Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Ben Wallace is back

One year 1.3 Million dollar deal. I'm not sure how I feel about this yet, but so far, pretty bad.

http://www.freep.com/article/2009080...e-for-one-year

I meant to type "Ben" and not "Bell" by the way lol.

1.3 Million is poverty level for the NBA. The Pistons couldn't even sign ME for less than that. It would be worth it if Ben could give the 5-7 minutes a game and a few fouls on Shaq & Superman

Being self employed one thing my succesful self employed father taught me was do not hire back anyone you once fired [[duh) and definatly do not hire someone back that essentialy quits or gives up on you. I am not a basketball expert [[baseball in my house) but I do know I have dated ex girlfriends and it has never been the same, even when it was good!

Blarf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Grundyke View Post
    Being self employed one thing my succesful self employed father taught me was do not hire back anyone you once fired [[duh) and definatly do not hire someone back that essentialy quits or gives up on you. I am not a basketball expert [[baseball in my house) but I do know I have dated ex girlfriends and it has never been the same, even when it was good!

Ben Wallace was never fired nor did he quit. Once his contract expired and he became a free agent, he had no obligations.

Quote Originally Posted by tetsua View Post
    I meant to type "Ben" and not "Bell" by the way lol.
    Ben there. Done that.

"Ben Wallace was never fired nor did he quit. Once his contract expired and he became a free agent, he had no obligations."an

Thank you for clarifying as like I said I know nothing about basketball. I still stand by what I said though. He even contemplated retirement. I am sure he can not do much harm but I still stand by my point, it usually does not work out when you bring someone back, especially if it is on a one year basis.

[quote=Grundyke;53091Thank you for clarifying as like I said I know nothing about basketball. I still stand by what I said though. He even contemplated retirement. I am sure he can not do much harm but I still stand by my point, it usually does not work out when you bring someone back, especially if it is on a one year basis.[/quote]

Athletes are not like old girlfriends, they forget and can actually contribute to the team if they still have the skills. A one year contract can sometimes motivate a player to have a great season in order to get someone to give them a NEW lucrative long term deal

MIRepublic Guest

I was a Ben fan almost up until the end and lost quite a bit of respect for him. But the whole "I was completely wrong, thus I'm sticking by my incorrect observation" was pretty funny.

Seriously, though, a one-year-contract is very rarely ever a good sign. Looks like Ben's just trying to find him a place for his career to die. It's really kind of sad, because things could have been different. He blew a whole lot of goodwill Metro Detroit had paid him.

Quote Originally Posted by Grundyke View Post
    "Ben Wallace was never fired nor did he quit. Once his contract expired and he became a free agent, he had no obligations."an

Thank you for clarifying as like I said I know nothing about basketball. I still stand by what I said though. He even contemplated retirement. I am sure he can not do much harm but I still stand by my point, it usually does not work out when you bring someone back, especially if it is on a one year basis.
    Actually the Pistons made a good offer to keep Ben, but Chicago decided to overpay for him. The Pistons being a fiscally responsible team let Ben walk.

I agree with this however, you only bring someone back if you dangle a carrot in front of them. In Ben's case a one year NBA veteran minimum contract. An ex-girlfriend... a promise of marriage if she behaves herself. lol !

The team is in transition and this will throw fans a bone.
    They had an open roster spot so this will work for a year.
    Nothing worse though than seeing a has-been finish up his career basicly for a check.
    Tom Tresh and Fred Lynn come to mind.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Actually the Pistons made a good offer to keep Ben, but Chicago decided to overpay for him. The Pistons being a fiscally responsible team let Ben walk.

I agree with this however, you only bring someone back if you dangle a carrot in front of them. In Ben's case a one year NBA veteran minimum contract. An ex-girlfriend... a promise of marriage if she behaves herself. lol !
    There was no bad blood between Big Ben and the Pistons, the Bulls over paid the man by about 10 million dollars. What would you have done? In the 09-10 season Ben fills a need and a very cheap price. If it doesn't work out cut him and the Pistons and Ben move on.
    As far as the Ex girlfriend thing, I have been know to send a drunk text or two.