Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Through the Blue Doors

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...lment-campaign

Seems to me the best advertisement is results. Maybe that $500K would be better spent educating students. If the results are there the parents and students will flock back to the DPS.

I'll wait on the reported results but,.. Who the hell thought up this goofy idea.
    Yes they could provide a lot of textbooks, toilet paper, teacher pay, etc. with that kind of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    I'll wait on the reported results but,.. Who the hell thought up this goofy idea.
    Yes they could provide a lot of textbooks, toilet paper, teacher pay, etc. with that kind of money.
    Other school districts spend money on advertising why can't DPS?
    My problem is I think this is just [[another) awful ad campaign that most likely won't work.

Retroit Guest

I had a lot of confidence in Rob Bobb, but this Blue Door thing has left me scratching my head. Of course, it works out to only about $6 per student, but I could think of many other more worthwhile incentives:
    • Free meal at a fast food restaurant [[maybe the restaurants would even contribute to the campaign)
    • Free book, dictionary, etc.
    • Free school supplies
    If they actually bought new doors for this [[as opposed to ones from a salvage yard), people should be angry.

I believe Home Depot donated many of the supplies and labor for this campaign. They are supposed to paint the entrance doors to the schools blue. I hope it's a decent shade of blue! DPS did upgrade their website [[for the campaign)! It's a great deal faster to load than the old site and it seems a bit more user-friendly. The last retention campaign was "I Am DPS". I still have that t-shirt. The campaign was horrid and didn't work. I'd really like to see this one work but I don't think a bunch of blue doors is going to cut the mustard. I think improved safety [[both to/from and during school) and test scores might do the trick.

MIRepublic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by noenaim View Post
    Other school districts spend money on advertising why can't DPS?

My problem is I think this is just [[another) awful ad campaign that most likely won't work.
    Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. It seems to me that some wouldn't like DPS to do any advertising, and that simply doesn't make sense. Advertising is part of any orginization or business strategy, a tool for both companies booming and failing.

I also agree with you on that I think that this is a terrible add campaign.
    Last edited by MIRepublic; August-07-09 at 10:54 PM.