Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Coming to Detroit in August what's to do on Friday?

I'm not a night person, so I won't be in the clubs. But during the day is there anything to do in the city on Friday?
    I plan to visit the Russell Industrial Center, but I can't get anyone on the phone to see if they'll be open.
    I know about the DIA and the Library - been there done that.
    Are there any seminars? conferences coming to the city. Yes -- I went to the events calendar for the city and it's pretty sparce.
    Any other recommendations? PM me.

Are you looking for any Friday in August or a specific weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    Are you looking for any Friday in August or a specific weekend?
    Aug 6-8.
    I plan to eat at Union Street with friends because it's central and easy to get to.

Union Street? There are 15 better restaurants within walking distance.

Try Great Lakes Roasting Company, Seva, Hopcat, Falafill, Whitney, Jolly Pumpkin, Motor City Brewing Works, Bronx Bar, La Feria, Selden Standard, Sy Thai. All better choices within a 2 block walk of Union Street.

Try Great Lakes Roasting Company, Seva, Hopcat, Falafill, Whitney, Jolly Pumpkin, Motor City Brewing Works, Bronx Bar, La Feria, Selden Standard, Sy Thai. All better choices within a 2 block walk of Union Street.
    Not a bar hopper. I'll have all day Friday free. Are there walking tours?

Oh man why no love for Union Street? I realize it comes down to preference but Union Street bests or at least equals almost everything you listed.

Quote Originally Posted by TTime View Post
    Oh man why no love for Union Street? I realize it comes down to preference but Union Street bests or at least equals almost everything you listed.
    Amen.......

I'll have all day Friday free. Are there walking tours?
    Unless you book something specially, there probably isn't a walking tour on Friday. Saturday, yes. Do you bike? If the weather is OK you could rent a bike and ride around; that's my favorite way of seeing the city and Detroit is great for that.

Here's some other ideas in greater Downtown/Midtown. Since we don't know your interests it is hard to know what to suggest.

MOCAD might be open. It is open on Fridays but it isn't reliably open in August so you'd have to check.

If you haven't been to the Historical Museum you might check that out. I especially like the Streets of Old Detroit.

The Wright Museum is interesting if you haven't seen it. It has some Detroit-specific exhibits.

I like taking the People Mover just to get the view.

Tigers play the Red Sox that day.

Go look at the Guardian Building and/or the Fisher Building. [[only if you care about buildings...)

Piquette Plant Museum should be open on Friday.

I can just about guarantee that the biggest art event and gathering of Detroit's art community of this summer will be the opening of Cass Corridor artist Bob Sestok's city art sculpture park on Friday. https://www.facebook.com/robert.sest...946681749338:0
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  132.5 KB

Diamond Jack River Cruise - 2 hours, lots of history of the waterfront and Belle Isle and Canada,
    leaves from the Riverwalk area 1:00 - 3:30

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I can just about guarantee that the biggest art event and gathering of Detroit's art community of this summer will be the opening of Cass Corridor artist Bob Sestok's city art sculpture park on Friday.
    To refresh posters' memories, if needed, last summer Robert Sestok staged the hugely successful Big Paintings Show at 333 Midland, an abandoned factory, in Highland Park.
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...d-Park-is-Huge

If you go to the link, I do believe that's the late Leoqueen, a long-time D'YES poster and major area artist, pictured in the 4th picture down, dressed in black.

Quote Originally Posted by TTime View Post
    Run, go anywhere but the Union Street. To quote a great line its "low grade dog food." I would not give the garbage they serve to the rats in the alley.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Run, go anywhere but the Union Street. To quote a great line its "low grade dog food." I would not give the garbage they serve to the rats in the alley.
    Lemme guess...you work in a kitchen or consider yourself a "foodie?" Union Street is reasonable and has serious charm plus I like the food and drink but clearly you strongly disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by preserve View Post
    Diamond Jack River Cruise - 2 hours, lots of history of the waterfront and Belle Isle and Canada,
    leaves from the Riverwalk area 1:00 - 3:30
    I second this suggestion. The Diamond Jack River Cruise is a fun and inexpensive way to see Detroit and Windsor from a different vantage point.
    http://diamondjack.com

Renting a bike from Wheelhouse Detroit, also located on the riverfront, is another fun and inexpensive way to see the city. Spend a few hours riding along the riverfront and exploring the greater downtown area. Detroit is a pretty bikeable city, and you will be able to see and do much more than you can on foot, by car, or by bus.
    http://www.wheelhousedetroit.com/Rentals.aspx