Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Detroit Block Parties Hosts

I heard on the Warren Pierce show yesterday morning that the big, big "block" parties that are in the news lately are actually hosted by drug dealers.

They say that they are providing a much-needed recreational outlet for Detroiters who don't have anywhere else to go for fun.

The widespread neighborhood knowledge of who is hosting these parties must be behind the comment from a family whose family member was shot last week that the "Police Should Have Been Here."

I ws mystifued by that rant because, who has the police hanging around at a party - but now I see why the commentator expected that police would be present. I guess that everyone in attendance understood about the hosts, but not us unaware newspaper readers.

So now, in Detroit, block parties should be shut down.

"They say that they are providing a much-needed recreational outlet for Detroiters who don't have anywhere else to go for fun."

Can't go to Belle izzle fo shizzel...
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; June-29-15 at 11:33 AM.

Ok so lemme get this straight.

We can't party on Belle Isle anymore, or a local park for that matter because they are supposed to be "family friendly" [[whatever THAT means). Can't go to the riverfront without a thousand cops hanging around harassing people. Can't drag race or park and hang [[like at Chandler park). Can't take your dog to the park with your people without getting it shot. Can't let you or your kids walk down the street with more than 2 friends or it constitutes a gang. Can't smoke weed anywhere in a neighborhood with a nosey neighbor or you might lose all of your valuables to police theft, otherwise known as forfeiture. Can't hang out in any establishment after 2am that has alcohol or you might lose your car to forfeiture. Got rid of the Halloween spot, check. Getting rid of John's Carpet House, check.

So in other words, I can't be a grown person, hanging out with other grown persons, doing grown people shit in places other than my house or my block. So lets force all of the people who like to do anything other than ride their bike with their helmet on, sit at church on sun morn or wait in line at Slow's to congregate in places that are perceived as safe enough to be the last resort. Our block.

And now we want to go after that as well. Tell me, why the fuck did I move to Detroit again?

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Tell me, why the fuck did I move to Detroit again?
    At least you never have to worry about running out of fresh water or the city being destroyed by a natural disaster...

We can't party on Belle Isle anymore, or a local park for that matter because they are supposed to be "family friendly" [[whatever THAT means). Can't go to the riverfront without a thousand cops hanging around harassing people. Can't drag race or park and hang [[like at Chandler park). Can't take your dog to the park with your people without getting it shot. Can't let you or your kids walk down the street with more than 2 friends or it constitutes a gang. Can't smoke weed anywhere in a neighborhood with a nosey neighbor or you might lose all of your valuables to police theft, otherwise known as forfeiture. Can't hang out in any establishment after 2am that has alcohol or you might lose your car to forfeiture. Got rid of the Halloween spot, check. Getting rid of John's Carpet House, check.

So in other words, I can't be a grown person, hanging out with other grown persons, doing grown people shit in places other than my house or my block. So lets force all of the people who like to do anything other than ride their bike with their helmet on, sit at church on sun morn or wait in line at Slow's to congregate in places that are perceived as safe enough to be the last resort. Our block.

And now we want to go after that as well. Tell me, why the fuck did I move to Detroit again?

Dang! Damn accurate assessment there Gwen.

Kinda crappy being stuck between The Law and The Lawless.

Another reason I like the up north. Until you experience the freedom and open land available to wander about then you get to see that living in the megalopolis is constricting as hell.

So you moved to Detroit so you can break the law? Gee, thanks

This post sums up why detroit will never have nice things. hopefully there is some missed sarcasm there....
    Last edited by bailey; June-29-15 at 01:24 PM.

Is this from The Onion?

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    I heard on the Warren Pierce show yesterday morning that the big, big "block" parties that are in the news lately are actually hosted by drug dealers.

They say that they are providing a much-needed recreational outlet for Detroiters who don't have anywhere else to go for fun.

The widespread neighborhood knowledge of who is hosting these parties must be behind the comment from a family whose family member was shot last week that the "Police Should Have Been Here."

I ws mystifued by that rant because, who has the police hanging around at a party - but now I see why the commentator expected that police would be present. I guess that everyone in attendance understood about the hosts, but not us unaware newspaper readers.
    You now also understand why there's "no snitching". It's amazing what a burger and a beer will get you these days.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    At least you never have to worry about running out of fresh water or the city being destroyed by a natural disaster...
    ok you got me.

Are you proud to be part of the problem?

Right bailey, we will never have nice things [[as if) because people like me, and there are 10s of thousands of us in Detroit, have a different take on what the meaning of public space is. Is it so hard to believe that all of us aren't falling all over ourselves to re-make the city into the suburbanites vision of white, safe, and clean? I'm sorry but my family and I have been through enough in this city that the last thing we need is to have one more thing we take happy refuge in being curtailed.

Tell me this, if the city starts cracking down on block parties, do you think they will go after the one in Corktown? Or the drunken rut otherwise known as Dally in the Alley? My money is on "nay."

When you prevent people who are responsible tax paying adults from having outlets that they actually desire to take part in, segregate them from what should be considered part of open society, you push them into concentrated clusters of resentment and degraded behavior. Not to mention that many of the young people living in the neighborhoods in Detroit are damn near feral, so add that to the mix and what you get a whole lot of hood drama and violence.

This isn't rocket science.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth." -African Proverb

And wheels, I'm proud to speak out against ignorance and be tolerant of different people and cultures, especially in regards to my Detroit neighbors. The only problem I'm a part of is the one that has to constantly remind the rest of you that this is not a one size fits all civilization, let alone city.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; June-29-15 at 06:44 PM.

Keep it real...No snitching...Acting White...____ is for them, not us...Do whatever you want [[as long as you don't do it to me or my family)...blah, blah, blah

Add in a police/business/white/suburban conspiracy theory and stir.

Honestly detroitsgwenivere, in all the years Dally In The Alley, Corktown St. Patrick's Day, or Tashmoo Beirgarten, Raves, [[back in the day), or countless other alcohol induced gatherings have been around, I don't recall anyone being shot @ any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Honestly detroitsgwenivere, in all the years Dally In The Alley, Corktown St. Patrick's Day, or Tashmoo Beirgarten, Raves, [[back in the day), or countless other alcohol induced gatherings have been around, I don't recall anyone being shot @ any of them.
    Or that they were hosted by known drug dealers and people went anyway

Kind of interesting to read and think about. Segregation has turned into a political hot potato but read between the lines of this thread. I guess it's like many things it has it's good and bad. Just depends on the needs to be met.

That old adage of birds of a feather..........

The real trouble is the gun and run bullshit.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; June-30-15 at 06:51 AM.

I really hope you are being sarcastic. What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Oh my gosh, it's starting to feel like a real city where laws are actually enforced. Perhaps you moved to Detroit for all the wrong reasons? Stop flagrantly smoking weed, stop drag racing, stop staying out till 5 am and do something meaningful for you and your community. Perhaps you do, but you didn't highlight them here with this waste of a post.

I've heard the same bitching over the past 3-5 years, especially with the Belle Isle takover. UHHHHHH....HELLO! This is what living in a functional city looks like. You couldn't get away with this stuff in Chicago, New York, or Toronto. It still happens there, sure, but there's an actual police force waiting for you and now that's becoming a reality here.
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; June-30-15 at 09:38 AM.

Tell me this, if the city starts cracking down on block parties, do you think they will go after the one in Corktown? Or the drunken rut otherwise known as Dally in the Alley? My money is on "nay."
    Correct. Dally and the Corktown mess both jump thru the expensive hoops -- mostly large event liability insurance policies and some amount of off-duty cops hired as security.

It is amazingly expensive to have a legitimate event which is open to the public in this city and involves alcohol. Even a small one.

I predict all the parties will get cracked down on, but the downtown / periphery parties will continue. In a few months, the downtown party hosts will all go "so what? we've been paying that much for years" while the neighborhood hosts are all like: "who has $10,000 to spend on permits, insurance, and private security for a party?"

If we blame the "feral" young, we must step up to tame them. Raising feral adults is not a good idea at all. Could the feral adults be the ones running around blasting people? Why don't we look at them the same way as we look at Dylan Roof, or Timothy McVeigh? They both blasted an innocent, peaceful place for radical reasons. That is what these block party shooter uppers did.

What did they do re: Timothy McVeigh? Put out APB nationwide, and got him. Put barriers around all federal buildings. Put metal detectors in all federal buildings restricting the people's access to their own buildings.

What are they doing re: Dylan Roof? First they got him. Then they took down a symbol of racism. Now we are fighting with the NRA. Again. We need to bring the NRA into the discussion of making our communities safe. No one can argue we have more gun deaths here than anywhere. Well, maybe a war zone.

So, let's get our public health, law enforcement, peaceful gun owners and second amendment activists together to address this devastating public health issue.

Like ^^^^ One thing we keep doing is shaming our allies. Lashing out is not going to help anything.

A few posts have been deleted from this thread for uncivil discourse and a couple more as they refer to the removed posts.

Please address the forum in a civil manner and refrain from personal attacks. We understand this is an emotional topic, but civility is still required in discussing them on this forum.

Please report posts that over step our rules of participation.

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    A few posts have been deleted from this thread for uncivil discourse and a couple more as they refer to the removed posts.

Please address the forum in a civil manner and refrain from personal attacks. We understand this is an emotional topic, but civility is still required in discussing them on this forum.

Please report posts that over step our rules of participation.

Kim Jong Un, is that you?

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post

Please address the forum in a civil manner and refrain from personal attacks. We understand this is an emotional topic, but civility is still required in discussing them on this forum.Please report posts that over step our rules of participation.

Soooo, it is ok to promote illegal activites such as smoking weed in a neighborhood or drag racing in a park?

I'm sorry but cops aren't harrasing you when you are breaking the law, they are doing their jobs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast