Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Another high-speed chase enters Detroit

Right when we're still feeling the aftershock of a recent fatal high-speed chase, suddenly another recent one has crossed into the city of Detroit, this one beginning a few miles away in Wyandotte, which itself has ended up caught in the middle of a series of high-speed chases.

http://www.thenewsherald.com/articles/2015/07/16/news/doc55a8009a6b1d7854869864.txt

In what has become a troubling trend for police in recent weeks, officers found themselves on at least the third high-speed chase in the past month, one that endangered the safety of other motorists and a pedestrian.

It began just past 7 p.m. June 26 when an officer spotted a 2013 Dodge Journey traveling north on Fort Street, near Goddard. The vehicle was traveling in a designated Fort Street right turn lane, but as it approached the Fort/Goddard intersection the driver disregarded the lanes posted usage, suddenly cutting left into another travel lane.
    What has this world become?

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Right when we're still feeling the aftershock of a recent fatal high-speed chase, suddenly another recent one has crossed into the city of Detroit, this one beginning a few miles away in Wyandotte, which itself has ended up caught in the middle of a series of high-speed chases.
    http://www.thenewsherald.com/articles/2015/07/16/news/doc55a8009a6b1d7854869864.txt
    A more appropriate thread title would be"Another Criminal Enters Detroit to Flee Suburban Police".

Law enforcement sometimes requires pursuit. I don't see an alternative. Sure, it should be managed. Sure, sometimes its not done well. Yet no doubt you cannot eliminate pursuit of criminals. What gets missed is that the harm to citizens done by criminals exceeds the harm done by pursuits.

The police should simply note the license plate number and let him/her flee. Then they should notify press reporters of the registration, and allow the reporters to contact the defendant, encouraging him/her to give himself/herself up to the proper authorities. All reporters are certain they can do this.

Oh, wait! The plate/car is stolen? Well, just put a want ad in the paper or during a break for that person to surrender to the nearest reporter.

Simple as all that. [[Reporters will be allowed to carry a ball-point pen.)

Times have changed. My uncle, a cop in Detroit for 35 years, "only had to get the weapon out, once"!
    Never asked about car chases.

We've had several high speed pursuits enter my people's block off of eight mile, a few this summer alone. They are guys trying to cross John R so they can get to I-75. These incidents are rarely if ever reported. Hazel Park and Ferndale are the pursuant half of the time. The other half are DPD jump out boys, and they are definitely the most reckless, driving up on people's lawns and through fences, hitting cars. Kids play in the street there all summer long, so we always hold our breath wondering which ones will be taken out in the process.

I have no suggestions, as I cannot imagine driving away from police thinking I'm actually going to get away in this day and age. But I know there's got to be a better way than putting people's lives in danger for the sake of keeping people's lives from being in danger.

A GPS bullet "consists of a tag, a small projectile with the end covered in a viscous adhesive which contains a GPS locator and a transmitter, fired by compressed air from a small launcher on the front grille of a police car."

Shut them down by remote. The technology is there. Enough of this bullshit. And shut them down in a suburb where they'll get arrested.

Troubling trend my ass. We asked for this. It's going to get worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    A GPS bullet "consists of a tag, a small projectile with the end covered in a viscous adhesive which contains a GPS locator and a transmitter, fired by compressed air from a small launcher on the front grille of a police car."
    Ok... the car with the GPS tracker is allowed to get a 5 mile lead [[or greater) on the cops [[because we can track 'em, right?) then the people in the car ditch the vehicle with plenty of room/time to get away clean... We can find an empty car, now what?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    Ok... the car with the GPS tracker is allowed to get a 5 mile lead [[or greater) on the cops [[because we can track 'em, right?) then the people in the car ditch the vehicle with plenty of room/time to get away clean... We can find an empty car, now what?
    Fewer funerals for innocent bystanders?
    Last edited by Jimaz; July-16-15 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Fewer funerals for innocent bystanders?
    Not by a long shot. Simply letting criminals drive away may eliminate a fatal chase crash but would increase crime and deaths.

I blame the criminal for committing the crime and endangering people.