Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Fireworks Death in Walled Lake

"A 47-year-old man died Sunday evening in Walled Lake when a large mortar fireworks shell he was holding to his head exploded, police said.Walled Lake Police Chief Paul Shakinas said the man's family was devastated as it happened in front of them at about 9:14 p.m. Sunday at a home on the 1500 block of Quinif Drive. Alcohol was a factor, Shakinas added."

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...lake/29455857/

I'd say stupidity was also a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...lake/29455857/

I'd say stupidity was also a factor.
    by far the BIGGEST factor

A Darwin Award nomination?

I'll just do those little hand held sparklers if anything. I'll leave the kaboomb stuff to the fireworks experts.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I'll just do those little hand held sparklers if anything. I'll leave the kaboomb stuff to the fireworks experts.
    They're all dying off.

I'm very happy to watch a few professional fireworks shows a year [[Rochester Hills, Clawson, Comerica Park). It funny to watch people literally burn their money up on putting their family so close to danger.

Happy 4th, everybody. Remember- no fireworks next to your head.

Awww, what a poop!

In my high school in Wisconsin there was a kid who found a military mortar shell in the town dump. He brought it home where it sat in his basement for 2 years. He was a nice kid and curious but 'not the sharpest knife in the drawer'. One day decided to disassemble it. It blew up, killed him and blasted a hole from the basement through the roof.

WWII 'souvenirs' in the form of military ordinance brought home by vets were common back then. That tragedy alway struck me about how the long arms of war stretch out to kill people far after the wars are over. Be careful indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    In my high school in Wisconsin there was a kid who found a military mortar shell in the town dump. He brought it home where it sat in his basement for 2 years. He was a nice kid and curious but 'not the sharpest knife in the drawer'. One day decided to disassemble it. It blew up, killed him and blasted a hole from the basement through the roof.

WWII 'souvenirs' in the form of military ordinance brought home by vets were common back then. That tragedy alway struck me about how the long arms of war stretch out to kill people far after the wars are over. Be careful indeed.
    Read some stories about the lasting effects of land mines. No one knows exactly where they were buried and there are crippled and dead kids from playing in areas that were once war zones. Your story about the high school kid is terrible. No one knew he had this thing, or no one snitched?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Read some stories about the lasting effects of land mines. No one knows exactly where they were buried and there are crippled and dead kids from playing in areas that were once war zones. Your story about the high school kid is terrible. No one knew he had this thing, or no one snitched?
    Having large calibre rounds or even artillery shells and casings on display on a fireplace mantle or shelf was kind of a fad. Ironically they were rather chillingly attractive with their polished bronze. Everybody always said they had been emptied of their charges. So having something like that around probably didn't elicit alarm. For some synaptic reason I recalled his name and dug the following up online and indeed that was the assumption in this case. I forgot the other side of the tragedy, that a family of ten kids out was put out of a home in February during a particularly brutal winter. I also recall there followed a big public push for people to turn in their souvenirs for inspection and or disposal.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2015-07-04 at 10.04.20 AM.png
Views: 900
Size:  230.2 KB

You're right. I do remember friends Fathers, who had been in WWII, having "souvenirs" around the house, including Lugers and rounds. I also remember swords, helmets, and 50 cal rounds. @ the time we all thought this stuff was so cool, no one thought about the dangers of live ammo. I don't recall anyone having grenades or mortar rounds, though. Terrible tragidy.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; July-04-15 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    You're right. I do remember friends guesshers, who had been in WWII, having "souvenirs" around the house, including Lugers and rounds. I also remember swords, helmets, and 50 cal rounds. @ the time we all thought this stuff was so cool, no one thought about the dangers of live ammo. I don't recall anyone having grenades or mortar rounds, though. Terrible tragidy.
    I had an uncle that had a roll of Japanese parachute silk. I guess that save his ass !

I heard a story once on NPR or CBC about how every summer, teams of young men were trained to demine fields and forests in Northern France for ordinance that didn't detonate in WW1. Maybe half the bombs were fuzzy back then, and a hundred years later there are still casualties from farmers or other folk stepping on them.

Here are a couple of articles;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/b...-emerging.html

http://www.rense.com/general47/50000lbWW1bomb.htm
    Last edited by canuck; July-04-15 at 06:16 AM.

Every couple years, Civil War era reenactors and relic hunters die in accidents with live ordnance.

Detroit sounds like it's at war. Someone spent a TON of money on fireworks. Smh

Woo-hoo! At some point they have to stop... I think we're past the highest point [[10:42 PM) no one has endless works! Though I swear someone must have spent a grand!

Tall ones over the trees and roofs, with multi-bursts, within bursts. I hope no one is injured.

Woo-hoo! At some point they have to stop... I think we're past the highest point [[10:42 PM) no one has endless works! Though I swear someone must have spent a grand!

Tall ones over the trees and roofs, with multi-bursts, within bursts. I hope no one is injured.
    The GP side is boring. Good to be on the border!

Me, north of Midtown border just shy of Rosa Parks blvd [[12th street)... it's dying down to a roar!

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    The GP side is boring. Good to be on the border!

Please contact your reps. in Lansing and ask them to support these bills that will repeal the current fireworks law.

http://housedems.com/article/yanez-b...-fireworks-law

LANSING – State Representative Henry Yanez [[D-Sterling Heights) has introduced a package of bills to repeal Michigan’s 2011 fireworks law that allows residents to buy bigger fireworks and shoot them off with almost no local regulations. Yanez’s bills, House Bills 4725 and 4726, would return Michigan to the safer, more peaceful fireworks restrictions that existed before 2011.

“As a former firefighter, I am acutely aware of the danger mishandled and misused fireworks pose,” said Yanez. “Certain fireworks, whether used properly or improperly, can cause serious property and environmental damage, and the injuries can be disfiguring and life-threatening. There’s just no good reason to have rockets, sky lanterns and other fireworks allowed under the 2011 law going off in our neighborhoods.”
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Please contact your reps. in Lansing and ask them to support these bills that will repeal the current fireworks law.

http://housedems.com/article/yanez-b...-fireworks-law
    The law-abiding folks who shot off hundreds of thousands of dollars in fireworks last night and burned dozens of homes don't give a shit about laws.

But there would be less high-end, high velocity works sellers out in the open. We could go back to 'prohibition' days which did reduce the amount. You used to have to drive to Toledo to get the illegals, I am told.

Where there fires this year?

But there would be less high-end, high velocity works sellers out in the open. We could go back to 'prohibition' days which did reduce the amount. You used to have to drive to Toledo to get the illegals, I am told.

Where there fires this year?
    Yes, seems like as many or more than devils' night.

I've not seen any reported fires in the news, but I only looked a bit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast