Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default CBS Detroit Radio Layoffs - WWJ

I saw Neal Rubin's article today about layoffs at WWJ:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/opi...cast/30217235/

This is terrible news! How can an all-news, all-the-time station not have live news broadcasts 24hrs a day?

I still miss Joe Donovan too.

I really enjoy WWJ, especially in the overnight hours. WWJ 950 is definitely a great thing to have, most cities don't have an all-news station.

Thoughts?

That was a major disappointment for me too. They have an exceptionally talented collection of voice artists on that station.

According to that article they have been financially lucrative so it doesn't seem to make any sense. There must be something more to the story. Perhaps some kind of boardroom-politics extortion attempt?

well, shoot, not everybody has Sirius XM

Millennial here who loves the CBS Radio network. Interesting way to keep up with what's going on in different cities. It's downright shameful they're not going 24/7 still. It's not ​ 24/7 when you have a machine. Just not the same.
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; July-17-15 at 12:51 PM.

I wonder if anyone at 97.1 the Ticket will be affected?

I wanted a job in radio. As a Specs alum of recent vintage, this is disheartening. Ah well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I wanted a job in radio. As a Specs alum of recent vintage, this is disheartening. Ah well.
    You could always post the latest news on DetroitYES!

I hear that. I remain a terrestrial radio listener. AM is on my dial including this station. Sorry to hear the news!

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    well, shoot, not everybody has Sirius XM

I just heard on WWJ someone commenting on the unusually high number of construction cranes spotted in Detroit lately. There's some good news right there.

I actually listen to WWJ quite a bit during my commutes. Not sure yet if I will like the reductions in personnel - probably not, but then a lot of the time WWJ rebroadcasts
    stories recorded during day hours during the night, so that might still continue. There's
    always BBC World Service over at NPR to listen to on midnight shift though that organization has experienced reduced funding and staffing as well.

A while back DetroitYes had this thread:

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...ation-in-the-d

WWJ AM 950 gets a mention down around post #34 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    I wonder if anyone at 97.1 the Ticket will be affected?
    Let's hope Bill McAllister.......

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Let's hope Bill McAllister.......
    Shoot, let loose the whole juvenile morning show. Just can't stand that 7th grade humor any longer. I've got Sirius and stay there. Never thought I'd be willing to pay for radio, but that group has driven me there and I'm never coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect View Post
    Shoot, let loose the whole juvenile morning show. Just can't stand that 7th grade humor any longer. I've got Sirius and stay there. Never thought I'd be willing to pay for radio, but that group has driven me there and I'm never coming back.
    I quit listening back when Jay Towers was on and kept referring to women as "chicks".

Even though he can be condescending at times, I still like Mike Valenti. Him and Foster can be entertaining at times. But, Stoney , Bill and Sara are just too juvenile to listen to anymore. And I'm sure they make pretty good money to do this crap for 4 hours a day. Mind boggling.

WWJ serves a niche need - that need to the guaranted traffic every 10 minutes on the 8's as you commute to work. The rest of the day/commute home - there's no need to listen, it's all repeats.