Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Kid Rock tells Confederate Flag protesters to "Kiss My A**"

http://entertainthis.usatoday.com/20...flag-protests/

Is there a more embarrassing "representative" for the city of Detroit?

Kid Rock is no dummy. The majority of his fan base probably wet themselves with excitement with this statement. This is America, if people want to listen to terrible music and fly a losers flag, then so be it.

And as far as a Kid Rock being seen as a representative of Detroit. I think the only place people still pay attention to this hack is here so there's nothing really to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by subsidized View Post
    Kid Rock is no dummy. The majority of his fan base probably wet themselves with excitement with this statement. This is America, if people want to listen to terrible music and fly a losers flag, then so be it.

And as far as a Kid Rock being seen as a representative of Detroit. I think the only place people still pay attention to this hack is here so there's nothing really to worry about.
    Oh yeah, this will certainly increase sales. His fans will glorify him even more.

For the record - it should be noted he has given a lot of money to Detroit charities. He deserves credit on that front.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Where should I start?

Quote Originally Posted by jayz View Post
    Where should I start?
    Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by subsidized View Post

you mean like folks who idolize Che Guevara?

Well this certainly solidifies Mr. Richie as a 1st class, mega USDA piece of shit.

Can't wait for all of those Twisted Brown Trucker [[whatever that is supposed to illustrate/mean) fans out there to realize they're in bed with a traitor and enemy sympathizer.

My prediction is that Mr. Richie will now fall from the graces of "Joe Music Consumer" and his fan base will narrow sharply down to being a boutique performer and sucker of the Republican teet ala Ted Nuggent. That's a dying off fan base and I'm pretty sure this will be the end of his "career" as he now knows it. We'll be seeing him soon in that interview of "Where are They Now?" saying, 'That was the worst fucking move I ever made, man. Shouldn't have went for the money and stuck to ma roots, yo!" as he's trying to repent, re-start his career and re-brand himself.

The "South" lost many years ago. Flying that traitorous confederate flag is just like some skinhead flying a Nazi flag -- they both represent losers in a very important military conflicts that helped shape the world and both groups need to get with the program that that shits not very hip, cool or sexy.

And this flag shit is a great example of how humans always seem to doomed repeat historical gaffs -- we never retain the "institutional knowledge" of the reasons why things happened the way they did.

Baselinepunk should save some hot air for the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    Well this certainly solidifies Mr. Richie as a 1st class, mega USDA piece of shit.

Can't wait for all of those Twisted Brown Trucker [[whatever that is supposed to illustrate/mean) fans out there to realize they're in bed with a traitor and enemy sympathizer.

My prediction is that Mr. Richie will now fall from the graces of "Joe Music Consumer" and his fan base will narrow sharply down to being a boutique performer and sucker of the Republican teet ala Ted Nuggent. That's a dying off fan base and I'm pretty sure this will be the end of his "career" as he now knows it. We'll be seeing him soon in that interview of "Where are They Now?" saying, 'That was the worst fucking move I ever made, man. Shouldn't have went for the money and stuck to ma roots, yo!" as he's trying to repent, re-start his career and re-brand himself.

The "South" lost many years ago. Flying that traitorous confederate flag is just like some skinhead flying a Nazi flag -- they both represent losers in a very important military conflicts that helped shape the world and both groups need to get with the program that that shits not very hip, cool or sexy.

And this flag shit is a great example of how humans always seem to doomed repeat historical gaffs -- we never retain the "institutional knowledge" of the reasons why things happened the way they did.
    Got news for you, I'm on assignment in Kentucky and they're still fighting the war down here. After UK [[University of Kentucky) front license plates, the most common one is "The South Will Rise Again" - What does that tell you? They spout the b.s. about the flag representing their "heritage", while conveniently ignoring the fact that their "heritage" is one of among other things slavery, lynchings and the denial of civil rights. And they're not going to change any time soon, flag or no flag. Can't wait to get the f**k out of here.

If memory serves correctly, 3 to 5 years ago Mr. Rock's misappropriation of the Confederate Battle Flag was pointed out to him. I believe it was the summer after he was feted by the NAACP and designated an Freedom Award Winner for his efforts to improve living conditions for black Detroiters.

Summer comes around and Mr. Rock is planning a blowout at Comerica. At that time Mr. Rock said he was ignorant as to the connection between the Stars/Bars and slavery. He said he considered the flag a symbol of rebellion and non-conformity, not a symbol of forced servitude.

He also said he would no longer fly the Confederate flag at his concerts or use it in his music videos. As far as I know, he has kept that promise.

while I am not a fan or follower of Mr. Rock, hence I do not know for certain he has removed all Confederate iconography from his performances.

What I know for certain is that Reverand Williams is an attention whore and professional shakedown artist. Mr. Rock would have done himself a favor and kept his mouth shut, or issued a statement saying the issue was addressed a number of years ago.

As we can read above, few people remember the intital incident and solution. The public has a terrible memory.

Quote Originally Posted by ct_alum View Post
    Got news for you, I'm on assignment in Kentucky and they're still fighting the war down here. After UK [[University of Kentucky) front license plates, the most common one is "The South Will Rise Again" - What does that tell you? They spout the b.s. about the flag representing their "heritage", while conveniently ignoring the fact that their "heritage" is one of among other things slavery, lynchings and the denial of civil rights. And they're not going to change any time soon, flag or no flag. Can't wait to get the f**k out of here.
    Some are ignorant of what the "heritage" is. Others just really embrace it.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    http://entertainthis.usatoday.com/20...flag-protests/

As "classy" as Kid Rock is, Detroit has many other representatives who are far worse...

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    My prediction is that Mr. Richie will now fall from the graces of "Joe Music Consumer" and his fan base will narrow sharply down to being a boutique performer....
    I bet he loses a huge percentage of the Black audience with that one.....

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I bet he loses a huge percentage of the Black audience with that one.....
    What black audience?

CT_Alum is correct. They are still fighting that war down South.

while on a family visit to Cullman Alabama I was truly surprised by how serious they were in their misunderstanding about the causes of the War.

The whole States Rights thing is what they consider the central issue. Restraint of international trade... Blah blah.

My Dad was from down there and always said, "those people won't give up. They are Grey to the bone."

The notion of a privileged suburban guy from the North embracing an explicit symbol of slavery is unbelievable. Is he a complete idiot, a racist, or both? Even that stupid "cultural symbol" argument is nonsense; he grew up amidst McMansions and strip malls far from Dixie.

And his "music" sucks. How can anyone actually pay money to listen to this kind of garbage, with all the wonderful music on earth?

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    The notion of a privileged suburban guy from the North embracing an explicit symbol of slavery is unbelievable. Is he a complete idiot, a racist, or both? Even that stupid "cultural symbol" argument is nonsense; he grew up amidst McMansions and strip malls far from Dixie.

And his "music" sucks. How can anyone actually pay money to listen to this kind of garbage, with all the wonderful music on earth?
    I wouldn't consider Romeo "suburban." When he grew up there [[1970s), that town was still very much in the country, where the hick culture is well-ingrained.

Thus, his antics aren't surprising...

Quote Originally Posted by ct_alum View Post

Where are you going to move to?

Slavery was as much a part of early Detroit as the fur trade. Most residents who could afford slaves owned them during Detroit’s French, British and early American periods, from the city’s founding in 1701 to the second decade of the 19th Century. In 1750, for example, toward the end of the French regime, more than 25 percent of Detroit residents kept slaves.

http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...t#.VaAkS7XW1oc

6% of the southern population owned 90% of the slaves while in Detroit 25% owned slaves.

Slaveholding reflected social as well as economic standing, for in colonial times servants and retainers were visible symbols of rank and distinction. The leading families of Massachusetts and Connecticut used slaves as domestic servants, and in Rhode Island, no prominent household was complete without a large staff of black retainers. New York's rural gentry regarded the possession of black coachmen and footmen as an unmistakable sign of social standing. In Boston, Philadelphia, and New York the mercantile elite kept retinues of household slaves. Their example was followed by tradesmen and small retailers until most houses of substance had at least one or two domestics.[4]

http://slavenorth.com/slavenorth.htm

The north actually had the ports that sold the slaves to the south.

The civil war had little to do with slavery as the north had slaves also and profited from the trading and selling of slaves,it was about commerce and the supply of goods to the northern manufactures.A little research helps.

There is ignorance on both sides,if there is actually a side.

To the poster that said the flag represents the loser so they are losers,think about the American flag and Vietnam could we also be construed as losers?

I was born in the north and lived just as long in the south and 98% do not even give any of this a second thought,it is a tiny percentage on both sides that seem to be vocal and keeping it in the mainstream instead of letting it fade away.

The United States as we know it today as a whole owned,traded,abused etc. other human beings it does not matter North or South we are all guilty.

I see Porter Ricans,Haitian,Mexican,Indian,Pakistani,expats from all nations flying thier flag of choice in America and I may not agree with it for whatever reason but that is what this country was founded on,certain freedoms and the ability to express those freedoms without persecution.

If they want to fly something that they believe in then that is their right and who am I as another American push to suppress those rights that so many have fought and died for.

This is today and now when many cities across the country are denying the rights of others to fly the American flag without restrictions and we are debating about a tiny percentage of those who misinterpret what their choice of flag means.

Kid Rock is a a--hole anyway. Who cares what he thinks?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    As "classy" as Kid Rock is, Detroit has many other representatives who are far worse...
    Classy?? Kid Rock?? Two words that should not be put together in any sentence.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; July-10-15 at 04:16 PM.

He has a right to his opinion. I have a right to mine. When the Howling Diablos invited him to play/spin at their shows at The Bear's Den, many years ago, I would take advantage to converse with people at the bar and in the parking lot. Never liked him. He does deserve credit for his accomplishments, though. I think he is dead wrong with the damned confederate flag, which was raised in the 1960s as a poke in the eye to those who legislated racial equality. As others have said, the only confederate flag that matters to me is the white flag of surrender.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Classy?? Kid Rock?? Two words that should not be put together in any sentence.
    I guess you missed the quotation marks...

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I guess you missed the quotation marks...
    I saw them, decided to add to it. Hope you didn't mind.

I'm not a Kid Rock fan at all, but you people are just following the herd with this Confederate Flag BS. Where was the outrage in the media before the shooting in South Carolina??? The media is only making this such a huge issue, and groups are singling out people like Kid Rock to make $$$$$$$$$. Profiting on a tragedy or making a name for themselves in the government and it's sickening. Kid Rock adopted an ex girlfriends mixed child that he thought was his, has given millions to low income groups and had put a lot of money into the city [[even owns a house by the Detroit River) and because a group told him to stop flying a flag [[something that I've heard he really doesn't do anymore) you are all about it. How about we talk about people who are actually racist or do bad things to people based on their race? That would actually accomplish something.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    I'm not a Kid Rock fan at all, but you people are just following the herd with this Confederate Flag BS. Where was the outrage in the media before the shooting in South Carolina??? The media is only making this such a huge issue, and groups are singling out people like Kid Rock to make $$$$$$$$$. Profiting on a tragedy or making a name for themselves in the government and it's sickening. Kid Rock adopted an ex girlfriends mixed child that he thought was his, has given millions to low income groups and had put a lot of money into the city [[even owns a house by the Detroit River) and because a group told him to stop flying a flag [[something that I've heard he really doesn't do anymore) you are all about it. How about we talk about people who are actually racist or do bad things to people based on their race? That would actually accomplish something.

Kid rock has a bi-racial son. I saw a behind the music episode on Kid Rock a few years ago. There was a little girl who was clearly 100% african-american...and Rock actually thought he was the biological father. Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles could've saw that he was not that babies daddy.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast