame Kilpatrick ?

Why would you call a constitutional law professor, former US senator and president of the Harvard Law review hiphop ?

Is this just more white-folk code speak for" I don't trust this black guy he reminds me of P Diddy ?

Are you a racist or do you just play one on this board ?

inquiring minds want to know.
    Glad I'm not the only one to notice that.

It boils down to fear. Those on the right can't imagine a black president as representative of their world. You keep hearing these ignorant Rethuglicans chanting "I want my country baaaack!" which is a not so veiled reference to: "Get that n..... out of my White House!" It's racism, whether subconscious or not.

We can thank the Rethugs in one sense- without the traitorous war crimes and felonies of the Bush Crime Family, illegal wars, no bid contracts, illegal wiretapping, rendering, torture, we wouldn't have gotten Barack Obama.

It's a shame that's what it took to take the country in such a polar opposite direction politically, but as shocking as it may seem to the Reich, they will adapt, and so far, it's going badly for them.

The Teabagging & Astroturfing, brought to us courtesy of the corporate masters of the Reich, have succeeded only in stirring the underlying hatred of America- liberals, blacks, hispanics, gays, etc.

Look for more of the same, and Obama had better have swat team security that can be relied upon, since there have been innumerable threats against his life, and that of his family since Nov.4th.

Sad that the right wing has only disruption and lies to rely on, and has not even put forth alternative plans, good, bad, or indifferent for any of Obama's agenda- just saying "no" didn't even work for Nancy Reagan.

Quote: "Walmart closed the newly finished store and left town. Throwing hundreds out of work."

I'll finish that sentence for you, "that they just hired"

Quote: "Why do call our president hiphop ?

Is it because he's young and black ?"

Well, sounds like you'd like to make it that way. It is because he's young and hip. Now who is the racist?

Quote: "I'm not seeing a response to my question,"

Gaz, there are extenuating circumstances in each of those cases, hence they are going to court. To say yay or nay on the information provided shows bias on one's part. No one should be discriminated against, however, no one should feel entitled because of any group they may belong to either. That is just as bad in the other direction.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast