Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I'm sure GM, given its size and workers who are fairly well paid, had some influence in the opening of this Panera Bread location.

Grosse Pointe is also home to a Panera Bread despite having only 5,300 people. But of course median household income is just shy of $90,000 per year. With GM having between 5,000 and 6,000 employees in the Ren Cen, I'm sure their income numbers are at least similar to Grosse Pointe's [[probably higher) given that's where all of the executives are.

If this isn't good enough for some, then they need to either call on Dan Gilbert, open a PAnera Bread themselves or lobby the city government.
    That comparison between Grosse Point and the GM employees doesn't make a lot of sense to me. People from other city's may pass through the Grosse Point's or maybe have a reason to actually go there like to shop or something like that. Who the hell goes to the Ren Cen if they don't have to? Nobody that I know. I think I'd rather go to the Dentist then go to that place.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    That comparison between Grosse Point and the GM employees doesn't make a lot of sense to me. People from other city's may pass through the Grosse Point's or maybe have a reason to actually go there like to shop or something like that. Who the hell goes to the Ren Cen if they don't have to? Nobody that I know. I think I'd rather go to the Dentist then go to that place.
    Well using that same logic, who in the hell works in the Ren Cen would leave it if they don't have to? I'm sure it's just as much of a pain trying to leave the complex as it is trying to come in from the outside and navigate it.

But the main point with the comparison is that there's, without question, a ton of money to be made given the amount of wealth in such a small radius and the relative lack of competing chain restaurants. Panera Bread of course realizes this and thus sees an opportunity to open a profitable location.

With places like Ben & JErry's closing in what's now one of the "busiest" areas in downtown Detroit, opening a location elsewhere would be a crap shoot at best.

I beginning to see the pattern in downtown Detroit. Dan Gilbert lure locally owned restaurants into his businesses mostly on the pricey side for they serve cocktails and other alcoholic beverages with breakfast and lunch. Panera Bread, Olga, Potbelly, etc are national chains that are a little more wallet and pocketbook friendlier. Maybe that is why Panera Bread didn't open on Woodward in one of the buildings that are owned by Gilbert. The new restaurant Wich Wich is opening in the Penobscot Building and is going to be another nice middle end restaurant to catch a bite to eat. I would love to see a National Coney Island open somewhere in the Downtown/Midtown area. I use to frequent Zef's from breakfast but the restaurant is no longer inside the First National Building. Maybe it was too low end for Gilbert's taste

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Well using that same logic, who in the hell works in the Ren Cen would leave it if they don't have to? I'm sure it's just as much of a pain trying to leave the complex as it is trying to come in from the outside and navigate it.

But the main point with the comparison is that there's, without question, a ton of money to be made given the amount of wealth in such a small radius and the relative lack of competing chain restaurants. Panera Bread of course realizes this and thus sees an opportunity to open a profitable location.

With places like Ben & JErry's closing in what's now one of the "busiest" areas in downtown Detroit, opening a location elsewhere would be a crap shoot at best.
    Ben & Jerrys is closing? It had been a good run for them. 10 yrs or so. Maybe they could relocate to the Winter Garden

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I recall only once having ever been to Panera Bread. They’re not in Detroit’s urban boundaries at all. What all foods do they serve? Is it just bagels, donuts, coffee?
    Panera is a great business. They onsite bake their own pastries and make awesome breads [best baguettes anywhere] and have outstanding soups, salads,sandwiches and coffee equal to Starbucks. With no tips they are an affordable option, superior to Starbucks.

As for being in RenCen I can only think they had to be enticed by a great deal. I know my way around there pretty well and I still get mixed up. Their ad might read "Panera. Now in the Ren Cen - If you can find us." No matter how RenCen tries [colors for the 4 towers for instance] it is still a challenge.

Why is there even any bickering about a Panera coming to the Ren Cen?

It is a positive.

You have thousands of employees in the building plus a large hotel.

The Pottybelly during the lunch rush is insane.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I beginning to see the pattern in downtown Detroit. Dan Gilbert lure locally owned restaurants into his businesses mostly on the pricey side for they serve cocktails and other alcoholic beverages with breakfast and lunch. Panera Bread, Olga, Potbelly, etc are national chains that are a little more wallet and pocketbook friendlier. Maybe that is why Panera Bread didn't open on Woodward in one of the buildings that are owned by Gilbert. The new restaurant Wich Wich is opening in the Penobscot Building and is going to be another nice middle end restaurant to catch a bite to eat. I would love to see a National Coney Island open somewhere in the Downtown/Midtown area. I use to frequent Zef's from breakfast but the restaurant is no longer inside the First National Building. Maybe it was too low end for Gilbert's taste
    I 100/5 agree we need little more middle end restaurants
    Too far to go to zeff's in midtown for lunch

I talk a walk around downtown every day at lunch time, and I might go to the Ren Cen once every two weeks or so. I'd rather Panera be in in a sidewalk friendly location in the main business district, but I will take it in the Ren Cen. I have been missing them for a while now. They made good clean food at reasonable prices.

P.S. I third the motion for more sandwich shops downtown. I'd really like some choices for basic deli sandwiches.

Panera's biggest appeal to me has always been that it is not Starbucks. I'd really like to see one of Tom Colicchio's 'wichcraft shops in downtown Detroit but since they just closed their SF shop [[next to a Bloomingdale's) it may be doubtful if one would survive in Detroit.

One thing that's big with this that I hadn't really thought about before is that they will serve breakfast. Not a lot of good breakfast options in the RenCen right now, and the lines at Timmy's and Starbucks are always ridiculous in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Ben & Jerrys is closing? It had been a good run for them. 10 yrs or so. Maybe they could relocate to the Winter Garden
    Ben & Jerry's was run by Goodwill Industries. Their franchise agreement expired. I remember reading it was a tax write-off for Compuware.

More threads about buildings and food.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2