Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Then and now -- 1955 to 2015

Came across this old photo from 1955. Finishing up my freshman year at Wayne University [[it wasn't Wayne State yet) at my girlfriend's house at Cheyenne and Orangelawn. The two houses are on the southeast corner. Good to see a few things still looking good in the old town. Car is a '51 Ford. Girlfriend and I eventually went separate ways, was saddened to learn of her death in Tulsa in '85. Wonder when they took down the TV antennas?

Husband saw the Google image on my screen and said, Hey! That's my old neighborhood! He used to walk down Orangelawn to Epiphany School, probably right around the time of this picture. You look pretty spiffy there, Ray.

Good stuff Ray! Thanks for sharing.

And yes, you're a good lookin' dude!

Back then I wore a suit and tie to WS ever day because I had to go to work at Fromm's Hardware on Grand River right after. But it was nothing unusual on campus. Today's students look like refugees from somewhere. Wonder how many times your husband and I crossed paths, Gaz! [[?)

Small world, right? You might have stopped him for equipment violations ten years later, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Came across this old photo from 1955. Finishing up my freshman year at Wayne University [[it wasn't Wayne State yet) at my girlfriend's house at Cheyenne and Orangelawn. The two houses are on the southeast corner. Good to see a few things still looking good in the old town. Car is a '51 Ford. Girlfriend and I eventually went separate ways, was saddened to learn of her death in Tulsa in '85. Wonder when they took down the TV antennas?
    Great car, they don't build them like that anymore.

The historic preservationists would be proud.

Still looks good, but the storm door styles sure have changed.

Wonder when they put up the jail doors?

By the way, you look cute, in your mohair suite.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    And yes, you're a good lookin' dude!
    Ditto! Great guy, nice neighborhood

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    Still looks good, but the storm door styles sure have changed.
    Yeah, I hate seeing the bars on the homes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave70 View Post
    Yeah, I hate seeing the bars on the homes.
    Damn near need them now, prisoners in your own home. My parents use to leave the doors unlocked all the time for me a my brother to run in and out, can't do that anymore. Times have changed, unfortunately for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Wonder when they put up the jail doors?
    Educated guess: 1967+3/4.

Rummaging though family history files can be such a blast. Just today I discovered the hospital bill for my 90-year-old mother's birth. Fresh off the assembly line she cost a whopping $44.50 in 1925 dollars. That included all costs incurred over a seven-day stay.

Oh, man, Jim.....old family records can be amazing, can't they? Here's the expenses for great grandma's funeral in Wichita in 1917. And I have great grandpa's Civil War service records from the National Archives. A thrill to have.

Hey, Ray!! Thanks for the terrific Now and Then pics!! So nice to see you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Hey, Ray!! Thanks for the terrific Now and Then pics!! So nice to see you!!!
    Now and then?

Either way works. Thanks, Kathleen.

Came across this old photo from 1955.....
    I love these "Then and Now" photos. I have one I'd like to sync up with with a modern photo. Maybe I'll get around to it one of these days. Thanks for sharing this with us, Ray!

There were only two freeways back in 1955 with more planned.Name:  7 detroit freeway.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  195.3 KB

Default Before-and-after

Here’s a before-and-after of my old house on Moenart Street near the 6 Mile Road & Davison intersection. Grandpa bought the house around 1930 and my parents got it from them around 1950. My old neighborhood has been completely destroyed but as you can see, some areas have been saved from the arsons fires.Name:  Old house.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  119.8 KB

Heartbreaking. What more can you say?