Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Savings Bank

On my way to work each day I take Kercheval and I have noticed a fair amount of workers currently renovating the Detroit Savings Bank on the corner of Van Dyke and Kercheval. Does anyone know what is going on here? They have made quite a bit of progress over the last few weeks as it looks like there is a roof over a newly developed patio area.

Also it looks like there is a cleaning crew[[s) currently working on the elementary school near the end of Kercheval, about a block west of St. Jean. Today there was a shipping container attached to the door of the building in what looks to be the removal of asbestos. Hopefully something will come to fruition here.

[QUOTE=warsaw7;482821]On my way to work each day I take Kercheval and I have noticed a fair amount of workers currently renovating the Detroit Savings Bank on the corner of Van Dyke and Kercheval. Does anyone know what is going on here? They have made quite a bit of progress over the last few weeks as it looks like there is a roof over a newly developed patio area.

Also it looks like there is a cleaning crew[[s) currently working on the elementary school near the end of Kercheval, about a block west of St. Jean.
    Today there was a shipping container attached to the door of the building in what looks to be the removal of asbestos. Hopefully something will come to fruition here.[/QUOTE

That school is probably the old St. Rose Catholic school.

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    On my way to work each day I take Kercheval and I have noticed a fair amount of workers currently renovating the Detroit Savings Bank on the corner of Van Dyke and Kercheval. Does anyone know what is going on here? They have made quite a bit of progress over the last few weeks as it looks like there is a roof over a newly developed patio area.

Also it looks like there is a cleaning crew[[s) currently working on the elementary school near the end of Kercheval, about a block west of St. Jean. Today there was a shipping container attached to the door of the building in what looks to be the removal of asbestos. Hopefully something will come to fruition here.
    I am very happy this George D. Mason & Company design is getting a little love. The building will be retail and lofts.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

This is not the same building but is just a few doors down from the building you are talking about.

http://www.dbusiness.com/daily-news/...-West-Village/

This is my neighborhood. How do you know it will be retail and lofts?

It really is amazing how one little independent grocery store could spur redevelopment in a long neglected stretch. Outside of where I live, the West Village/Indian Village area is my favorite neighborhood in the city. Neighborhood corridors and retail like this can do as much for an area as any large scale development downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_c View Post
    This is my neighborhood. How do you know it will be retail and lofts?
    An architect who lives a couple blocks from the building.

Thanks for the response!

It was sad to see this building when it was operating as a Domino's Pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    I am very happy this George D. Mason & Company design is getting a little love. The building will be retail and lofts.

Lots of news for this block...

"The chef and co-owner of Royal Oak’s Café Muse plans to open a restaurant in Detroit’s West Village neighborhood next year.

Greg Reyner, 46, is renovating the first floor and basement of the 3,806-square-foot building located at 8044 Kercheval Ave. that had been vacant for 25 years to open Geiger Eat Shop. Renovations will cost $300,000 to $400,000, he said."

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...s-west-village

I didn't know this was a Mason design. Beautiful block work on this building. Can't wait untill she's all cleaned up and prudy again!