Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default park avenue hotel implosion

anyone going downtown to see this tomorrow?

freep is saying 8am...

ive never seen an implosion so my wife and i are thinking of going down, seeing it, then heading someplace downtown for breakfast...

maybe then going to eastern market and probably a loop or two on belle isle...

Sounds like a good plan, implosion or no. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Ltdave View Post
    anyone going downtown to see this tomorrow?

freep is saying 8am...

ive never seen an implosion so my wife and i are thinking of going down, seeing it, then heading someplace downtown for breakfast...

maybe then going to eastern market and probably a loop or two on belle isle...
    Sounds like a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Sounds like a blast.
    You forgot your emoticon [[rolleyes) or at least a "lol'.

Quote Originally Posted by gvidas View Post
    The article shouldn't be taken lightly. I've been to two, Edison's 5 Sisters, and Hudson's. Both produced huge clouds of thick, serious, choking dust, that spread far from the actual site.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    The article shouldn't be taken lightly. I've been to two, Edison's 5 Sisters, and Hudson's. Both produced huge clouds of thick, serious, choking dust, that spread far from the actual site.
    This won't be as epic as Hudson's though.

Fifteen seconds? It took less time to bring it down than for me to run 100 yards...

Seems like they hit the 'boom' ignition button seconds earlier than 8 AM. Every vid I'm finding so far is AFTER the implosion... Commercials were going on 2, 4, 7 during the actual 15 second event.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-11-15 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Seems like they hit the 'boom' ignition button seconds earlier than 8 PM. Every vid I'm finding so far is AFTER the implosion... Commercials were going on 2, 4, 7 during the actual 15 second event.
    I hope ltdave didn't wait to have breakfast that long. 8 p.m. lol

Hah, thanks. I revised to AM!

No problem. I found it funny because when I read ltdave's initial post, he mentioned the time and I thought to myself; what if they delay this thing and dave and wife pushback breakfast for a couple hours... lol.

So there have been two implosions within the last 12 hours:

1). Park Ave. Hotel 8:00 a.m. EDT

2). Tigers' bullpen 11:45 p.m. EDT [[approximately) last night.

Good riddance to that place! Now I can't wait to come visit the loading dock! I hear it will draw folks from far and wide.

Last edited by Zacha341; July-11-15 at 09:02 AM.

DetroitBoy Guest

Finally ripping that derelict slum hotel down. Time to clean out the rest of that 'hood and move forward with the New Detroit. Good riddance!

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    So there have been two implosions within the last 12 hours:

1). Park Ave. Hotel 8:00 a.m. EDT

2). Tigers' bullpen 11:45 p.m. EDT [[approximately) last night.
    Yeah I was going to watch the Park Ave. but realized it would pale in comparison to last night's massive implosion.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Yeah I was going to watch the Park Ave. but realized it would pale in comparison to last night's massive implosion.
    You're right about that [[sorry I don't have the source. Think it is ESPN.COM).

• Trailed 6-1 entering the 9th
    • Had a 0.3% chance of winning in 9th [[per FanGraphs)
    • Teams trailing by 5+ in the 9th were previously 0-1,057 over the past 2 seasons
    • Brian Dozier's walk-off HR was his 2nd this week

To anticipate posting [["When will work begin on the Eddystone?").

My guess 2017. Don't want to renovate a building while a massive structure is being built with a lot of trucks, construction equipment, etc.

Another item for Ilitch Holdings 2017 list of 'to dos'...

What about the rest of the abandoned buildings downtown.......kaboom!

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    What about the rest of the abandoned buildings downtown.......kaboom!
    Yeah, they missed one other of Tuller's "gems" right across the street. It's fitting that it only took 15 seconds to bring down, because didn't take much longer than that to build.

Why hasn't the Ilitch operation pitched the Moroun Family/DIBC for the MCS building/grounds? Oh well..

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Good riddance to that place! Now I can't wait to come visit the loading dock! I hear it will draw folks from far and wide.
    To 99.9% of folks visiting the 'arena district' what will be important are streetscaping for those islands where Clifford and Cass come together as well as a lot of other issues with existing structures such as a few houses on Cass and other building between Sproat and Temple.

Also, traffic flow on Cass, Henry, etc. as well as south of the Fisher as well as convenient, easy to exit parking.

I was in town over the 4th and spent a lot of time downtown. I had to park on W. Montcalm by Clifford for a couple Tigers games. $20 a pop. Last year 10 or 15 bucks on Woodward by Sproat.

And the traffic flow behind the Fox is not good. At least on the old Woodward dirt lots [[Henry - Temple) it was a piece of cake to get out onto Woodward northbound or even Cass, etc. even though they were an urban wasteland.
    Last edited by emu steve; July-12-15 at 06:04 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast