Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What will become of Washington Blvd?

What happened to the stores which lined Washington Blvd? I had noticed that all stores fronts are borded up.

You know that Turnip Truck that you fell off of? Yeah that one. All the stores used that same truck and drove to Wonderland.

crawford Guest

Stasu, those stores have been closed for 30-40 years.

You just noticed now?

Retroit Guest

Lucky guy! Missed the whole Tinker Toy and Trolley Era.
    Last edited by Retroit; August-07-09 at 07:59 PM.

DetroitDad Guest

Or are you talking about the Book Tower being boarded up? Basically, that whole block vacated a few months ago. The Book Tower is at least properly moth balled however, with a security guard and permanent generator and pump system installed.

Other than that, Washington is one of the most activated streets Downtown, with new stores and renovated buildings. Has anyone checked out the new fresh deli yet? It's pretty good!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Or are you talking about the Book Tower being boarded up? Basically, that whole block vacated a few months ago. The Book Tower is at least properly moth balled however, with a security guard and permanent generator and pump system installed.

Other than that, Washington is one of the most activated streets Downtown, with new stores and renovated buildings. Has anyone checked out the new fresh deli yet? It's pretty good!

I've been to the new deli. The sandwich was good, and cheap!

However, the classy exterior sign is a little deceiving... It's really just a crappy liquor store that happens to have good sandwiches. The whole elevated counter and bulletproof glass thing isn't very friendly.

Whatever, can't win 'em all!

gnome and crawford. There were a Dental office, Bookies Tavern, and some small boutiques, cigar shops, and other things there last year this time. They are gone. Gnome, the turnup truck I had fell off of is the one I was a guard on to keep you and your friends from escaping.

Where is this turnip truck? I love to make me some turnip greens. Mmmmmm...

Someone had told me today that the owner of the Book Cadillac condo has purchased those storefronts moved the tenants out and is planning to move or allow more upper scale stores to move on the Blvd.

I noticed some lights on in the Book Tower last night, at least the current owners aren't letting it sit completely dark..

crawford Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Someone had told me today that the owner of the Book Cadillac condo has purchased those storefronts moved the tenants out and is planning to move or allow more upper scale stores to move on the Blvd.
    LOL, broke-ass Cleveland-based Ferchill bought vacant, unusable retail spaces in an abandoned building with no utilities? Where did you hear this?

And "more upper-scale stores"? How about just "stores"? Is there even one retailer left on Washington Blvd?

And "more upper-scale stores"? How about just "stores"? Is there even one retailer left on Washington Blvd?
    There certainly aren't many, and I haven't walked down there for a bit, but last time I did Zemco Fabrics was still there and I think you can buy stuff there. I know people who bought stuff from them before they sold the building that had their big sign on it at the corner of Griswold and moved down Washington Blvd. I don't generally buy fabric, so I haven't any first-hand experience.

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    LOL, broke-ass Cleveland-based Ferchill bought vacant, unusable retail spaces in an abandoned building with no utilities? Where did you hear this?
    Now Ferchill, whose renovation of the iconic Westin Book-Cadillac has rapidly become Motor City legend, is turning his hand to a new project — an $87 million renovation of the nearby Book Tower....

Ferchill wouldn't discuss the details of his project, but original plans for the renovation called for mixed-use residential, office and retail space....

The Book Tower renovation is part of a Ferchill Group-backed effort to redevelop a downtown strip centered along Washington Boulevard.

“This neighborhood is probably the most fixable of anything we've seen,” he said.
    http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...UB01/308099952

Can someone please post the rest of this article? I'm not a subscriber to Crains Detroit, but the Book Tower is my fav and I'd like to be up to date with what's happening with it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by leland_palmer View Post

They left cause the trolley did. Another thing I wish I had did. Ride the trolley when it was going, but as things go I was there it wasn't running.

MIRepublic Guest

The trolley [[that I happened to love) was reduced, by the city's disinterest in making it work, to being a toy. It was death by neglect. It's removal, however, is not what caused the recent [[90's on) emptying of Washington Square; that's just silly.

Leland, does the article happen to mention the current ownership? I ask because I wonder if AKNO still owns it of if they'd since sold to Ferchill? I'm interested to see how Ferchill is looking to attack this redevelopment, through majority ownship of the building or a small investmenting interest?
    Last edited by MIRepublic; August-10-09 at 01:59 AM.

The loss of the Washington Blvd was really a terrible mistake on the part of the city. They should have kept the trolleys, some of which were one of a kinds, and built a new track along the east Riverfront, or along the Dequindre Cut, or in some kind of loop around midtown or something. Really a bummer.

The stores that exist in Washington Bvld. are WBC Coffee, The Roast, A Jewerly store, An Arab owned deli and convenient store, St Aloysius Church and Book Store, Wingate Buildings Apts, Colonials, Trolley Market, Himelhocks, A Black owned Beauty Salon, and Julian Mason businesses.

I tuned into Detroit Today on WDET, and a woman, I'm not sure where she was from, was being interviewed about Ferchill and Washington Blvd, she said that he seemed very excited about developing Washington Blvd. They also talked about the Book Tower and that was also a positive conversation. Ferchill knows that Washington Blvd. is prime for Detroit and hopes he can make it into a dense place for shops, residencies, and businesses.

I have always heard that Washington Blvd was where the stores were, Rather then bug my Mom, What kinda stores were there?

Washington Blvd. had the high end stores, Himelhoch's and J.M. Citron to name a few. [[Griswold had lower-tier stores and Woodward had the middle-tier stores).

Ferchill may single-handedly recreate Washington Blvd.

Sounds like he was instrumental in getting Lafeyette Building demolished. "I'll save everything with the word Book in it, if you tear that building down."

I think the People Mover had replaced the trolley.

MIRepublic Guest

I don't know about that. Saving the Book-Cadillac was great, and the Book Tower would be a coup, but there is still much work to do on the boulevard just to stabilize it. I won't be confident about the future of this district until something fills the anchor Statler site that everyone seems to have forgotten about.

No, the People Mover never did, nor was it supposed to, take the place of the trolley. The trolley was built as a touristy vintage trolley line.
    Last edited by MIRepublic; August-11-09 at 12:06 AM.

detmich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MIRepublic View Post
    I don't know about that. Saving the Book-Cadillac was great, and the Book Tower would be a coup, but there is still much work to do on the boulevard just to stabilize it. I won't be confident about the future of this district until something fills the anchor Statler site that everyone seems to have forgotten about.

No, the People Mover never did, nor was it supposed to, take the place of the trolley. The trolley was built as a touristy vintage trolley line.

San Francisco has trollies.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast