Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Train Store at Somerset Collection

Hello guys-

When Somerset North first opened there was a train store which I believe was on the third floor towards Hudson's on the north side of the building [[so the parking deck side). Does anyone recall the name of the store and how long it lasted?

It was a neat store with a Lionel train going around the perimeter of the store up above. As I was still a kid then and soon to outgrow Thomas the Tank Engine, I was a kid in a candy shop. I still love trains, though don't have time or money to invest in something as cool as a Lionel train set. Thanks!

Sidebar: Also there was a Waldenbooks in there. How I miss going to Somerset now and realizing I'm sick of clothes and electronics, I just want to go browse at books.

I forget the name of the store as well but i do remember the store. It was part of a chain. The internet killed such stores.

The internet [[eBay) also killed estate auctions of toy train collectors and toy train resales.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Hello guys-

When Somerset North first opened there was a train store which I believe was on the third floor towards Hudson's on the north side of the building [[so the parking deck side). Does anyone recall the name of the store and how long it lasted?

It was a neat store with a Lionel train going around the perimeter of the store up above. As I was still a kid then and soon to outgrow Thomas the Tank Engine, I was a kid in a candy shop. I still love trains, though don't have time or money to invest in something as cool as a Lionel train set. Thanks!
    IIRC, it was the Great Train Store. It was a chain. they went belly up in the late 90s.

Sidebar: Also there was a Waldenbooks in there. How I miss going to Somerset now and realizing I'm sick of clothes and electronics, I just want to go browse at books.
    Which was pretty much the problem with the book store chains ...too many browsers, not enough purchasers.

Thank you!

I would buy from time to time. But you're right, it was a mentality of "If I browse, I'm sure someone is buying. And when I buy, someone is browsing."