Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Single mom who wrote open letter to car thief gets happy ending

This car theft happened in the Midtown/ WSU area - broad daylight. Lock your car and preferably have an engine disabling security alarm system.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/29...s-happy-ending

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/29...s-happy-ending

This car theft happened in the Midtown/ WSU area - broad daylight. Lock your car and preferably have an engine disabling security alarm system.
    Thank God, I read the headline and for a split second thought the car-jacker had actually returned it. Glad she got a happy ending.

If this happened in the area where she's asserting it did - wouldn't it be under WSU police survellaince. My understanding was that all of Midtown and Downtown was under cameras that were "so good" they could zoom in and see a license plate of a car crossing the Ambassador Bridge. Surely zooming in on the face of a carjacker in their own backyard should be easy as pie. I'd be curious to see what they say.

If it happened at Cass and Alexandrine, my bet is that this guy will get caught. They caught the two Greektown shooters in less than 3 weeks, and I have to believe there are even more cameras along the Cass corridor. We will see....

p.s. I encourage everyone to park in guarded lots. If you park on the street, extra security is warranted. I hope one day that when M-1 Rail is running, you can just park in a well-secured parking structure at the New Center Terminal and then relax and take the rail in.

Did this person not have car insurance? Certainly what happened is tragic and stupid, but wouldn't her insurance company pay at least something toward a replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Did this person not have car insurance? Certainly what happened is tragic and stupid, but wouldn't her insurance company pay at least something toward a replacement?
    Highly doubt she had a replacement policy on a 17 year old economy car.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Thank God, I read the headline and for a split second thought the car-jacker had actually returned it. Glad she got a happy ending.
    I've actually heard many stories of folks [[many in rural parts) who find their car missing, only to have it returned a few days later [[maybe even a little worse for wear)-sometimes with a "Sorry-but I needed to borrow your car." note on it. In a better world, that would be the situation; obviously not the case here, though. Here in Dearborn, there has been a serious problem with folks being too lax with leaving cars unlocked, valuables left in plain view, and many times, I've seen cars just sitting in driveways with the engine running unattended when I go jogging in the morning. They're on a big "Lock it-or Lose it!" vigilance campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    I've actually heard many stories of folks [[many in rural parts) who find their car missing, only to have it returned a few days later [[maybe even a little worse for wear)-sometimes with a "Sorry-but I needed to borrow your car." note on it. In a better world, that would be the situation; obviously not the case here, though. Here in Dearborn, there has been a serious problem with folks being too lax with leaving cars unlocked, valuables left in plain view, and many times, I've seen cars just sitting in driveways with the engine running unattended when I go jogging in the morning. They're on a big "Lock it-or Lose it!" vigilance campaign.
    It's been on the Pantheion Club jumbotron for weeks now, I miss the food ads. As far as "borrowing" someone's vehicle without prior consent, it's theft.

Yes, and most would not put full coverage including theft on such an older car. The best you can do is at least add a good [[engine disabling) alarm and park in safer areas. Chrsyler's and Dodges are easy to steal, old, new, junker or not. She had a Dodge Neon: a fast steal dream car! Or at least saw off the converter, which can happen to any model/ make of car.

Quote Originally Posted by Shai_Hulud View Post
    Highly doubt she had a replacement policy on a 17 year old economy car.

I work in Dearborn and heard about the lax. It's not extending to me. I'd never leave a car running anywhere on earth. Lock-and-keep with a double-alarm [[engine disabling kind) and a chipped key is how I roll. Even with my older car which came with a factory alarm in the first place.

If you want to give away your car you're lax. If you like your car and the ability to go where you need to go on your own terms you're vigilant.

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    ...Here in Dearborn, there has been a serious problem with folks being too lax with leaving cars unlocked, valuables left in plain view, and many times, I've seen cars just sitting in driveways with the engine running unattended when I go jogging in the morning. They're on a big "Lock it-or Lose it!" vigilance campaign.

happy for her. Who steals a 98 Neon? Dafuq...
    ive had 2 cars stolen in that neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post

Nothing like a 98 purple-colored Neon with a purple-colored neon under the rocker panels. The point is moot, of course.

Consider it 'practice' grand theft auto before they move onto the big ticket, nicer cars!

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post

kindness makes me happy. I'm glad that kind car dealer was able to give her a replacement car. Shoutout to single moms. You're the real MVP's